Clonking After Rear Disc Change

Started by alfajerry, March 27, 2012, 16:44

alfajerry

Changed my rear discs today.
Now I have a wheel speed related clonk on the left rear.
When I brake to a halt the clonk reduces in frequency, it seems to be one clonk per revolution of the wheel.
Nothing apparent when jacked up and spun.
Any ideas?

Many thanks.
Jerry

Mike_V

Have you checked that all of the caliper bolts are tightened correctly?, just a thought to rule that one out.
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

alfajerry

Thanks Mike, but yes, went back through the whole procedure.
Jerry

loadswine

Jerry, when you jacked it up and rotated the hub, was the wheel attached? I was thinking maybe wheel nuts? Maybe something stuck in the tyre?
I know it sounds basic, but just trying to eliminate things.  s;) ;) s;)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Jay67

warped new disc or caliper sticking maybe?
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

alfajerry

Wheel attached when rotated.
Nothing in tyre.
No indications of sticky caliper.
Discs are Mintex, so hopefully not at fault.
Jerry

loadswine

The brake hose isn't touching the wheel somewhere is it? I've seen that happen before.

kidkarter

hmmm unusual !! cv joint perhaps ? don't usually make that much noise when they start to go on the back of a car but i'm foxed if there's nothing else obvious !? have you tried checking the disc next to the caliper to see if its warped when you spin it ? it'll be easy to see if something not right ?

good point loadswine ! might be catching a balancing wieght ?

alfajerry

I'll be taking it to bits again tomorrow and I'll come back with more info.

Thanks for suggestions so far.
Jerry

smarty72

Have you checked both sides? I know it's obvious but sometimes it can be really deceptive where the noise is actually coming from.

If it was a problem with a warped disc or simiar that was loud enough to notice I would imagine you would feel it through the pedal.
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

kidkarter

yeah true too ! though my money is on loadswines brake hose ! explains why it dissapeared when he jacked it up ! the hose tightened   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

alfajerry

Showed the car to a mechanic friend last night, he gave me a list of things to double check.
Went through them all today and refitted the disc. No change.
Gave up and refitted the old disc.
Problem solved.
The new Mintex disc is faulty.
Now the hassle of sending back and getting a refund.
The last Mintex disc I buy.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Jerry

loadswine

Well at least you got to the bottom of it Jerry. Pagid discs are supposed to be decent and someone mentioned a reasonable deal somewhere on here last week.

normanh

I think Pagid are reasonable at Euro car parts, just looked them up for a 2001 £34/front, £43 Rear. Seems reasonable to me.

norman

Steve Green

Can you identify exactly what the problem was?
Useful info for both the supplier and us!
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

alfajerry

Must have been some kind of distortion in the disc leading to pad knock off on every revolution.
Jerry

Tags: