Track width

Started by Wabbitkilla, March 30, 2012, 16:45

Wabbitkilla

Hi peeps,

Can some of you do me a favour please?

Get a tape measure and measure your front and rear track on the MR2. I'd prefer metric measurements please.

Sight down the outside of the tyre wall to keep it simple, i'll tell you why later in the weekend.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

steve-m-uk

Can do mine when I get back to my car if nobody has done it first but will be about 730pm

Sent from my finger using Jedi magic
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

FGrob

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Hi peeps,

Can some of you do me a favour please?

Get a tape measure and measure your front and rear track on the MR2. I'd prefer metric measurements please.

Sight down the outside of the tyre wall to keep it simple, i'll tell you why later in the weekend.
Not sure what you are after Nic, is it the axle track width or the front to back wheel centre measurement, if it's the axle track it could be difficult if fitted with aftermarket rims due to the different offsets used.

Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Wabbitkilla

Rob, i'm aware of that, and remember my offsets are different too. Which is why I asked for the simplest possible measure as it tells me the relation of dimensions front to back and therefore I can work out what I need to know.

Just measure outside wall to outside wall, simple as that.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

PeteT

Hi Nic
I am just leaving work now. I will do mine for you when i get home. Obviously i am on stock wheels.
Pete

PeteT

Ok Nic

These are measured edge to the outside edge side wall.

Rear of the rear wheel, where the tread contacts the road surface
<-------167.5 cm---------->
____________________/
  <-------167.0 cm--------->
Front of the rear wheel, where the tread contacts the road surface.

Rear of the front wheel, where the tread contacts the road surface
<-------167.0 cm---------->
____________________/
  <-------167.0 cm--------->
Front of the front wheel, where the tread contacts the road surface.
Pete

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "PeteT"Ok Nic

These are measured edge to the outside edge side wall.

Rear of the rear wheel, where the tread contacts the road surface
<-------167.5 cm---------->
____________________/
  <-------166.0 cm--------->
Front of the rear wheel, where the tread contacts the road surface.

So 1.5cm wider at the back.
Good, keep 'em coming

MisterK

Hi Nic,
Front track = 167 cm
Rear track = 168 cm

Stock Wheels 15" Front & 16" rear on toyo proxes 195/50/15 front & 225/45/16 rear.
This was as accuracte as I could get to the outside edge of the tyre with the car in the garage.  Should be pretty accurate as car had a geometric alignment done last week by Matt Performance after he fitted my new springs and disks.

Hope this is useful & interested to see why!!    s:D :D s:D  
Mark
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

FGrob

I've taken the measurement from the front edge of each axle:

Front 169cm
Rear  169.5cm

I'm running:

15" front with 195 / 45 (7" rim width) ET 40
16" rear with 215 / 40 (7" rim width) ET 40

Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

spit

Quote from: "PeteT"Front of the rear wheel

Hope thats a typo Pete, otherwise you've got wicked toe-in  s:D :D s:D  

Nic, here's me now its on the flat:

1670 front, 1695 rear. (Wheels: pre-'lift rear 15s on the front and 'lift 16s on the rear)

The Fyffes banana (same 17s all round) is very different. 1685 front, 1665 rear. Checked and confirmed. I guess thats where its at with no offset.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

PeteT

Re done my measurement and i've edited the post to avoid confusion   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Pete

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "PeteT"Re done my measurement and i've edited the post to avoid confusion   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Muppet   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

PeteT

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"
Quote from: "PeteT"Re done my measurement and i've edited the post to avoid confusion   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Muppet   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s:D :D s:D
Pete

steve-m-uk

Mna mna doo doo de da da mna mna   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Treboeth

Quote from: "steve-m-uk"Mna mna doo doo de da da mna mna   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ m

i am geting old old made me laugh then and still does now  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

PeteT

Quote from: "Treboeth"
Quote from: "steve-m-uk"Mna mna doo doo de da da mna mna   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ m

i am geting old old made me laugh then and still does now  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Thank you for explaining Steve's humour, i should have guessed really   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Why do i find that video funny?  s:? :? s:?
Pete

steve-m-uk

That tune will be in your brain for at least a week now   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Treboeth

Quote from: "steve-m-uk"That tune will be in your brain for at least a week now   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

You wish it`s for life and you know it  s:( :( s:(  

Quote from: "PeteT"Why do i find that video funny?
Why do i find that video funny?

Because it is  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Wabbitkilla

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Could we possibly stay on topic?

steve-m-uk

We could but where's the fun in that?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

PeteT

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla":lol:  Could we possibly stay on topic?
Suppose  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Quote from: "steve-m-uk"We could but where's the fun in that?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Pete

loadswine

Just been out to measure mine as best I can on my own and these are on a stock set of facelift 15/16s with yokos in 185/55 and 215/45. Don't know how well aligned they are, but nothing has been removed recently.
Front 1665mm  ( measured on front edge, outside of tyre to outside of tyre)
Rear  1675mm  ( measured on rear edge, outside to utside as before)
Rear 1cm wider.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Wabbitkilla

Thanks for your feedback guys, all seems to be sorted now.

Since my last visit to the geo chap I've had the rear tyres renewed and with the weather being better and the extra grip I've had a bit of a problem with handling. The rear was very unstable in sweeping bends and never felt quite settled on the straight either ... leaving me feeling the car is quite unsafe.

I had suspicions as I remember he did a lot of adjustment on the Megans so I did a bit of measuring....
Front: 1690mm
Rear: 1655mm

Now bear in mind this is a rough measurement, but is seams very wrong on a mid engined rear wheel drive car with staggered wheels and tyres to have the back axle narrower than the front ... anyone remember the problems with the original XR4i's being rolled by the Police in chases?

Now from measurements of one or two other cars we found their back track around 1695mm to 1700mm according to the same method of measuring. So the evidence provided by you here has given me a clear indication what was wrong.

I paid a visit back to the garage yesterday with Spit and Steve-M-UK in tow for moral support. From the computer it showed that  the chap had done what he thought was right in bringing the rear camber down to 0.15 degrees. But this is what has narrowed the track and he was very reluctant to change the camber saying it would affect even tyre wear and handling. I convinced him the I've never suffered uneven wear with the previous camber, that the drive shafts can take it, that I wasn't prepared to trust the car with the current setup, and that Demon Tweeks actually aim for 1.5 degrees both sides.

So after in depth and at times quite stressful discussion he has re-adjusted the rear camber as I wished ... it's still green in the manufacturers guide.
The result is that rear track has been restored to what it should be, and the rear camber has improved rear stability back to the previous felt security. The adjustments he had made at the front have made the turn in much more aggressive which I'm still not entirely comfortable with but I wonder if it's more to do with my confidence in the handling being damaged more than any physical geometry. Time will tell.

Tags: