adaptor and speaker size help

Started by vekma, March 31, 2012, 08:09

vekma

hi my tf300 has a annoying crackling speaker, thinking of getting some cheap speakers about £30 do i need 13cm or 16.5cm and what adaptor because on ebay they say this is ok  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAK-2912-Car- ... 2ebc50a03c m

thanks
[centre]My Fuel Economy[/centre]

AckersMR2

You will need 16.5
As for the adaptor ring I, as many others have done, just gutted the standard speaker. When you get the speaker out, cut through the paper cone and rip it out. Then you will be left with the magnet in the centre. Get a hacksaw and cut through the supports around the edge where they join to the outer ring, the magnet will then fall away leaving you with a plastic outer ring. Also rip out the cardboard outer ring from the old speaker that is glued to the grey plastic mount. Pull out the stock speaker connector, you can feed the wires though the hole that is left. Now screw your new speaker to the plastic mount making sure you screw it one so as the connectors are close to the hole. On the door, cut off the old speaker connector and crimp on some new spade connectors that will fit to the new speakers you've bought.
My only car is a Ducati 

AckersMR2

IMHO I would also replace the tweeter while your at it. You will need a set of component speakers rather than two-way anyhow. I think Stargazer fitting Halfrauds edge ones which is around your budget and for the money he thought they were very good.
And as you've got the door card off it's a good opportunity to get some Wickes roof flashing (150mm x 10m £13) and sound deaden the door skins and cards too. Have a look at the fitting new speakers sticky for more info and pics.

After all this your probably thinking "sod it I'll live with the crackle"  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

vekma

thanks for the replies, will the adaptors above fit not bothered about 13cm instead of 16.5cm, don't fancy cutting up old speakers in case I sell car on

AckersMR2

I would say that no, those adaptors won't fit, they are to fit 13cm speakers into a 13cm door mount. The roadster has 16.5cm speakers, the screw holes won't line up.

IMHO I would still gut the stock speakers, if you do come to sell the car are you going to bother stripping the doors again to retrieve a pair of what will be second hand £30 speakers that will be worth no more than £10? And if you put the faulty ones back in and the buyer tests the stereo they're going to chip you a lot more that £10 on your asking price? I chipped the dealer £100 because one of my door speakers didn't work!

Either that or you could try asking in the wanted section or email D!ck2ski or go on eBay for a replacement stock speaker and just swap them over, that will cost you about £20.
My only car is a Ducati 

onion86

I agree with the above, I was tempted to buy some stock speakers and gut them rather than doing my own but they're £20 + P&P on eBay so it's cheaper to just gut the existing ones and buy some of the Halfrauds speakers. Well worth £30 fitting new speakers but having to gut yours than paying £25 just to replace your broken speaker with another paper one.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

vekma

will gut them then and leave speakers in if and when i sell car, is it possible to just fit 2 way and just disconnect the stock tweeter, also is it 17cm or 16.5 i am after has 16.5 doesnt seem a standard size

something like these

m http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pio-tsg ... 1722i.html m

loadswine

You can go for a coaxial speaker, they'll probably still sound better than the stock items, but in the roadster a component set will probably sound a bit nicer.
I prefer making speaker spacers out of MDF myself, its no more work then gutting a stock speaker really and it should be better acoustically too.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

AckersMR2

16.5 or 17, doesn't matter, both will fit.  But I agree components will sound better.

You may find it difficult to fit the new tweeter in the stock position behind the stock cover but you can just use the covers that come with the new ones and attach the tweeter direct to the door card. That's what I did.

You can then sell the stock tweeter covers on here, people are always after the ones with the chrome surrounds  :-) :-) :-)
My only car is a Ducati 

vekma

went for 2 ways in the end

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250978213278? ... 1439.l2649 m

cant be any worse then stock

also order some flashing

AckersMR2

They'll definitely be better than the paper stock speakers and the flashing will make a world of difference  :-) :-) :-)
My only car is a Ducati 

vekma

just took door trim off and stock speakers do look dire, my next question is what are the colours of the speakers wires that are + and -

vekma

Right - Green +ve, Blue -ve
Left - Pink +ve, Purple -ve

bit of research found this correct >?

vekma

spent sunday doing this and its great, sounds miles better and now the doors shut like a rolls royce

some pictures

cheeky car shot

AckersMR2

Nice job. Bet your wondering now how much better it would have sounded with component speakers  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Did you put flashing on the door skin itself? With the 10m I bought I didn't have enough left to cover the holes in the door after having done the door skin and the backs of the door cards as well. I just put the stock polythene back over the holes in the door.
My only car is a Ducati 

vekma

had a bit left just put over holes and on back of door cards which helps with rattles i think as well

Chris H

Cheapskate......i bought two rolls of Wickes flashing,completely covered
door skin and door cards.....sounds fantastic.....  s:) :) s:)

no1trancefan

Quote from: "loadswine"You can go for a coaxial speaker, they'll probably still sound better than the stock items, but in the roadster a component set will probably sound a bit nicer.
I prefer making speaker spacers out of MDF myself, its no more work then gutting a stock speaker really and it should be better acoustically too.

can you make me some for my hertz hi energy hsk165? or does anyone know of anyone on forums making i need some rings making im not the diy type   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

no1trancefan

Quote from: "vekma"spent sunday doing this and its great, sounds miles better and now the doors shut like a rolls royce

some pictures

cheeky car shot

is that with the cheaper damping stuff? ive always gone for dynomat but its extortionate

JiMR2

Use the wickes flashing tape as suggested. Costs about a tenner n does both doors. I did the areas shown as per the pics as well as the inside of the metal door skin also. Think i went through 2 rolls all in all but left no surface unflashed!!!!!
AKA Cinnamon Jim

no1trancefan

will do, ill blame you if no good  s:P :P s:P  someone said 50% is 90% of the effect but i was told after id already fitted it on my last car

no1trancefan

i was just ordering some of that hi tack flashing strip off wickes do i need the primer someone left a review saying its got no adhesive properties maybe they were an unhappy customer

m http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/243010 m

onion86

Quote from: "no1trancefan"i was just ordering some of that hi tack flashing strip off wickes do i need the primer someone left a review saying its got no adhesive properties maybe they were an unhappy customer

m http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/243010 m
They probably did it in the cold, it obviously needs to be warm or it won't stick (in the summer it's tacky anyway or use a hair dryer this time of year)...

I used the 100mmx1000mm (rather than the 150mm) to do my doors; a lot of us have used it, works perfectly fine. I did the full inside and covered all the holes, still got stock speakers (on my to-do list!) but it made a massive difference.

Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

no1trancefan

looking at the door cards and having read have about 88mm to play with the speakers im after will need a total depth of 86mm!! as anyone trimmed the speaker area of the door card? wonder how hard it is to cut

Tags: