Removing the Manifold

Started by AckersMR2, March 31, 2012, 16:58

AckersMR2

Hi all just a quick one. What the best way to get access to the 3 amigo's at the bottom of the manifold?
I'm guessing it's a case of get the car up on stands, remove the nappy and do it from underneath?
I've got a Che style manifold to fit. Today I removed most of the heat shield (I take it the third piece between the block and the manifold can only come off when the manifold is removed?) so I can spend the week liberally spraying all the bolts with Plusgas at regular intervals.
I take it I will need new gaskets for both ends of the manifold? Assuming or should I say hoping I have no problems, would any of you also replace the 3 amigo studs/nuts and the cylinder head ones too?
I could always order them and take them back if I don't need them I guess?

One final thing has anyone got torque settings for the nuts on both ends if there are any?
My only car is a Ducati 

normanh

Depends on the condition of the studs in all honesty, wise move is to replace any that turn out as removing the nuts if corroded can be a problem. I would tend to replace all studs and nuts and the gaskets of course, not sure on torque settings but they wont be high into a ali head. Put a dab of copperslip on the threads when replacing them can help removal next time.

norman

onion86

Quote from: "normanh"not sure on torque settings but they wont be high into a ali head
manifold studs are 27ftlb
3 amigos (it states 'front downpipe' on what I'm looking at so assume it's that) are 46ftlb
o2 sensors 32ftlb
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

AckersMR2

I don't plan on doing it twice  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
After owning bikes for 15yrs and their marshmallow nuts and bolts I'm no stranger to copper grease!
I think I'll just get all the bits and bobs and take back what I don't need.
My only car is a Ducati 

AckersMR2

Well that didn't go too bad at all!

I bought all the gaskets, nuts and studs for both ends expecting a nightmare but it all went fine  :-) :-) :-)
I used the gaskets but didn't need any of the studs or nuts. MrT has a policy that unless it's an item they stock in the dealers then they won't accept back any item under £20, so I might not be able to return them, so of anyone is planning to decat theirs then maybe they would like them?

Anyhow, good new a fully intact precat came out  :-) :-) :-)
My only car is a Ducati 

onion86

Nice one, I'm doing mine in a few weeks, I'm sure the bolts look different to how they were in my old car so looks like they will come off easier, here's hoping.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Vikface

Well done!   s:) :) s:)  

What a relief to see the pre cats all in order eh?
2001 MR2 Roadster, Yellow, Black Leather, Air Con, 75k Mileage, Pre cats not yet gutted but will do ASAP..Dev\'s keyhole covers, JDM Front badge and steering wheel Badge (last two not fitted yet) Only had her since Nov 11 so still learning.

dcod

Good job. Remember, precats are just like f@rts; better out than in.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Barney Bear

Good timing on this post as I've got to put a new manifoldon the car  next week given me a lot more confidence on doing the job   s:D :D s:D  

did you remove the rear bumper at all or is there enough room to tackle job ??
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

AmeR

There's enough room without removing body panels. You will probably need to take the nappy off to access the 3 amigos - although I managed it (awkwardly) with this in place!

AckersMR2

I just took the nappy off and a couple bolts from the under tray. I borrowed my dads socket set as it has an 18" bar in it which allowed me leverage and some longer extensions, I would also recommend getting a 12 and 14mm 6 sided sockets rather than the 12 sided ones, less likely to round off the nuts.

If anyone wants them, I will sell the five studs and nuts for the manifold and the three for the other end as I didn't need them? Just looking to get back what they cost me.
My only car is a Ducati 

onion86

Quote from: "AckersMR2"I just took the nappy off and a couple bolts from the under tray.
Who ever invented that nappy needs to be shot, I changed my oil this morning and other than the nappy being cable tied on in no less than 5 places as the bolts had obviously snapped it's right in the way of everything! The oil can be changed with it on as it's got a little flap but not the oil filter    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes: . Worst job I've ever had to do, my MR-S didn't have a nppy and the underside was fine so I've decided it's not needed and it will be coming off for good!

Quote from: "AckersMR2"If anyone wants them, I will sell the five studs and nuts for the manifold and the three for the other end as I didn't need them? Just looking to get back what they cost me.
What was the cost of the studs? Mine don't look too bad and I've been Plus Gassing them a lot but good to have spares if they're only a few quid I guess.

AckersMR2

Their not cheap!
Manifold Gasket £16.57
Crush Gaskets £4.46 each
Head studs £5.67 each!
Head nuts £1.16 each
Manifold to Cat studs £2.16 each
Manifold to Cat nuts £2.05 each

I bought them just in case I needed them and figured sods law if I had them I wouldn't  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
I assumed I could take them back and I haven't checked yet but if these are not items stocked at the dealer then I can't  s:( :( s:(
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

Hi read all about the pre cats and have decided to get mine mine done,does anyone know the best place to get the new bolts from and the gaskets please.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "rachel s"Hi read all about the pre cats and have decided to get mine mine done,does anyone know the best place to get the new bolts from and the gaskets please.

Cheap Toyota Parts (in our affiliate section) or your local Toyota dealership.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

AckersMR2

Quote from: "rachel s"Hi read all about the pre cats and have decided to get mine mine done,does anyone know the best place to get the new bolts from and the gaskets please.

The price i've listed is what they cost me from Toyota dealership. I bought it all preempting having a nightmare of rounded nuts and sheared studs.
If I were you and I was doing it myself again I would remove the heat shield a week before you plan to do it. Plusgas all the nuts and bolts at both ends of the manifold every couple of days. Then see if you can crack off (undo) the nuts. If everything goes ok then tighten them back up until your ready to remove the precats. The three studs at the bottom are harder to reach but at least if you do manage to do the manifold ones you know you'll save that expense (as toyota have told me i can't return them if the dealership don't use them as a stocked item) Depending on the condition of the head manifold gasket you may be able to re-use yours. I would replace the two crush gaskets though.
My only car is a Ducati 

onion86

A Toyota garage is the best place to buy all the bits or from CTP.

I'll potentially be interested in some bits, I might just take the manifold off and see what breaks before though. I'll more than likely need a new gasket as I changed it 3 times on my old car to stop leaking.

Barney Bear

Had this lot delivered by CTS this week
all gen Toyota parts delivery great all in for £89.00  s:D :D s:D
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

Anonymous

This is beggiecommend ning to look more and more like i will be having a drive down to birmingham and get the job done for me unless anyone can recommend anywhere near sheffield.

krazysteve

Hi, try Hawleys at halfway, give him a bell and explain what you want.
You never know?
He has done several custom made stainless systems for my son his mates and me.
Just mention the big lad with the blue swift.
 m http://www.hawleystyres.co.uk/halfway.html m
RACING, because football, cricket, rugby and golf only need ONE BALL

Anonymous

Thanks steve might give them a try.

Anonymous

I had mine removed at aston in sheffield 2 mins off Junction 31 of the m1  it was £78 inc all gaskets and he even takes photographs of the pre cats and manifold before and after next to your reg plate  and he lets you keep the photos as proof they have been removed . try him? Glenn norton motor engineer tel 0114 2874868

onion86

My 3 amigos won the fight last night... put a lot of pressure on them, I don't want to have to get a torque wrench on them like I did in my old car because 2 of them snapped and had to be replaced  s:( :( s:(  I just put a bunch more pen spray on and left them for another day. At least I've got that annoying nappy thing sitting in the garage now though. I may just leave them and remove the whole thing with cat still attached when I fit the turbo to save me the effort  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: