Starting but won't idle at cold

Started by DAZ400, April 28, 2004, 14:10

DAZ400

I have had an intermittent problem that only happens rarely but has now become a permenant one.

When I start the car from cold she turns over starts fine but then the revs die away and she stalls or sometimes idles at very low revs then dies.

I have scantooled it and the air intake temp sensor is working the coolent temp sensor is working.

I have a WB O2 sensor fitted this is reading very lean which is probably right, as the car is not getting enough fuel it seems to keep running.

has anyone had something similar or could suggest something, it could be another sensor or something but which one and where.

I am getting desperate to fix this problem as I desperatly need the car working properly for the weekend.

Thanks Darren.
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

SteveJ

mph had this a while ago - turned out to be a leak in the intake after the MAF - the engine was able to breathe air that wasn't being registered by the MAF. Above idle the air getting in through the leak was less significant and the O2's trimmed out the imbalance.

Given that your car has been ripped apart to change the clutch (they will certainly have had to remove some of the intake piping to do the job) I'm pretty certain a leak is going to be the cause. If you want a hand tracking it down give me a shout - I'm only in Luton and could pop up to MK to help.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"I'm only in Luton and could pop up to MK to help.

I could help* too!

* by help i mean stand around and go oohhhh and aaahhhh at the turbo!

DAZ400

Spent yesturday checking what they had done and put bits back to how they should be.

And checked the air intake bits.

SteveJ

Have you checked the airflow that is going through the MAF (I assume the GReddy will tell you this figure) and compared that to what the ECU is being told (need PocketLogger to do this which I just happen to have courtesy of mark!)?

DAZ400

Ok checkecked the MAF Greddy is reading a value that seems about right the greddy also outputs the same as there is no conversion in my setup. But to be double sure disconnected from greddy now and wiring checked and no difference.

Checked all the other greddy wiring all seems fine and car starts staight away with no long starting turn over so I am sure it is not injectors or Ignition.

Scantool tells me the air temp is reading right and Engine coolent temp reading right.

First thing I did see however was the numnuts at T kindly clamped my O2 signal wire between the SMT ECU and its bracket for me and when I first saw this thought that might be the issue but removed this wire and reconnected it but same problem. So I thought that it the crushed wire was shorting to GND then it might have damaged the WB O2 controller output but this does appear to be working so escaped that one phew.....

So all the basics seem to be fine but still no joy.

Will pick mate up from station tonight and get hime to sit in car try and keep engine running while I check the dump valve and pipes for air leaks I am good but can't be in 2 places at once.

If this is ok I am thinking duff Engine ECU or some other sensor somewhere else or maybe they needed to update the software in my Engine ECU after replacing the "Upgraded SMT ECU" anyway looks like it might have to get trucked to garage on friday and leave it with them until they fix it.

I know it worked before they had it, how hard can it be to fit a clutch and have a working car afterwards ?

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:     s:cry: :cry: s:cry:      s:cry: :cry: s:cry:     s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  
  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

heathstimpson

Daz we should rename you 'LUCKY' I can't beleive the grief you have had of late. Someones trying to stop you emigrating  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

DAZ400

Yes heath conspiracy I think.

Got to get car back to dealer thats not going to be easy lost my tow hook also can only be winched from the back because of trail kit.

Looks like bungalow sale is now all falling through as well.

I am waiting for a thunder storm so I can be struck down by lightning !!!!!!

Anyway booked a flight to Menorca now on Monday going regardless, it is my birthday Tuesday and need to get away before I have a meltdown.

s:( :( s:(    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Hopefully you'll look back at this while your sat in the sun, in a month or so and laugh. It hasn't been the best few months for you but it can't get much worse....I hope.

Good luck anyway..... I like your updated location under your avatar   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

DAZ400

Update I am missing the car, still at dealers and they don´t know what is wrong with it, there is no CEL codes so they are scratching their heads. They are not prepared to order bits to replace them unless I pay for them as they are saying they will not support me under warrenty. I argue that the car is effectivly standard as I have Temp removed the Greddy and if you don´t drive the car in boost then it is just like NA but they are not grasping this concept. You should be able to start the car put it in gear and drive it, if it fails to do this then it is broke, I am suspecting Engine ECU or IAC or some other part of the drive by wire system. The problem I have is they want to give up on it and leave me a broken car with no access to spares it will cost me a fortune to start buying bits myself and swapping them until I find the problem.

Any help advice or anything is appreciated.

I must have some rights as a consumer of a product that has gone faulty.

And also when you sign the form for sevicing apparently you sign away all the garages resposibillty for you car, don´t seem fair to me.

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:     s:cry: :cry: s:cry:     s:cry: :cry: s:cry:     s:cry: :cry: s:cry:     s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

markiii

unfortunately, with such drastic mods, dealers are going to be loathe to get to involved, toyota GB can do ramdom inspections fo warranty wotk and if they see teh turbo are likely to refuse to pay the dealer.

best bet is to find someone else witjh teh SMT and borrow their ECU to see if that fixes it.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: