Adding Some Extra Fun

Started by AmeR, April 3, 2012, 23:06

AmeR

Now that I'm in my 5th year of Roadster ownership, it finally looks like I will be scratching an itch and answering a question I've had for a long time....

What happens if I take one of these:

And one of these:

And attack it with little more than ambition and determination!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

The kit is a Hass II kit (with a few extras) purchased from SimonC_Here, and dragged up to sunny Blackpool by Wabbitkilla and FGRob (Massive thank you to you both!  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  ).

I've started this thread as I have never attempted anything this big before so I will really appreciate help and advice as I go along. Also I'm sure I will have plenty of queries (wanting to keep them all together as they may help others in the future!) that the collective experience on here will no doubt have answers to!   s8) 8) s8)  

As a starter, here is the progress so far:

Special Delivery:

Dining Room:

Off comes the bumper:

Off comes the manifold:

Exhaust should be off tomorrow, followed by draining the oil and giving it a right good clean in there before throwing in all the fun bits!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Oh and here's the kitchen at the minute:

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:

woodman

s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  go on lad!  s:P :P s:P
JDM[size=85]addict[/size]

Treboeth

Go for it  s:D :D s:D  

Nice to see you keeping the bits in the house and not making a mess in the garage  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Wabbitkilla

[MOD]Moved to performance [/MOD]

Yay ... looking like fun   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

PeteT

I am looking forward to seeing this build Paul. You've been twittering on about boosting your car since i've known you!

Good luck  s:) :) s:)

note to self, I must keep mine asis and not get ideas from this thread!!
Pete

spit

Go for it Paul   s8) 8) s8)  Its a fun thing to do.

Not clear from your pics but if you haven't yet done it, take the rear crash beam off as soon as you've dumped the cat. 5 minutes on that makes access to the install so much easier.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

onion86

Yay  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  I can tell you that when you add the two together you get a whole lot of fun!
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

it sure be fun! oh and are you going to replace the manifold and down pipe gasket?

loadswine

Have fun with that mate!  s;) ;) s;)   Be sure to invest in some ear plugs for that exhaust. However I am investigating something that may help you on that front. ( will keep you posted)
A well set up Hass kit is brilliant fun and you will enjoy it immensely. s:) :) s:)  I had one set up for around 200 horses last year and that was probably the best all round turbo that I've driven.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Mike_V

About time Paul  :-) :-) :-)  Will be interesting to watch this build, you're going to love it  s:-D :-D s:-D
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

Anonymous

Paul,let me know if that TTE exhaust becomes available?   s:D :D s:D

nathanMR2

It was only a matter of time Paul  s;) ;) s;)  come join us   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh  s:) :) s:)
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

stargazer30

Have you got the other bits needed?  I didn't see mention if;

Piggyback ECU
intercooler
uprated clutch

* depending on output *
injectors
boost controller

Still looks like fun!

David
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

AmeR

Thanks guys! Quite daunting yesterday when I said "Shall we go take the car apart?"  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  
Still, I've only really removed the stuff I'd already put on anyway so if anything I've just put myself back 12 months!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Further progress shall be made today I hope!!

Quote from: "PeteT"note to self, I must keep mine asis and not get ideas from this thread!!
Don't be silly, you know some extra horses will be fun!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Quote from: "spit"take the rear crash beam off as soon as you've dumped the cat. 5 minutes on that makes access to the install so much easier.
Crash bar came off shortly after the pics but K had run off with my camera! So you'll all jut have to use your imagination!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Quote from: "loadswine"Be sure to invest in some ear plugs for that exhaust. However I am investigating something that may help you on that front. ( will keep you posted)
That was my concern when the kit turned up!! Exhaust didn't look quite so big on the pics! Anything that can be done (short of fabbing up a new one) will be welcomed!! Thanks!

Quote from: "life of bryan"Paul,let me know if that TTE exhaust becomes available?   s:D :D s:D
Someone who shall remain nameless has pestered me for it before I'd even put the car in the garage to start work!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I've also had interest from someone else! Vultures, the lot of you!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Although how do you fancy a rear bumper swap? My new exhaust won't fit the cut outs and I don't fancy butchering it up!!

spit

Quote from: "AmeR"Although how do you fancy a rear bumper swap? My new exhaust won't fit the cut outs and I don't fancy butchering it up!!

I'll swap you for a proper stock one.   s:D :D s:D  [/vultch]
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

E

Go for it buddy, mind you, you must be really keen all that stuff has barely settled in the dining room and your fitting it already   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
cant wait to see (feel) the results.

AmeR

OK, so progress today wasn't as epically good as I was hoping...

Exhaust came out:

Shortly followed by the battery, rest of the air intake:

Lots of space in there now:

And I really hope that I can remember where all these go...  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

But the progress was slowed by trying to work out where my air filter should go. I had originally wanted to put it here behind the battery:

Or here below the passenger side rear light:

This made my head hurt:

So I'm sat inside chowing down trying to think. Any advice or experience here would help as I'm torn between the placement options:
1. Below the light would keep it out of the way and potentially cleaner (would probably remove the over the arch tube as FGRob has recently done if I went with this option) but I'd need to take the bumper off each time that I wanted to check it properly or replace at any time.
2. Behind the battery (with battery in original place) was my original choice but seems to be a lot of stuff down there. Now I know that the PPE (?) goes behind there with the battery in place so it is possible, but I don't want my Apexi cramed in and maybe banging off anything!!
3. Where the battery currently sits and resiting the battery to down near the cross member

To lighten the mood, and for those concerned that I am taking over the house with car bits will be glad to know that I have shifted my rear bumper from the kitchen.... and replaced it with my exhaust!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

steve-m-uk

Here's how I did mine, may give you some inspiration  s:) :) s:)  

Sent from my finger using Jedi magic
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

loadswine

With the Hass air intake, I found it best to use an air filter assembly that I could duct air feed from where I wanted. A fully open filter like the Apexi will probably need a fair bit of pipework to feed back from your chosen location to the turbo intake. With what you have, I think I'd opt for down inside the wheel arch liner, then pipe it back to the turbo from there.
Seeing Steve post his pic, shows exactly what I was on about.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

aglassinthesink

i'm really looking forward to seeing the results to this Paul! not to put any pressure on your success with the turbo, but you could very well make up my mind about getting one  s:D :D s:D  (and FYI your tyres sailed through the MOT today cheers  s:) :) s:)  [/offtopic] )
-Paul

[size=85]2006 Toyota mr2 in silver. K&N 57i Gen 2, JDM badge and a blingy engine bay[/size]

AmeR

I think I am leaning more towards below the light. Would make it simpler for plumbing in etc. Had in my head that there was more room in the bay than there is... No idea why!? :s  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Off Topic: Paul, they're your tyres now mate, but great news on the pass!! Thanks for not putting pressure on my "build"  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I think if this isn't successful I may well just cry!  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

AmeR

Quote from: "stargazer30"Have you got the other bits needed?  I didn't see mention if;

Piggyback ECU
intercooler
uprated clutch

* depending on output *
injectors
boost controller

Still looks like fun!

David

Just seen your post, apologies. Yes I have everything I need (in theory!):
Turbo
Manifold
Injectors
Filter
Piggyback
Boost controller
Exhaust
Oil sump
Chargecooler kit (incl. rad)
And a car to shove it on... But I already had that!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

As for clutch, sadly pennies are scarce at the mo so will be a later addition. Not ideal I know but will be hoping to get one in a soon as possible. Come on lotto....

Mike_V

Quote from: "AmeR"I think I am leaning more towards below the light. Would make it simpler for plumbing in etc. Had in my head that there was more room in the bay than there is... No idea why!? :s  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  :

Paul. That's where mine is and you only have to loosen the rear light to access it.

Mike
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

nathanMR2

Paul,

It will be a dam sight easier to install the clutch now while you have everything apart than do it later. I very much doubt stock clutch will be up for the job. Id hate to see you put it all back together and not be able to drive it.

LUK clutches are as cheap as chips mate.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

AmeR

What kind of umph can a LUK take? I was hoping to fit a 6 speed box at the same time as the clutch too you see...  s:( :( s:(  

Given the back a right good clean in all the bits you don't usually see:

And finally, all of this for a simple oil change:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: