Adding Some Extra Fun

Started by AmeR, April 3, 2012, 23:06

AmeR

Spoken to Matt recently regarding my options. LUK isn't one of them unfortunately! I'll be looking at either a second hand Helix for similar money or a brand new one for easily twice that price. Then add fitment costs.

Fitment can't really be done until the car is back together as it's not exactly drivable right now, and I'm not feeling overly confident about fitting it myself otherwise I would have bought a clutch by now. It's delayed my progress!

I've never been under any disillusion that the stock clutch would handle the power of a turbo like this. I've spent a lot of time looking at previous threads etc etc

Ste, I'll update with a few more pics shortly (Turbo, etc)

spit

Quote from: "stargazer30"Spit, Are you sure on the Luk

Sorry missed this first time round. Yes I'm sure. You got the very last one.  s:D :D s:D  

Just to be clear we're talking about the made-to-order uprated design fabricated using LUK components here, not off-the-shelf LUK clutches (which are still available and feel great.....but would be a false economy for Paul's application).

Apologies for the slight drift Paul.

I'd be inclined to crack on and see how the stock clutch copes while you're taking it easy and shaking down any install issues. In any case you'll need the car together for a supply and fit option, so bide your time until a good deal on an uprated clutch comes around and you have absolute confirmation that you need one sooner rather than later. Yes your clutch may slip. Conversely, it may give you another couple of years of faultless service. Save your pennies until you know matey   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

AmeR

Ok, so here is a comparison of the oil pans from yesterday. The left one is now fitted to the car:

And here are a couple of pics of the Turbo:

Looking forward to working out where all they plug (think I have an idea of the 2 oil ones....   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

I have noticed this on the middle chunky hose underneath the turbo:

Should I be concerned? Or is this something to expect?

There are 2 braces for the turbo (the earlier pic, and the one next to the hoses above). I've had a really good look all around the manifold including inside it and it seems to be pretty spot on, which is pleasing!   s:D :D s:D  

And here's the greddy sandwich plate, looks like a good bit of kit to me:

loadswine

The exhaust was a custom job, originally made for TommyD, if that is the one that Mark had on his. ( and I think it is. ) Resonance was certainly there on mark's car, but there may be a solution which I will hopefully trial in a couple of weeks on mine.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

AmeR

Thanks, Nige. Yes I believe the exhaust to be one and the same.

Done some cleaning up of the turbo a little today, addressing my concern above. I'm thinking that a new hose may be in order based on this:

And the amount of gunk I cleaned off when removing it from the Turbo.

Luckily I had a spare gasket as the original had seen better days!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The bank holiday will put a stopper on that though, so I have been investigating the spaghetti of wiring that is required. I'm off to do some research on the t'interwebs and through our Reference section to see if I can answer a couple of queries before badgering you lot for some input!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

steve-m-uk

That drain pipe failed on mine, it was constantly wet with oil so I took it off and inspected it , it had hardened with the constant oil temps and age and was showing cracks where oil was seeping through. I replaced it with some flouro lined hose from pirtek and its been fine since.
Also another little tip, check those plastic hose jointers in the end of the braided water lines , I had a right mare bleeding my coolant after a change and tracked it down to one of those which had collapsed inside the braided hose blocking the turbo coolant circuit, looked perfect from the outside though.  

Sent from my finger using Jedi magic
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

vinp182

I ran a stock clutch on my car with C2 turbo kit for 12 months and the only time it slipped was in Scotland after 3 days of hard driving I tried to get the back end out round a hairpin. I only really upgraded it recently as the engine was out anyway
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

AmeR

Great tip, Steve. I'll definitely do that! Would rather get all these little things sorted now rather than having to change stuff when it's on the car! Would rather be out driving it instead!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Thanks for that Vin - My intention is to get the kit fully on, and ease the engine in to Turbo life with a few weeks of tootling it about and "breaking it in". Then we will see how things are with the clutch etc and I will take it from there.   s:D :D s:D

graham read

Hi paul look's as if youve got a real job going on, ref the clutch what sort of miles are on your (old clutch). If i can be of any help please ring (TWO HEADS ARE BETTER THAN ONE  EVEN IF THERE BLOCK HEAD'S) MY mate will do the clutch for £120 plus parts .mob 07969823802.

loadswine

I went with fluoro lined silicon for my oil return too. These rubber ones often need replacing on a re install. At least you know everything is taken care of this way.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

AmeR

Cheers guys, just on Pritek's website and there is one in Preston! Looks like it'll be a Friday afternoon jobbie though due to the inconsiderate bank holiday!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

steve-m-uk

Not that it narrows it down much but the hose i used is a blue silicone outer with a red fluoro inner. The plastic couplers for the water lines are available on cheese bay for not much money, whilst your at it check to see if your kit has a restrictor for the oil flow,it will be screwed into the oil inlet and should have a about a 1mm hole for the oil,ball bearing turbo's require much less oil pressure than the engine produces and without a restrictor the turbo seals die eventually, mine did recently and it cost £700 to replace the turbo   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  some Hass kits came without the restrictor so it's worth checking.

AmeR

Quote from: "steve-m-uk"Also another little tip, check those plastic hose jointers in the end of the braided water lines , I had a right mare bleeding my coolant after a change and tracked it down to one of those which had collapsed inside the braided hose blocking the turbo coolant circuit, looked perfect from the outside though.  

Checked these and they seem to be perfect luckily!!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Quote from: "steve-m-uk"Not that it narrows it down much but the hose i used is a blue silicone outer with a red fluoro inner. The plastic couplers for the water lines are available on cheese bay for not much money, whilst your at it check to see if your kit has a restrictor for the oil flow,it will be screwed into the oil inlet and should have a about a 1mm hole for the oil,ball bearing turbo's require much less oil pressure than the engine produces and without a restrictor the turbo seals die eventually, mine did recently and it cost £700 to replace the turbo   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  some Hass kits came without the restrictor so it's worth checking.

Restrictor was in and even has a little heat wrap strapped around so happy with that! Cheers for the heads up!!

Just shopping for some heatwrap and steel ties to tart the exhaust up where some of the wrap has basically died!!   s:x :x s:x
May try and pick up a few extra clips etc to tidy up things. Any recommendations for replacing the jubilee clips?

AmeR

Also, whilst I'm at it I am thinking of getting some connectors for the 525cc blitz injectors that came with the kit. I've seen these from MWR:
 m http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... ts_id=1053 m
 m http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... ts_id=1052 m

Any body know if they work with injectors other than MWR's own?

AmeR

Ok, so to keep this up to date, I have dropped off my oil return hose at Pirtek today. They will be making me a new one tomorrow (apparently they have done a few and the guy seemed fairly unsurprised by the request!  s:D :D s:D  ) and all being well, this should be on tomorrow evening if I can collect it from work.

I've also ordered some heat wrap and steel ties to tidy up the exhaust a little. I'm also looking to order a Turbo to Exhaust gasket. I'm sure I've seen this on here somewhere, but can't seem to find the info now that I need it!?   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:   Am I right in thinking it's a Volvo (or something?) gasket that fits? I have found a couple on eBay for around about a tenner, but I'm not sure how great they will be...   s:? :? s:?

steve-m-uk

The gasket you want is a Nissan one ,if you search for GT28r gasket on the bay you should find the one, try to avoid the ones that look like they have tiny holes in them all over the surface,they are not good. You want the metal ones that crush to make the seal ,you'll know what i mean when you have a look,if in doubt get a genuine Nissan one,whilst your at it get two bolt retainers from Nissan ,these lock the bolts that fasten your turbo to the manifold and are needed(although you may have some already with the Hass kit,heat and vibration will soon see your turbo nuts fall off without.

AmeR

Cheers, Steve. I'll scoot over and have a nosey.

I've been eyeing up nordlocks for the bolts on the kit - Heard very good things about them, and there are actually some (reasonable well used) ones on the exhaust at the moment. Will be looking to pick some of them up when the kit is on so that I can feel reasonably comfortable that I won't see bits bouncing out in my rear view!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

steve-m-uk

This is the thing with turbo kits, it's not the big parts that are the issue ,it's all the tiny but significant parts that make the kit a winner or not   s8) 8) s8)

SimonC_Here

Glad to see it's getting on to your car!

I actually bought a bit of piping to replace that oil return but never got round to fitting it.
Did you check the little parts bag for a new paper seal? I thought I dropped one in there.

You'll have to check the manifold nuts every time you take it out to check for them going loose. Well at least until you are sure they aren't going anywhere.
If you are looking at things to stop the nuts turning, the fold up ones from Nissan that are on the turbo -> manifold nuts work really well.

The manifold had started to crack a little so I got it rewelded and skimmed flat so it should be good just get the bracing on tight.

Going to be keeping an eye on the build(rebuild?)

AmeR

Well unfortunately I have been let down on receiving my hose today, but should hopefully be able to post up some pics tomorrow for those asking.

Whilst at it, I ordered one of the turbo-exhaust gaskets from below (Thanks to Ste for nicking it from another thread in the first place   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  , figured I would pop it here for completeness), but they are now £24+vat!!!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Quote from: "spit"Shamelessly poached from a Mark post and in my favourites just in case  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  :

Turbo to Manifold is a rectangular 4 bolt flange, Nissan part number for this on the S14 200SX is 1441575F10 and comes in at £12.70

Turbo to exhaust (odd shaped 5 bolt affair) Nissan part number for the s14 200SX 1444575F10 cost £16.48

These fit standard GT28 Family Garret Turbos including those on the Hass and C2 kits[/list]

AmeR

Ok, a further update mainly to fulfil a promise of posting up pics of the new hose that I had constructed by Pirtek:

Much better!!   s:D :D s:D  

So Friday evening I attached the new hose to the Turbo using the spare gasket (Thanks Simon!), and some more of the liquid gasket sealant that I bought for the oil pan:

Seems to have worked a treat but only time will tell!! It looks like I have used more gasket juice than I have. Was careful not to overload it and clog anything up!!   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

The weekend was a tad more productive but I'll post that up in a mo!   s:D :D s:D

AmeR

So Saturday, the Mrs was working all day so I set about doing a few more jobs. Most notably:

s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Now the bracing that accompanied the Turbo are:
On the left (as you look at the pic above):

I am unsure if this hole is supposed to attach to something!? Concerns me a little. Can anyone shed any light on it?   s:? :? s:?  
On the Right:

This one will fit on once the exhaust has been offered up to the Turbo outlet:

I also replaced some of the heatwrap on the exhaust:

and gave the whole thing a fresh coat of paint:

Well that is progress so far. Ideally tomorrow I would like to do a test fit of the exhaust to help me work out what kind of space I have to work with for the intake and chargecooler piping. Slow but steady really!   s:D :D s:D   Thanks for noseying!

markiii

Good to see my old hass kit lives
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

AmeR

Quote from: "markiii"Good to see my old hass kit lives

Almost, Mark!
Don't suppose that you could shed any light on the Turbo brace could you?

SimonC_Here

I'm sure there were three bolts in that brace. Hard to remember though...
Would be silly if there wasn't.

And I like the tidied up exhaust and oil return.

Tags: