Steering problem – UNIVERSAL JOINT

Started by Anonymous, April 4, 2012, 13:24

Anonymous

£85 plus vat isn't too bad ! Thanks

Anonymous

Quote from: "locobuilder brian"Have just received a pattern steering joint (£85+vat) & a genuine bulkhead gaiter (£20.29+vat) from TCB Performance Parts.
A propshaft repairer could probably press apart & renew the bearings & seals on the original as they are likely to have the necessary tooling.
Intend fitting the parts in autumn or a rainy saturday when my mates 4 post lift is free.
Bri e

As I said in my post, replacing the U/J CLICK HERE   in this item is not viable due to the flimsy construction,  this is made even more of a risky procedure with any corrosion.

As a heavy goods and plant engineer I had access to all necessary tools to try this out, I bought a brand new U/J from George Lodge and son in Hull for just a few pounds and realised after once pressing the old bearing out it would be too dangerous to even attempt fitting a new one. the mass produced steering joint is not meant for refurbishment (it's called built in obsolescence) and for over £100 you have just spent plus any cost in trying to replace the bearing, a few pounds more would have bought a new one.

You don't need to replace this from under the car by the way, just take the front plastics and spare wheel scuttle off (I should have taken the scuttle off when doing the "How to" it would have been much easier).

*EDIT

I might be wrong thinking you have just got the U/J bearing here? if so what do you actually get for the £85?  *

locobuilder brian

Les. Received a new shaft complete with fitted u/j fitted looks good quality. Also bought new push rivets from Clarik ltd 01383 414117 to replace the broken ones when i removed the "frunk " cover, think it requires approx 16/17 to replace all the rivets.
Bri e

Anonymous

Quote from: "locobuilder brian"Les. Received a new shaft complete with fitted u/j fitted looks good quality. Also bought new push rivets from Clarik ltd 01383 414117 to replace the broken ones when i removed the "frunk " cover, think it requires approx 16/17 to replace all the rivets.
Bri e
Ah....That makes more sense Bri

cptspaulding

Quote from: "Les"
Quote from: "locobuilder brian"Les. Received a new shaft complete with fitted u/j fitted looks good quality. Also bought new push rivets from Clarik ltd 01383 414117 to replace the broken ones when i removed the "frunk " cover, think it requires approx 16/17 to replace all the rivets.
Bri e
Ah....That makes more sense Bri
I recently fitted one of those pattern UJs. They're fine.
The maker has stupidly painted the splines so get a wire brush to it & get rid of as much of the paint as you can.
Even then it can be a tight fit into the upper knuckle to start, so worth removing the upper knuckle too as it's easier to fit with that off.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

ElliottTennis

Thanks guys

Going to get the part from TCB also,
02 lagoon Blue, TTE Style Bar, TTE Exhaust, Blitz Induction, Sports Springs, Red Leather, Dark Wheels

@HometyreSheff
Mobile Tyre Services Sheffield and South Yorkshire

ElliottTennis

Bloody hell, just fitted my steering joint,

First so rusted and knackered, had a nice pile of rust under the car but it's in!,

Only issue was getting the sodding pinch bold back on! It's still not on but I gave up so will sort later!

Either way steering instantly fixed, it's never been as good,

Also did an oil change while I was in the mood!

Pathetic thing is I can't work out how to get the headlight bulb out of my van!
02 lagoon Blue, TTE Style Bar, TTE Exhaust, Blitz Induction, Sports Springs, Red Leather, Dark Wheels

@HometyreSheff
Mobile Tyre Services Sheffield and South Yorkshire

Gareth V.

Looking to get a steering knuckel soon, are there an issues with them other than the paint in the splines?

locobuilder brian

Quote from: "locobuilder brian"Have just received a pattern steering joint (£85+vat) & a genuine bulkhead gaiter (£20.29+vat) from TCB Performance Parts.
A propshaft repairer could probably press apart & renew the bearings & seals on the original as they are likely to have the necessary tooling.
Intend fitting the parts in autumn or a rainy saturday when my mates 4 post lift is free.
Bri e
Fitted the replacement TCB pattern steering knuckle last w/e. Freeing the old knuckle off the steering rack splines was the hardest part (it had been on for 13 years) Took a few attempts to get perfect steering wheel alignment.
 In another thread someone tried to get their steering wheel aligned by moving the steering wheel arround on its splines, adjusting on the bottom knuckle is more precise but its still quite a coarse adjustment & you may find the  car will require tracking to achieve absolute perfection.

Tags: