Slow puncture or NOT?

Started by 2 of the left, April 7, 2012, 22:14

2 of the left

I've had an air pressure loss now for a few weeks on the offside rear Toyo - So I called in at Kwik Fit and got them to check it out."Nothing wrong with Tyre" was their conclusion but the paint on my Stock alloys had deteriorated somewhat causing a bleed - Their remedy was to clean off the inner rim of the alloy smear it in gunk replace tyre and job done!! - Anyone experienced this before?
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Anonymous

Rim leaks are generally pretty common and our wheels are known for corrosion so doesnt surprise me.

dcod

Yep, I've had that. Seemed like a slow puncture then suddenly it just let loose and went flat. Tyre was re-sealed and was fine after that.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Curlytoppz

Yep, had the same on my last car.  Was a pain and even when the rim was treated it still had a very slow leak so I just lived with it

VVT-i

Do it every day at work, a rim leak is the most common form of air loss, mostly on alloy wheels.

2 ways to sort it....

1. Quick fix - clean up the rim where the tyre bead sits by removing all of the loose and bubbled material to get the rim smooth, apply some bead sealant and re-fit the tyre, this will keep things good for a while... how long depends on how fast the particular alloy will degrade, which in itself has a few varaing factors.

2. Refurb the wheels, this should heep things going for a fairly long time.. just don't kerb the wheels and let moisture under the finnish.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

normanh

Its very common even on steel wheels as the powder coat on modern rims is not like it used to be, rim seal is the only way other than new or refinished alloy wheel.

norman

2 of the left

Cheers guys for info - Thought I was being fed a line!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Deadmanwalking

Yep me too Rob, sinse it's been isolated, cleaned up and re sealed...... Tyres been a goddun.  Cheers
TOPS DOWN DRIVE THU THE NIGHT CLICK HERE] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37365

Tags: