which caliper wind back tool?

Started by peteopc, April 8, 2012, 16:37

peteopc

Can anyone recommend a caliper wind back tool for the rear calipers? I have seen different ones from 5 to 50 quid. Some suggest that the Toyota calipers are left hand threaded, does this need a specific wind back tool? Any suggestions welcome.

Barney Bear

I used a square sided screwdriver worked a treat   s:D :D s:D  
hold in place and turn slowly
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

steve-m-uk

I use and recommend the Laser one sold by Halfords, it has a plate which imitates the pad being in place and prevents slipping whilst you turn the handle and rewind the piston , they are a normal right hand thread BTW on Toyota's ,makes the job much easier and doesn't chew up the piston like some cheaper ones do.
Halfords do two types,one for right hand thread (you want this one) and a left hand thread version ,they are £33.
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

Steve Green

The Halfords  Laser Brake Caliper Rewind Tool Cat code: 694661-0 will do the job fine. Easier as was said as it fits where the old pad does so stays in place. Any of the other types like the Toyota one I listed in my How To will work. Be aware that during a commercial rebuild it is possible that the pistons get swapped, and sometimes you will find two or more different piston profiles on the same car, needing different tools.
It can be done with screwdrivers and long nose pliers but as in allthings the proper tool is more reliable, pliers are not designed to be twisted!

Obviousy you are going to check that the autoadjusters are working OK, otherwise you will only be taking the calipers off again.

Is also the ideal time to change to stainless braided brake lines. Once all four corners are done you can notice a difference.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

K T M Rider

+1 for the laser tool sold by Halfords, (Laser tool no. 1314) but don't buy it from Halfords (a.k.a Halfrauds   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )

buy it here for £15 instead:

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-1314-Cali ... 089&sr=8-1 m

Or if you need it right away, try Motorworld which is where I got mine for £19 last August.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Steve Green

Quote from: "KTM_RIDER"+1 for the laser tool sold by Halfords, (Laser tool no. 1314) but don't buy it from Halfords (a.k.a Halfrauds   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )

buy it here for £15 instead:

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-1314-Cali ... 089&sr=8-1 m

Or if you need it right away, try Motorworld which is where I got mine for £19 last August.

+1  Bargain of the week?
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Tags: