Gearbox Bearings

Started by Anonymous, April 29, 2004, 11:37

Anonymous

SLM just called me and they reckon they need to change the input output bearings on the gearbox and they might be the reason i am getting a funny whining noise and also having probs selsecting gears.

Must say i am impressed that they called me!!

Anyway what do these do and why might they need changing?

GSB

Be prepared for a lengthy wait as the parts seem to have to come from Japan for some reason.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Seriously.....so what are they for then?

GSB

Bearings? They let things spin inside other pieces that dont want to spin...

The input bearing is on the input shaft, which lies inside the bell housing. This is where power is fed into the gearbox from the clutch. Bearing damage here eventually allows to much radial movement in the shaft, which buggers the seal, which leaks oil onto the clutch, which doesn't work very well when contaminated by oil.

The output bearings are on the driveshaft couplings, either side of the diff. These are biggish bearings as they are subject to all the abuse.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Any ideas why they BOTH might have gone after 9000 fairly sedate miles?

markiii

are you sure thety were sedate   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Nope, these things just happen... Its not very common, your's is only the third one on here that I know of, but it does happen. It could be down to any number of things. Misalignment, manufacturing error, duff bearings, damaged seals, traffic light grand prix's...

Like everything you buy, it's most likely to fail either very early on in life, or near the end of its expected lifespan. Yours went early on, others may not go until 150,000 miles.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"are you sure thety were sedate   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

So when they go do the generally go at the same time?

Not ALL of them obviously, we don't buy a car like this to be sedate all the time but most of the time yeah.

Not many grand prix's lol, again i won't say none as i'd class 0-60 runs etc as the same thing, and we all do those.

I've not abused the gearbox though, the old Astra gearbox.....now that was a different story.

Tags: