Unwanted Spoiler - Folding Soft Top

Started by w00dhead, April 16, 2012, 21:34

w00dhead

Hi, can somebody point me in the right direction as I'm sure this must have come up before...

If you look at my garage pics you'll see that I've got an unsightly and unwated spoiler as the soft top doesn't tuck its ears in. I assume this must be something to do with the little springy-things and straps in the corner of the soft top (as the point of the fold) but I can't work out what goes where to make it fold in nice and neatly... like this  m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox5IidckRIw m

Any pre-existing post with lots of idiot guide photos would be welcome...

Anonymous

w00dhead

Quote from: "life of bryan"http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12581

Splendid. Many thanks...

2 of the left

When you feed the strap across the hood make sure it goes thru the small channel found inside the stitched tunnel (use a wire python drain cleaner) and attach strap to it with twine/string and pull thru OR curtain wire and attach strap to it with heavy duty masking tape  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Anonymous

i to have the same problem. and have feeded through with it clipped on, but ears are still out! any idea whats wrong???

trevsmr2

Quote from: "2 of the left"When you feed the strap across the hood make sure it goes through the small channel found inside the stitched tunnel (use a wire python drain cleaner) and attach strap to it with twine/string and pull through OR curtain wire and attach strap to it with heavy duty masking tape  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
As above ,make sure the strap goes through the smaller channel inside the larger one,its a perforated channel so again make sure it threads through ok and not out of one of the holes

the larger channel is the one in between the two bars  ,directly over your head

inside this is the smaller perforated channel ,

the strap goes through this smaller channel ,(if your press stud has gone ,prise off the black cover to reveal a hole ,then cable tie it together)

AckersMR2

The advice above will sort your ears out but how to make your roof fold effortlessly like in the video? Well I think witchcraft is involved  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Mine is a definite 2 handed operation and it still doesn't sit completely flat and flush like in that video.
Is there a chance his roof is only single skinned or something?
My only car is a Ducati 

2 of the left

Perhaps cold or too much renovater causes it to be a bit awkward!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

mrzwei

The 'nightmare' scenario is that you apply too much force trying to push the hood fully down and the rear screen breaks. Not been reported recently but there are plenty of historical posts. Take care, use both hands and gently flatten the screen into place. The colder it is then the more care you should take.
The oe screen can't be replaced so you have to buy a new hood. Guess how much from Mr T   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

AckersMR2

Yeah I know about that. My hood just doesn't slip over the rear of the two support bars as the screen goes down into the parcel shelf so I have to just gently help it with the palm of my hand on the screen, but once it's down flat the roof is still a bit higher than the back of the car. No big deal at least I haven't got any ears  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

2 of the left

If the hood is up all Winter period then it (the hood) conditions itself to that form - Once you try and drop it for the first time as Spring and Summer approaches it will resist - (after all it is canvas based) - You have to gently train canvas into what you want it to do - You will find it will resist, after being in the down position for a while, to fully go back to the up position - It all depends on usage /ambient temperature and TLC  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: