Why is there a lake in my storage bins?

Started by Sillathrilla, April 21, 2012, 17:03

Sillathrilla

So I turned a corner and heard a flushing water sound behind me, I checked the bins and there was a lake of water. I've heard water in the bins is caused by blocked drains but will that still be the case in this situation?

I've been hearing this flushing sound all week but it was only when I turned the corner that I found water in the bins.

VVT-i

Yes.. blocked drains by the sounds of it.

l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12582 l

I found the opening at the top and put a wire coat hanger down the hole and gave it a gentle prod, the water drained away fine... not suggesting you try this, but it worked for me.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Sillathrilla

Quote from: "VVT-i"Yes.. blocked drains by the sounds of it.

I found the opening at the top and put a wire coat hanger down the hole and gave it a gentle prod, the water drained away fine... not suggesting you try this, but it worked for me.

Thanks, so where does the water sit then, when the drains are blocked?

Anonymous

In the storage bins.

Steve Green

Should we all be blocking our drains so that we can pump the water out when we get home to water the plants?
I'm sure Soutern Water would support the idea.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

dcod

Quote from: "Sillathrilla"
Quote from: "VVT-i"Thanks, so where does the water sit then, when the drains are blocked?

Water is allowed to go down the side of the roof and into the big tray that holds the roof (when it is down). In the corners of this tray there are drain holes. If these drains are blocked, this is where the water sits. If it gets fairly full and you corner, water spills out and into the cabinets behind the seats.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

normanh

You need dynorod use a curtain wire to clear the drains by putting your arm done the inside cavity by the back shelf either side, you will find one of both sides full of water, I did mine yet again yesterday they slowly block with the fine black silt off the roof and the odd leaf a simple job in all honesty saves taking off the side vents and breaking the clips. Once clear flush through with some warm water to get rid of any stubbon residues.

norman

Sillathrilla

Quote from: "dcod"
Quote from: "Sillathrilla"
Quote from: "VVT-i"Thanks, so where does the water sit then, when the drains are blocked?

Water is allowed to go down the side of the roof and into the big tray that holds the roof (when it is down). In the corners of this tray there are drain holes. If these drains are blocked, this is where the water sits. If it gets fairly full and you corner, water spills out and into the cabinets behind the seats.

Thanks for going in to so much detail. Is there any way to get to this big tray to see how much water is in it?

Also is there anyway to remove the storage bins so I can clean out all the rain water crap?

Wabbitkilla

If you have the roof down and peer down behind the drivers right shoulder and the passengers left shoulder you will see this "tray" and the drains should be obvious. you need to either poke something (carefully) like a wire coat hanger down them to clear them or take the side vents off and do it from the bottom. If you look in the how to's in the libraries it's described quite graphically how to do it.

The bins can be removed, but they take a fair bit of jiggling, it's best to mop the water out with a sponge or something before you try to remove them. The three bolts holding the bin door in place and two bolts in the rear of the bins themselves hold them in place.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

dcod

After cleaning them, by which ever method you choose, pour a few litres of clean water into the bins once a month to flush them out. This will keep them block free for longer.

A word of warning, if you decide to take the side vents off, be careful not to break them or scratch your paintwork. It is easily done.

Happy plumbing!   s:D :D s:D
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Sillathrilla

Thanks for all your help guys, I've fixed the issue, it was a build up of silt covering the drains.

AckersMR2

After reading this I thought I'd better check mine. Not had any problems since I bought it but they were a little silted but still draining so I flushed them out with some warm water. Attached some new Velcro to various bits of trim where it had come away.
Then just as i'd finished it started droughting again, as the 2 is our 2nd car we don't really use it when it's wet but listening to the rain patter on the roof is rather hypnotic. Spent 10min just sat they listening to it  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

Was quoted £100 to clear my drains! Luckily I had the sense to look it up so thanks to you guys it's all done now   s:D :D s:D

dcod

Quote from: "jacqui.scerri"Was quoted £100 to clear my drains!

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   By who? Max Clifford?

Glad you did it yourself.   s:D :D s:D

RacingSnake

With regard to what to use to 'rod' your side drains - I alaways use a length of clothes line - rigid enough to go right through the drain and flexible enough not to cause any damage while its in there. Flush em afterwards with warm water & washing up liquid for a squeaky clean finish  :-) :-) :-)

Tags: