Why am I still getting a squeak/squeal ?

Started by Stephster, April 24, 2012, 18:18

Stephster

So, those of you who have been following this long running saga, know that I have had the right brake cable replaced and now the driver's side rear calliper, but STILL I get a squeak/squeal from the brake. Not through the whole braking process and not at the end, but just somewhere before the end.

What can possibly be wrong now ?
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

aaronjb

Does it go away if you (carefully!) tug on the handbrake while you're stopping and it's squeaking?

If yes it's probably the rear pads missing anti-rattle shims and/or coppergrease, if not it's probably the front pads missing the same..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Stephster

I shall check tomorrow, whilst trying not to do a handbrake turn  s;) ;) s;) . If it is that, does it need fixing, or can I just live with the squeak ?
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

aaronjb

If it's just the pads squealing then I'd ignore it.. I've been doing just that on the Omega for a year now   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  (having first checked it wasn't the wear markers, of course  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: