Pulling to the right when accelerating

Started by WillsSayers, May 1, 2012, 09:43

WillsSayers

Hi all,

Car is pulling to the right when accelerating, and pulling to the left when I come off the Go Faster pedal.

Tyre Pressure's are fine.

So I'm guessing this is likely to be knackered bushes or track rod ends? Or could it be as simple as requiring an alignment - it was out when I had the tyres replaced, but I was skint at the time. But I wouldn't have thought that'd cause such a drastic effect?

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

muffdan

I'd jack up the corners and try wobbling the wheels! Could be that something's just come lose or something has significantly worn to that level, then a wobbly wheel will point to this. If everything is tight, then I'd get an alignment check.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

dcod

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Or could it be as simple as requiring an alignment - it was out when I had the tyres replaced, but I was skint at the time. But I wouldn't have thought that'd cause such a drastic effect?

I believe it would. The 2 is a very sesitive car at the front.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

spit

Worth a jiggle before committing to alignment or you may be wasting your money on it.

Sounds very much like a worn bush, or even a loosened brace bar ('floor side member'). I had this when a Che bar was tight but not fully torqued up. Acceleration not too bad but braking caused a huge pull to the left. Gazz had similar symptoms with a bush failure on his rear strut.

Anything been apart recently? Thats always a good starting point.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

WillsSayers

Exhaust replaced recently but it was happening before then. I'll give the jiggle test a go when I can, sounds like a great cost effective place to start from!

I've actually just reattached the underchassis brace if that's what you're referring to Spit? One corner had come out, so that's back in now - would be shocked if that's not tight but I'll double check too.

Cheers for the advice guys=)

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

Wabbitkilla

Any of your wheels warmer than the others after a drive out?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

WillsSayers

I've not tried hugging them yet. What would that suggest if so?

P.S Nic I've still got your sensor socket!

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "WillsSayers"I've not tried hugging them yet. What would that suggest if so?

P.S Nic I've still got your sensor socket!
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Luckily I haven't needed it!

I was just wondering if a binding brake could cause a similar problem, if it was pulling to right under acceleration check O/S wheels for heat.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

aaronjb

My prime candidate would be a bush or bolt on the trailing arms - if I have this the right way round in my mind then the bush is designed to be 'somewhat' compliant such that under braking the wheels toe in slightly for stability.. too much compliance from a failed bush or a loose bolt could well see a wheel (rear offside, probably) toe out under acceleration, pulling the car right, and in hard on braking, pulling the car left..

Could be something as simple as alignment though - the handling on mine was shocking after swapping back to standard suspension as the toe angles were all to pot which gave me some ridiculous thrust angle at the back. An alignment a couple of weeks back helped no end (as did torquing the front wheel nuts up yesterday when I found them to be loose   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

steve-m-uk

Also check the top mounts on your dampers, if one of these has failed it can cause all sorts of odd behaviour.
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

Wabbitkilla

Actually if you were to say the feeling is consistent, then from my current experiences with alignment c0ckups I would seriously look at alignment.

iPap

I'd go for the rear joint on the the rear knuckle/caliper assembly. Specifically the one with the Olive Joint. It's the furthest back one from memory and will have visible play when the back corners are lifted from the floor. They just need tightening up.
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

WillsSayers

Lots of food for thought here guys. Will dig the spanners out owa the weekend, my Celica can be my mighty steed for now!

Nic, it's definitely consistent, 100% always happening.

Tags: