Which Induction kit?

Started by Skorps78, May 5, 2012, 21:27

Skorps78

Its that time!!!

What is the best induction kit for my 2? I'd like to let her breath more easily but don't want to waste my money on something that she won't benefit from.

I guess I'm looking to spend around £150 max but will consider anything above that if it does what it says on the tin!
2002 Lagoon Blue - JSpec Nose Badge - De-Badged Rear

stargazer30

You won't get much if any gain from an induction on its own, save your pennies.  You'd get more benefit spending your £150 on bracing and handling mods.

If you want to improve power then look to the exhaust side first.  Sports cat back and high flow cat, then a markiii pipe for the induction, then a chip.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

FGrob

Take a look at my garage for something that still retains your air box plus uses the Markiii pipe and gives you the same performance as some of the more expensive systems that can be purchased. If you go down this route the filter choice is really down to your own preference / experience. I think all in it cost be about £140 including the filter.

Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

nathanMR2

PPE CAI gets my vote. I noticed a difference when i had one. They are just very hard to come by
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

petej

Cant beat the sound of an induction kit, just accept that there are no performance benefits.

Roof down with the engine lid drip tray removed is hilarious
Middle age syndrome is upon me!!  295hp 3.4l Porsche 987s is the new bigger boys toy.

evileye_wrx

Not a Blitz metal filter one. You may as well put soil in your engine
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Skorps78

Its performance gains I'm really after. Would I be better off just going for some bracing and handling mods then? Where should I start?

FGrob

Quote from: "Skorps78"Its performance gains I'm really after. Would I be better off just going for some bracing and handling mods then? Where should I start?
Stick a decent panel filter in, get yourself a Markiii pipe or make your own - a few people have done that. Then start working on bracing, I'm not sure what the age your car is as the older it is the more bracing your will need. I'd start with the top front strut brace then look at lower bracing at the front and center of the car.

There's plenty of info around, just search under bracing.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Skorps78

Thanks.

Any recommended front top strut brace?

Skorps78

And where can I get hold of a Markiii Pipe please?

FGrob

Quote from: "Skorps78"Thanks.

Any recommended front top strut brace?
I run a Cusco (got it from Japan), there are others like Che, TRD etc etc have a search about you will find different poeple have different ones, the Cusco style allows your to retain the front bin lid, others don't.

As for the Markiii pipe, they do come up secondhand so keep an eye open in the for sale section.

Rob.

chris3boro

Does anyone know the diameter needed for a samco/silicone hose pipe to go from the throttle body to the original air box off the top of their head?

70mm internal diameter is what I am thinking, and maybe stupid q but will it be exactly the same both ends . .?? If anyone can help that'd be appreciated

Thanks

LeeUK

I'm running a Group Buy on both the Front strut brace and front underbrace, that will spend that £150  s;) ;) s;)
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

dansage

i just fitted the K&N kit (£154 fleabay) and did notice a difference, and the sound is lovely
Black 2000 Mr2. 17 inch alloys, 35mm lowering kit, Full stainless proflow double twin exhaust, K&N cool air induction kit, led light upgrades, blue plasma glow white dial dash, short shift kit, push button start, hard top.

Tags: