TRD Front strut brace

Started by AckersMR2, May 8, 2012, 09:38

AckersMR2

Is there a reason why some TRD strut brace's have a hole in them to allow access to the fluid bottle and some don't?
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

Because on the mr-s left hand drive the brake servo in a different place, so they didn't have to have the hole for the bottle. Also that version also has another fuse box in that location.

AckersMR2

So no problems then fitting this to a uk car just means the brake bottle top will be covered.

Well if I can get it for a steal I might go for it  s;) ;) s;)
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

I think the bottle top might need to go through it. I think I know which one your looking at. Might even be possible to mod it so it fits.

onion86

Are you talking about the one that was on eBay that the person bought because he didn't realise it was for a US car? That definitely won't fit as is and I'm not sure if it's worth the 'modding effort' to save a few ££... it doesn't physically sit on top of the bottle, the brace goes around it, the top of the lid sits almost exactly in line with the top of the brace.

Here is it the UK one fitted to my car:
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

AmeR

Unless it raises up it won't clear the lid as displayed in the pic above.
Unsure how you'd go about moving that or modding the brace (wouldn't recommend either to be honest!)

onion86

It also won't raise up to clear the bottle (i.e. with keeping the original 'boots' in place - but that won't be quite high enough) as once it's gone up far enough to clear the bottle the nuts won't fit to tighten it up... it will also most probably hit the bonnet by the time you get that high.

I think you should just walk away  s:P :P s:P
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

AckersMR2

Hmmmm, i see what your saying, I thought the mrs might be a mirror image of the uk car but on further inspection its not, its a different fluid bottle and is located further down. Not sure I can be arsed with all that and like I said I only wanted it if it goes for a steal which I doubt it will. I've just bought a new bathroom so already sold a kidney to pay for that  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  so non essential mods are a no no at the moment  s:( :( s:(  but always looking just in case?

I think i'll pass on this in that case but its their on 'the' auction site if anyones interested?
My only car is a Ducati 

AckersMR2

Quote from: "rbuckingham"I think the bottle top might need to go through it. I think I know which one your looking at. Might even be possible to mod it so it fits.

If I had access and ability to bend and weld metal then I expect it would be easy enough to cut and weld in the hole, but i don't so i won't  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
So am I right in deducing not only is it for the MR-S it will also only fit a LHD model? If the guy was an honest chap he would state that and it would sell for peanuts, then that might be a viable prospect for someone with the gear and knowhow to mod for a RHD to keep or sell for a profit?
My only car is a Ducati 

onion86

Quote from: "AckersMR2"So am I right in deducing not only is it for the MR-S it will also only fit a LHD model?
Correct, it's only the LHD it will fit.. so it will fit the 'MR2 Spyder' (LHD-US), not the 'MR-S' (RHD-JSpec)... (I might be wrong about that but that's what I thought they were called)

As proof, here's the same TRD front strut brace fitted to my old MR-S  s:P :P s:P

Tags: