Tracking problems that AREN'T from the tracking??!!??

Started by Anonymous, May 4, 2004, 09:49

Anonymous

Right, as some of you might know SLM Toyota kindly replaced all my allos and discs under warranty, since i got the car back i have been having probs with the tracking - i had to have the wheel at almost "10 to" to go in a straight line, anyway i went to uni and left it, came back this w/e and took it back to MrT whose tracking machine is broken, bugger.

Anyway i took it to my local tyre place who hooked it up for 4 wheel laser alignment and they said that the tracking is fine!!

They took the car out and said they see the problem but have NO idea what is causing it!!

They also said its the 3rd Roadster they have had in there THIS week (they deal with another dealer Yeomans of Eastbourne).

Anyone else had this prob or got any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance

James.

markiii

if parked up with teh wheel at 10 oclock are teh front wheels straight?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Mine was a bit like that from new, but nowhere near as bad as yours sounds!

They tried moving the steering wheel on the splines, but apparently it went too far the wrong way... I think they ended up doing something with the track rods, which got it almost perfect... not quite tho, so I just had to live with it!

Very odd indeed.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"if parked up with the wheel at 10 oclock are the front wheels straight?

Between 5 and ten to yeah

GSB

If all they did was change the disks and wheels on your car, there is no way they can have affected the alignment of the steering wheel.

For the answer to your problem, you'll have to take it back, because without carrying out a proper alignment check on the front of the car (I'd say you can discount the rear based on the above statement), there is no way to be sure what has caused it. The only thing we can offer you here is speculation and opinion, but not a solution...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

markiii

ok, ca't really help much as to teh cause.

however...

the aligbnment can be spot on and still have the steering wheel of centre.

in days gone by they would simply take off te wheel and rotate then put back on. Unfortunately most can't be arsed with teh hassle now as you have to piss about with teh airbag.

had mine fixed by getting he wheel straight and then setting teh alignment.

this involves adjustment of teh track rods.

coudl you have had a helpful dealer who checked the alignemnt when doing teh wheels discs? and didn't have teh wheel straight when they did it?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

If you release the steering wheel whilst drivong, does the car pull to one side?

If it does, there is something wrong (don't forget to allow for any camber on the road) - best time to try this is if you can straddle the centre line of a straight single carriage way road (watch out for other traffic though  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

If it doesn't, then it's simply the steering wheel is in the wrong place - this can be adjusted in 2 ways -

1) The steering shaft can be released from the UJ that connects it to the steering rack, and rotated into the correct position.

2) If 1) above does not produce a perfect result, get the steering wheel as close to central as possible, then make the final adjustments using the toe-in adjustment on the steering arms - adjust one arm the opposite amount to the other until the wheel is dead center.

Anonymous

It pulls and pulls HARD to the right....also when accelorating when i lift off it pulls to the right.

Its booked in on Saturday at SLM but they are busy so they "might" be able to look at it, can't blame them tho, they ca't help being busy and suppose its cool they are looking at all.

Still its something that was ok when it went it in there.......

Any suggestions as to what might be causing it?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"Mine was a bit like that from new, but nowhere near as bad as yours sounds!

They tried moving the steering wheel on the splines, but apparently it went too far the wrong way... I think they ended up doing something with the track rods, which got it almost perfect... not quite tho, so I just had to live with it!

Very odd indeed.
Mine has also been like that since the day I picked it up. My dealer also tried moving the steering wheel around the splines but it went too far the other way. I asked for it to be retracked straight but it never happened. Its just a bit annoying that its offset to the left when driving straight.
And remember the 2 is very camber sensitive  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"coudl you have had a helpful dealer who checked the alignemnt when doing the wheels discs? and didn't have the wheel straight when they did it?

Their machine is broken so i doubt it lol.....all i know is that it was fine when it went in...................and now   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

I have tried driving in car parks, lanes, roads, motorways etc they are all the same.

If it was like it from day 1 then i suppose it'd not be a problem but IMHO its verging on dangerous, always having to re-correct it, its a CONSTANT fight with the wheel.

MRMike

When you say "had to hold the steering at 10'oclock" does that mean that you were compensating for it wanting to go right..or that was its natural position when standing still? If its like that standing still then the steering wheels position may have nothing to do with the problem your expperiencing since its pulling right.  My wheel is slightly biased towards the left, and it does tend to drift left.  However I think that is mostly due to tramlining.

If the tracking seems okay, I'd see if a calliper is slightly clamped and causing the car to brake.  This would certainly explain why the car moves right when you lift off..I'd try that route.  

Can't imagine it will be this, but it might be worth checking your brake servo..turn the engine off and pump the brake until there is no movement, then turn the engine on, whilst holding the brake pedal if it releases there is no problem with the servo...so may be something else.  Worth trying anyway.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Its to stop it from pulling right, correcting it.

Will go try that servo thing now.....   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Mine was similiar to this when I picked it up from new, my steering wheel was at 11 o'clock to go straight. It literally drove me round the bend (excuse the pun).
MrT had a look and did a re-alignment and the problem was gone.
I'd get MrT to sort it, as it was okay when you took it in so therefore it must have been something they did

Anonymous

Are your all tyre pressures correct  s:?: :?: s:?:

MRMike

Does the person who guesses correctly get a prize???
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

It's possible (however slight) if the mechanic hasn't cleaned the flange thoroughly there could be a little bit of corrosion or debris between the flange face and the new disc, this should be spotlessly clean or all sorts of problems can arise.

Hope this helps.

SteveJ

Werent you just told that your gearbox bearings were toast?

The reason I ask is because in order to confirm that the input bearings were knackered, the gearbox would need to be seperated from the engine and in order to seperate the gearbox from the engine, the rear left suspension would need to be removed.

The pull to the right sounds very much like the left hand rear tie-rod hasn't been reconnected - under acceleration the wheel will pull forwards, causing it to turn to the left - hence the vicious pull to the right under acceleration.

A similar result will occur if the tie-rod bushes have failed.

This is pure supposition, but it is far too convenient that the problems have started just after major surgery on the rear of the car.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cartell"Are your all tyre pressures correct  s:?: :?: s:?:

Yup....checked them twice now with a digital inflator  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"Werent you just told that your gearbox bearings were toast?

The reason I ask is because in order to confirm that the input bearings were knackered, the gearbox would need to be seperated from the engine and in order to seperate the gearbox from the engine, the rear left suspension would need to be removed.

The pull to the right sounds very much like the left hand rear tie-rod hasn't been reconnected - under acceleration the wheel will pull forwards, causing it to turn to the left - hence the vicious pull to the right under acceleration.

A similar result will occur if the tie-rod bushes have failed.

This is pure supposition, but it is far too convenient that the problems have started just after major surgery on the rear of the car.

Ohh that sounds interesting matey...will have to check that out, i have to say that sounds most likely, so if they have forgotten to do that is there any potential long term damage to the car?

Tags: