Ali Mcflys 2 work started - problems already!

Started by alimcfly, May 20, 2012, 11:08

alimcfly

Hi guys

ok so with everyones help on here i am getting there with my 2

as you can see i have added a couple of items:
hard top / trd type spoiler / ab flug eyebrows, there are some items inside like chrome dials
hvac knobs so far
i am now fitting fk lowering springs, alloy/tyres and my brand new tte exhaust as the cobra i bought sounds a little loud.
i bought a full polybush kit, but after having areally good look - i'm leaving it to a mechanic friend.
I am using this  l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12509 l
guide for fitting the lowering springs which is really helpfull - thanks Emmanuel.
I do have a little problem though - i have fitted the springs but when i tighten the centre bolt at the top
the whole shinny middle part of the shocker turns round!

i know i cant grip that as it will ruin it so i am hoping that when i fit it on the car and have the car sitting on the
wheels i will be able to tighten it with my torque wrench??

also has anyone got any ideas of how to remove the old spring from my spring clamp, without the use of a large vice  s:| :| s:|  ?

sorry i have never worked on a car before!

AmeR

Think I torque'd my top nuts up when it was back on the car. Get some grease around the top of them when your done too (under the original caps).

As for the spring, slowly but surely really. Easy one clamp off a little, then the other, then the first, then the second, etc etc...

AmeR

Oh and make sure the top is seated correctly - there's a groove either side I think that you'll need to slot in correctly, then when it's back in should hold things for torquing.

alimcfly

ok thanks
the spring clamp is opened to its full
but the spring is still tight
i think i should have used a larger spring clamp

loadswine

No dust boots at all? Guess they shredded then, often happens.
Agree with what's been said, torque up the centre nut when the strut is fully loaded, being careful not to rotate the spring in its seat.
be very careful not to overtighten the top mount nuts as they can break easily if overtorqued. ( ask me how I know.  s;) ;) s;)   )
I think the compressors shouldn't be at max opening when first put onto the spring, or they cannot release fully when removed, and therefore not compressed by the strut any more. You may need to undo one and adjust it a little , replace on the spring, then do the same with the other before  releasing both. Be very careful when doing this, as the spring will be under pressure still. best thing would be a second set of spring compressors.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

krazysteve

Quote from: "alimcfly"ok thanks
the spring clamp is opened to its full
but the spring is still tight
i think i should have used a larger spring clamp

For the spring clamps re tigthen and use two small ratchet straps to keep the tension in the spring and then slacken your clamps off slowly.
You then should be able to loosen your straps off slowly to release.
RACING, because football, cricket, rugby and golf only need ONE BALL

alimcfly

ok got it cheers
ive got straps somewhere
fitted the tte exhaust and like the sound  s:) :) s:)

Tags: