Steve-m-uk's project MK3 supercharged 2zz

Started by steve-m-uk, May 23, 2012, 01:36

steve-m-uk

Following on from my thread here http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37680&p=449343&hilit=2zz+turbo#p449343
i thought i would start a project thread detailing the trials and tribulations we will go through in converting a '53 plate facelift roadster to  2zz turbo   s:D :D s:D  and then all the build will be in one place.
 So, where to begin,the plan is to take these two and cross breed them to make a monster,stage one will be to convert to 2zz,then later 2zz turbo.

Over at the Spitstop,myself Nic and Ste (and at various times other members and two guys from Charlesworth garage) have been stripping the Corolla of it's engine and parts and we are now at the stage of disposing of the shell,here are some pics of the stripdown.

And one Pete took   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

And also the removed engine ready to begin prep for going into the roadster

Here are a few goodies for the engine

2zz swap manifold

Oil cap ,i know   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  but i thought it was cool

MWR swap mount

Lightened flywheel

So far works has gone relatively smooth,the only hitch being an awful wet dog smell coming from the Corolla, this was discovered to be a dead mouse/rat in the washer bottle, this was found after trying to tip out the contents and only a dribble would come out,after a good shake the whole foul  scock cock scock tail fell out and stank something rotten,we believe this is why the car was sold,the stench must have been unbeareable   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I must also thank Ste for hosting this conversion and also for taking charge and overseeing the sale of Corolla parts,this has given the poor guy major headaches with playing PM tennis on Corolla club   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  
So there you have it, lot's done and loads to do,i will update this thread as we go   s:D :D s:D  
Steve
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

Anonymous

What engine works are you planning? I do love the 2zz with the lift its the only thing my engine is missing.

Jubal

Great project. Bookmarked.

s12vea

This will be interesting reading! Best of luck  s:) :) s:)
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

dcod

Looking good. You'll love the 2 with lift   s:D :D s:D  

Thought about replacing any seals that typically go before putting the engine in? (i.e. timing chain cover gasket, main crank seal. Had my 2zz for a year and they both went)
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

loadswine

Good luck with the project Steve, promises to be very interesting.
Impressed at how you guys made such short work of the Rolla!  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

steve-m-uk

Thanks for the encouragement guys   s:D :D s:D  

Quote from: "rbuckingham"What engine works are you planning? I do love the 2zz with the lift its the only thing my engine is missing.

Nothing too serious, the valve cover is coming off and the updated lift bolts are going in as a precaution,it likely has them but for a few quid i'm not taking the risk. Other than that we need to blank off a few water outlets on the stainless pipe that runs across the back of the engine as they are not used on the roadster. We also need to remove the 2zz loom as it is not used for the conversion,as odd as it seems you use the 1zz loom and add in wires for the lift OCV and lift pressure sensor (which i broke   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  and have a new one to fit ) We also need to swap the knock sensor for a 1zz item, some early 2zz ones are compatible but this is an '02 engine and has a two wire sensor. I will be running the engine on an early Celica ecu to start with (the Corolla one will work but can't drive the roadsters instruments).

Quote from: "dcod"Looking good. You'll love the 2 with lift   s:D :D s:D  

Thought about replacing any seals that typically go before putting the engine in? (i.e. timing chain cover gasket, main crank seal. Had my 2zz for a year and they both went)

I hadn't thought about doing this as the engine is very dry and has no leaks, would be a shame to take it apart. I may wait as i feel i may want to put forged pistons in at a later date.

Quote from: "loadswine"Good luck with the project Steve, promises to be very interesting.
Impressed at how you guys made such short work of the Rolla!  s:) :) s:)

We have the guys from Charlesworth to thank for the progress, the car was driven into place at 11am and by 7pm it was 90% gutted, they worked like an F1 pit crew round the front stripping the engine bay in no time   s8) 8) s8)    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

Anonymous

Well I will be interested on what pressure it takes with the 11.5:1 engine compression ratio.

steve-m-uk

About 7psi from what i've read on spyderchat is ok for a stock 2zz.

Anonymous

Quote from: "steve-m-uk"About 7psi from what i've read on spyderchat is ok for a stock 2zz.

yeah 7 - 8 psi is what i come to work out, however i will find out soon what i can push on mine which is basically a 2zz but without lift, when it goes to be mapped with the turbo on.

steve-m-uk

I'll keep an eye on that one, the high compression ratio low boost thing is where the rally teams started heading as its great for response  s8-) 8-) s8-)

Anonymous

Quote from: "steve-m-uk"I'll keep an eye on that one, the high compression ratio low boost thing is where the rally teams started heading as its great for response  s8-) 8-) s8-)

that my thought, cant think of the manufacture but i think it skydrive or something is the type of technology and they got a petrol at 14:1 or something like that making some good power

markiii

Quote from: "rbuckingham"
Quote from: "steve-m-uk"About 7psi from what i've read on spyderchat is ok for a stock 2zz.

yeah 7 - 8 psi is what i come to work out, however i will find out soon what i can push on mine which is basically a 2zz but without lift, when it goes to be mapped with the turbo on.

as I remeber yours is a 2 litre overbore 1zz?

how is that a 2zz without lift?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

PaullyP2010

Great to see this Steve - I will be following this with interest (and yes maybe just a little bit of jealousy)  s:D :D s:D  

One thing - You say 2zz, then later Turbo, I bet it won't be much later  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Can't wait to see your results.

Paul
2003 Sable Grey
Built 2ZZ Turbo with lots of other goodies.........

chris3boro

This thread should be renamed 'Steve-m-uk's project: mental!'....the good kind of course   s:) :) s:)  This should be some car when you're finished Steve! Will be keeping an eye on it

steve b

Rogue Motorsport when i collected my 2ZZ from them, knowing I have a GT2860RS MX5 said whatever I do don't turbo it as if used on track or hard in general it'll last all of 5 minutes.

These are not strong engines.

Stock cooling system doesn't cope with just the 2ZZ, quarter of an hour of track work gets me up to 108oC, they said all the V6 or 2ZZ track only / race cars they build have the front reworked to have a high volume rad and vented ducted bonnet a la Elise.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

steve-m-uk

really? i have been getting my info from spyderchat where there are a few 2zz turbo's being used as daily drivers. Suppose a lot depends on the map, if there is no det then it will be fine. The cooling problem i've not heard about before,only that 2zz roadsters can suffer from air locks,sure we can overcome any problems that present themselves   s:) :) s:)

steve-m-uk

Another day at the Spitstop saw the loom removed from the 2zz and also the valve cover removed to check the lift bolts and have a general look at what condition the engine was in.
 Surprised is the best word i think for what i saw when the cover came off

Very clean in there,this was clearly a looked after engine, very pleased about that   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Next i removed the lift bolts to inspect and replace them,expecting to find worn originals i discovered the engine already had the updated bolts fitted,they were ever so slightly worn though and i had new so in they went   s:) :) s:)  

Here you can see the removed lift bolt next to the new one

And a closer picture to show where the wear occurs, just where the taper begins you can see the shiny patch, on the old style bolts this would wear right through and the bolt would fail   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

As mentioned earlier in the thread i expected to need to change the knock sensor from a two wire to a single one,this would require removal of the inlet manifold and is a   s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:   of a job, how lucky then that when i shone a torch up and had a look i found a single wire knock sensor so no need to delve any further   s:) :) s:)  Whilst i was in that area i borrowed   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  a dipstick from a spare 1zz and reshaped it to suit the 2zz, the 2zz one wont work as it is round the wrong side of the engine when fitted in the roadster.

I am now back home re-pinning my boomslang harness which used to go between my e-manage and roadster ecu, i will be using this loom to make the necessary wiring changes thereby making the job plug n' play.

Next up i will be ordering some new flywheel bolts,all fluids and filter etc
The planned install date is week beginning 11th June   s:D :D s:D  fingers crossed for a hassle free install.

Anonymous

Quick question Steve, did the 2zz manifold have precats?

steve-m-uk

No bud it only has a regular cat in the exhaust system underneath the corolla/celica , toyota used an auxiliary air pump to get the cat heated quicker,i won't be using it though   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I doubt the Corolla was built for California.

Anonymous

Whats the gearbox plan?

steve-m-uk

Common consensus is to use the 2zz box but this has three issues for my conversion, first the shifter mechanism is on the wrong side requiring parts to be bought to rectify, secondly the 2zz box has no LSD so would need to fit that at extra cost and thirdly the ratios are different, perfect for a normally aspirated 2zz being so short ratio to keep it in lift but sacrificing motorway cruising revs,but as i will be going turbo i don't need such short gearing and prefer to keep the roadster box and retain good low revs cruising,lsd,and the top speed will be outrageous   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

If you want a possible buyer for surplus parts, Hygrade Motor Spares, Oldham are an option. The boss, Saf is a good guy, buys a few bits from me. Hes just off your route from Spits to Leeds.

steve-m-uk

Cheers bud  s:smile: :smile: s:smile:

Tags: