Steve-m-uk's project MK3 supercharged 2zz

Started by steve-m-uk, May 23, 2012, 01:36

steve-m-uk

Cheers Nic, but as you know my bumper is already notched out from my previous system so on a stock bumper it would be very close, depending on how hot it gets you may have to notch the standard bumper to fit one.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

steve-m-uk

This weekend aided and abetted by VinnyP,Stacey,Alan,Rhiana and Kieren we set about removing my gearbox and transplanting the 2zz internals into the roadster case, it turns out pressing gears back onto the shaft is very difficult but we got there in the end, also the corolla and roadster 6th gear are in fact different no matter what spyderchat says, i had them side by side and they are different sizes, so i went with the roadster 6th to drop the revs down on the motorway. Here are some pics from the weekend

I have today driven home from Birmingham,115miles mostly motorway and can report the car is a riot to drive now, it pulls like a train in every gear. Lift is so easy to reach now and it's easy to stay in lift on the upshift, a fantastic job so thanks to all involved   s:D :D s:D

steve b

2ZZ with the right ratios are good aren't they  :-) :-) :-)
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

steve-m-uk

Very good  s:) :) s:)  

steve b

For info the greddy Celica mp62 kit fits with no bulkhead modification but the alternator bracket won't - this apparently breaks on Celicas lots anyway so a bespoke item would be wanted anyway.  Monkey wrench dropped the charger kit price by $600 about a month ago so with No ECu it is good value at the minute you get injectors, inlet manifold etc and good for 260bhp.  No charge cooling though so that's its limit get a bit more with WI.  Keeps the weight down I suppose.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

steve-m-uk

Cheers Steve, one of those kits would be great but not within my budget, i already have an m62 supercharger so i'll be building my own setup, chargecooled of course  s:) :) s:)

steve-m-uk

Here are a few sound clips of the 2zz playing it's tunes through the che lotus exhaust   s:D :D s:D  

[youtube:2klhxq0o]KeUsZ1DdZ4A[/youtube:2klhxq0o]

[youtube:2klhxq0o]jn5GXAg-YnQ[/youtube:2klhxq0o]

[youtube:2klhxq0o]C2LfivVXML4[/youtube:2klhxq0o]

And a couple of photo's Pete T took for me the same night , using a process called light painting

steve-m-uk

The vids work now ^^^^  Doh   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

steve b

Are you fabricating the manifold yourself?  I had flirted with the idea of a supercharger and had talked to MWR ready to buy hence knowing that it fits etc but abandoned the idea as the brackets all appear rubbish and I'd prefer intercooled but only same sort of power as the non-intercooled, Greddy kit (260bhp ish) being able to thrash it for extended periods on track is important to me.  I wouldn't trust everything to not dreadfully heatsoak without charge cooling be it air to air or water.  

Other manifold / charger I looked at a lot is the Vision Function Lotus setup this I think would need the bulkhead cutting but I don't mind that.  This gives provision for charge cooling however you'd want and is listed in their FAQ as available to buy separately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

steve-m-uk

I won't need a manifold as i intend to fit the supercharger to the block just above the driveshaft on the exhaust side of the engine, i will fit a heat shield over it and adapt the celica manifold so it goes nowhere near it. This setup should allow me to pipe it up much like a turbo and use my PWR chargecooler. It just so happens that in this position it will nicely sit right where the belt run is  s:) :) s:)  

steve b

Ok I see, lots of the mx5 kits work in a similar way to that except sit on top of the exhaust manifold then have a crossover pipe which often consists of a pwr cooler  :-) :-) :-)

steve-m-uk

I can appreciate the idea that fitting the charger on the cold side of the block will keep temps down, but as my application is low boost and will be chargecooled i think fitting the charger on the hot side will work. I like the idea of fitting above the manifold, will look at that too as a possibility.  That mx5 setup looks neat, hope mine comes out that well.

steve b

The mx5 kits don't seem to suffer being on the hot side, most are that setup as it avoid the need for a replacement inlet manifold so costs are kept down infact I think there is only one supplier that does cold side kits.  It also makes fitting an intercooler or charge cooler much easier.  Best setup I've ever seen is the GM cold side setup on the cobalt ss, chargecooler built into the actual inlet manifold from the factory.

steve-m-uk

Actually putting the charger above the manifold may be a great solution as there are some cast brackets on the block there, originally for the idler pulley or alternator , which would be ideal to bolt a mounting plate to.Will have to check and make sure there is enough room for the charger pulley to align with the crank pulley in that position.

steve-m-uk

So today i changed the plugs as it was still running on the ones that came in the corolla   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  with some shiny new NGK IFR6T11's  i know they were the original plugs that came out as they have been discontinued ages ago ( NGK IFR6A11's )   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Anyway seems to be running well from looking at the plug tips

I also began taking a look at the celica 190 manifold i bought a while back to replace the che header, the stock celica manifold with some work has been proven to give an extra 10whp , the problem in the roadster is that it fouls the subframe. If i can alter it slightly and make it fit then we could have a good,easily found manifold for 2zz swappers that will actually make power not lose it.

Here is the manifold cut from the 2zz flange in order to alter the angle at which it sits.

Looking closely at the collector you can see that there are easy gains to be had, knife edging the divider plates and flattening those welds will give good results for not much work, also porting out the other end at the 2zz flange will help too.

time to get the dremel out and start grinding   s:D :D s:D

jonty

what chop angle is required for this? I have a 2zz manifold and a tig welder sat in my garage  s:) :) s:)

steve-m-uk

Still working on it, will post when i've  worked it out

vinp182

Quote from: "steve-m-uk"Still working on it, will post when i've  worked it out

Or reproduce them   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

steve-m-uk

Indeed  s8-) 8-) s8-)

Anonymous

Just seen this thread, all i can say is :O !!!!

2many2s

Very interested to see your results with the celica manifold and also different positioning of the supercharger. I have been thinking about this for a while but passed on the last cheap ex lotus one that I saw due to the firewall room problem. What are your thoughts on the Eaton m45 as there is one going cheap here that I am looking at.

steve b

45 too small, they just blow hot air on 1.6 mx5's, they'd probably do nothing at the too end on a 2ZZGE

steve-m-uk

Yep as SteveB said, the 45 is too small, even the 62 is only just big enough, the thing with the 2zz is it can flow a huge amount of air in lift, whilst a 45 would be ok on a regular 1.8 engine the 2zz flows more like a 3litre multivalve engine at the top end, this is why i abandoned the turbocharging, i had a gt28r but whilst it's fine on a 1zz it won't flow nearly enough on a 2zz and would prevent getting into lift.

Anonymous

Or the trd supercharger, has good enough output to make the v6 into something special.

loadswine

I think Rich means the TRD charger from the Scion Tc, which is a Vortech unit driven by a shaft. That could well work. Some Hondas use a similar setup. And of course, there is the Rotrex, but they can be expensive to get hold of. The vortech unit however, might present a reasonably priced alternative.
I suppose an Eaton M90 would grab too much power to use?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Tags: