Steve-m-uk's project MK3 supercharged 2zz

Started by steve-m-uk, May 23, 2012, 01:36

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"I think Rich means the TRD charger from the Scion Tc, which is a Vortech unit driven by a shaft. That could well work. Some Hondas use a similar setup. And of course, there is the Rotrex, but they can be expensive to get hold of. The vortech unit however, might present a reasonably priced alternative.
I suppose an Eaton M90 would grab too much power to use?

Yep that's the one, the rotrex would work well if the got the larger one. But as Steve said the 2zz when in lift is so efficent at getting air in and out it requires a huge CFM otherwise its nothing more than a restricter

jonty

Quote from: "steve-m-uk"this is why i abandoned the turbocharging, i had a gt28r but whilst it's fine on a 1zz it won't flow nearly enough on a 2zz and would prevent getting into lift.

When fitted to a 200SX a GT28R will push 300bhp without any hassle - are you aiming for much more than that? GT28R definitely won't stop the 2zz from getting into lift- the 2zz has a way better head than 200sx SR20 (only 150bhp in NA format) so would probably make better power for a given level of boost. I didn't read enough detail in your threads to realise that was the reason you were switching to supercharging... but the supercharger will be way cooler, drive better, and be more reliable, so I won't try to disuade you from your new path  s:) :) s:)

steve-m-uk

It actually does, been proven on spyderchat by those who have tried it, the gt28r chokes the 2zz at high revs , smallest turbo that will work is a gt28rs. Its not about how much power it makes, 300 is ample its about the flow, and a gt28r cannot flow enough to support the 2zz.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

george_m

Hi mate
daft question but can you tell me if the 5 speed Roadster box is any good for this swop or do I need the later Roadster 6 speed. I have a Corolla 6 speed box and want to use the all the gear  from this from this as you did as well as a LSD

George

Quote from: "steve-m-uk"On further research i have found that the 6th is in fact the same on both transmissions but here are the ratios to compare

Roadster 6sp                
1  3.166                        
2  1.904                        
3  1.310
4  0.969
5  0.815
6  0.725
R  3.250
Final drive 3.914

2zz 6sp
1  3.166
2  2.050
3  1.481
4  1.166
5  0.916
6  0.725
R  3.250
Final drive 4.529

Looks like i can just swap the whole lot into the roadster casing,fit the LSD to the 4.529 final drive and it will work   s:D :D s:D

steve-m-uk

Use the corolla box , fit the roadster lsd to the corolla crown wheel and fit that into the corolla box, then get a roadster 6spd shifter mechanism and fit that to the corolla box. The 5spd will work but it's not ideal.

Star_69

Depends if you are supercharging. As Steve said the Corolla box is pretty much essential as it keeps the 2zz in 'lift'.. Shift at 8400rpm and land 6200rpm, which keeps it well in its power band. If you're supercharging it, then it's not so important its always in the powerband  s:) :) s:)
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

george_m

Thanks guys I am not thinking supercharging so I will look for roadster 6 spd shift mechanism, is that just the gearbox end or the whole lot cables and floor shifter mechanism

Alex Knight

Any updates on this?

Wabbitkilla

Never happened, he sold the car and bought an Audi S4 family car.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Alex Knight

Ahhh poopers!

markevo6

I've got Steve's old car , still running spot on although I laid it up over the winter and have just started using it again.

I too have been looking at Super Charging it and spoke to Rogue Motorsport about various options .

m http://www.boefabrication.com/index.php ... percharger m

Boe Fabrication was mentioned as being one of the market leaders for super charging the 2ZZ Engine , not cheap mind.

If I go ahead I will update .

Wabbitkilla

Aha, glad to hear from you, and doubly glad the car is still going and being looked after.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

vinp182

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Aha, glad to hear from you, and doubly glad the car is still going and being looked after.

+1 on that   s:) :) s:)  

Was a big shame to see it vanish completely but glad its still about
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

cabbydave

What did they quote you?

steve-m-uk

Glad to hear the car is still going great  s:) :) s:)

jonone

have you looked at Se7en motorsports they supercharge quite a few 2ZZ celicas I seem to remember him doing a mr2 and opening a topic on here not that long ago
30,000 miles 56 Reg 1E7 crystal silver TF 300 / 089     Yokohamas AD 08 Tyres Re-furbed Alloys in Satin Black, debadged rear Hard Top ON "turbocharged by Matt Performance "

jonone

just looked it up its on page 7 its a 2zz turbo install
30,000 miles 56 Reg 1E7 crystal silver TF 300 / 089     Yokohamas AD 08 Tyres Re-furbed Alloys in Satin Black, debadged rear Hard Top ON "turbocharged by Matt Performance "

Tags: