Steve-m-uk's project MK3 supercharged 2zz

Started by steve-m-uk, May 23, 2012, 01:36

steve-m-uk

Well today I have carried on with the wiring , it looks complicated but really isn't , made a lot easier by doing the alterations to the boomslang harness,with the added bonus of already having my e-manage plumbed in. The idea is to put a zero map on the unit so when I fire up the engine as an na the e-manage will not interfere with the stock ecu ,but when I go turbo I can map it to suit.

I know some will say the e-manage is not as good as a power fc but it retains obdII and will protect the engine from knock which has to be a good thing.
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

triz

That header is going to choke the HP out of the 2zz. We had someone with a similar header and they lost 15 hp from it. I started looking at Dyno graps and mods and almost everyone with that type header had significantly lower HP numbers. Its not a very good design, you need something a bit more freeflowing instead of that bottleneck at the bottom.

That is a great looking engine inside.

steve-m-uk

Quote from: "triz"That header is going to choke the HP out of the 2zz. We had someone with a similar header and they lost 15 hp from it. I started looking at Dyno graps and mods and almost everyone with that type header had significantly lower HP numbers. Its not a very good design, you need something a bit more freeflowing instead of that bottleneck at the bottom.

That is a great looking engine inside.

I agree triz , but it's only a temporary measure just to get it up and running , it will be turbo fairly soon after so there wasn't much point in spending a lot on an na header. It looks like the bottleneck is at the bottom where the pipes meet, I think an exhaust fabricator could easily cut the bottleneck off and weld in some larger pipes though,may look at doing this.

steve-m-uk

Some of the service bits have arrived in readiness for next weeks swap, genuine Toyota oil filter and 5L of Fuchs titan race pro s 5w-30 from Opie   s:D :D s:D  

And as i couldn't face watching the dross on TV this evening i popped outside and removed my instrument cluster to do a little mini mod

TTE logo'd tacho   s8) 8) s8)  using a replica of the TTE badge found on bodykit parts manufactured by TTE   s:) :) s:)

Going to Toyota tomorrow morning to pick up new flywheel bolts 8 for £63   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  still,much better than the flywheel coming off at 8300rpm   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

steve-m-uk

Well tomorrow is the day, work begins removing the 1zz from my roadster   s:) :) s:)   however today was spent fitting the flywheel and painting the valve cover in preparation for tomorrow. Here are some pictures from today

Couldn't resist highlighting this

The white dots on the flywheel bolts are tip-ex marks i made so when the bolts are torqued up to 36 lb/ft i can then see how much to turn them for the final 90 degree angle tighten up   s8) 8) s8)  

Just the loom to add now when i remove it from the 1zz tomorrow   s:) :) s:)

steve b

All looking good, back on the track this friday with my 2ZZGE  :-) :-) :-)

Regards my don't turbo comments track cars suffer so much more than road cars so on road a turbo maybe fine but I'd not go there for track.  My car spent a lot of time on the dyno with different manifolds, exhausts etc to get the best from it.  It really is very good.  You may question the need for a turbo when you drive yours as an na for a bit.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

steve-m-uk

Quote from: "steve b"All looking good, back on the track this friday with my 2ZZGE  :-) :-) :-)

Regards my don't turbo comments track cars suffer so much more than road cars so on road a turbo maybe fine but I'd not go there for track.  My car spent a lot of time on the dyno with different manifolds, exhausts etc to get the best from it.  It really is very good.  You may question the need for a turbo when you drive yours as an na for a bit.

Mine will likely not see a track but will keep an eye on the temps anyway   s:D :D s:D  

Well what a busy two days over at the Spitstop, after a late start on Monday (i slept in doh   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) work began on taking my car apart to remove the 1zz , to our surprise we didn't encounter too much drama and bolts we expected to be seized solid were not   s:) :) s:)  

Here we are mid strip

After disconnecting all the pipes and pulling the wiring loom to the ecu through into the engine bay we lowered the engine and box onto the floor and pulled it out from underneath the car

And then removed the gearbox to reveal the ACT clutch   s8) 8) s8)  

Whilst the engine was missing i took the chance to clean the engine bay as it was filthy

We then set about removing the wiring loom from the 1zz and fitting it to the 2zz, all the plugs fit perfectly apart from three wires which needed to be added to the loom for the lift OCV and lift oil pressure sensor. Ste removed these from the 2zz loom and we added them to the 1zz one,Ste had a clever idea of using some old O2 sensor outer sleeving to run the wires down the outside of the 1zz loom,looks very stock   s8) 8) s8)  We then fitted the clutch and gearbox which was tough but got there in the end   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

So with the 2zz motor ready to fit we slid it under the roadster ready to bolt the mounts in place

This went fairly straight forward as we lowered the body down to meet the engine so as not to need an engine hoist.
We then set about plumbing the 2zz in and connecting all the plugs etc, and fitting the 2zz manifold. At this point we took the roadster cat to a local exhaust fabricator to have an O2 bung welded in just where the pipes go into one,the 2zz only has two O2 sensors, a main one and an after cat one.

After collecting the modified cat pipe we fitted the rear end panels back onto the car and the rest of the exhaust system,the gaskets supplied with the manifold were rubbish but all i had so i will replace them shortly.

Here is the new position for the O2 sensor

At this point we changed the oil filter and fitted my greddy sandwich plate then filled the engine with oil and coolant and removed the EFI fuse to prevent the injectors from working whilst we cranked the car over to get oil pressure. A few cranks and the oil light went out showing all was good.
The fuse was replaced and with a single crank the engine coughed and spluttered whilst the fuel rail got pressurized and then settled to a steady fast idle   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:   after a few minutes running the idle started to fall to a more normal level and we had a check around for leaks etc, completely dry underneath but a whiff of fuel above. On checking the fuel rail we discovered a tiny leak on injector 3 ,so after letting the engine cool we pulled the rail and replaced the top sealing ring on injector 3 then refitted it all, success no more leaks   s8) 8) s8)  
  At this point (Tuesday evening) we took the car for a little local run to test it, all seemed fine with no nasty smells or noises. Shortly afterwards i set off home from Ste's place, a 60mile journey mostly motorway ,the car was faultless giving smooth power and feeling very similar to before except more powerful. The trip home was spent with the window down and radio off listening and keeping an eye on gauges and warning lights but there were no issues at all, even obdII was happy with no codes being shown   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  
 So there you have it, two days to drive in 1zz and drive out 2zz   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  using hand tools (and one impact gun).
I can't thank Ste enough for firstly allowing this to take place at Spitstop and secondly for all his help and advice during the conversion without which i likely wouldn't have taken the job on   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  and also a huge thanks to the other guys who have helped along the way including but not limited to Nic wabbitkilla ,PeteT,John T, the guys at Charlesworth and the corolla club guys who came over to Spitstop at various times during the conversion, thankyou so much   s:D :D s:D  
 Now anyone want to buy some used corolla parts ?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Well done fella, looks a smooth and semi painless process! Top MR'ing work!

Anonymous

Superb Steve. You could write a cracking "How To" from your experience.
List of reqd bits, rough costs etc.

Anonymous

Quote from: "dick2ski"Superb Steve. You could write a cracking "How To" from your experience.
List of reqd bits, rough costs etc.

that would be a good idea as the roadster becomes more afforable and with early 1zz's going pop there might be more of a call on going 2zz.

so how long till the turbo gets put on, waiting to see how it goes then.

Wabbitkilla

Like I said on the "dark site", well done Steve ... hugely rewarding to see it go so smoothly.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

steve-m-uk

I am going to drive the car n/a for a while and get a feel for it,very odd having all that rev range to use   s:) :) s:)   turbo will happen though   s8) 8) s8)  
As for the how to guide that's not a bad idea and something we could do at a basic level i.e listing parts required and what wiring changes to make then going onto what goes where etc ,will have a word with Ste and see what we can do   s8) 8) s8)  

Been out today ,not far but enough to show any issues, no leaks to be seen and running lovely. I did get a code but think it was my fault for not fitting the EVAP pipework , i unplugged the solonoid for the charcoal canister and so far it hasn't returned, the code was P0450.  
The gasket on the flange where the 3 amigos reside has started blowing as expected, so i am currently waiting for the manifold to cool so i can fit a genuine toyota gasket and cure it.

Anonymous

If you need better pics for your guide I can supply a car ready to mod!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
And youll need two gaskets!  s:) :) s:)

steve-m-uk

Quote from: "dick2ski"If you need better pics for your guide I can supply a car ready to mod!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
And youll need two gaskets!  s:) :) s:)

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  i bet you can , i have a pair of the crush gaskets at the ready   s:D :D s:D

loadswine

Well done to you and Ste, that looks a super job. Be interested to see how you find the gearbox with the 2zz.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

steve-m-uk

Thanks   s:D :D s:D  it does seem to take a long time to get into lift , but that will be a product of the longer gears on the roadster box,i knew this before starting though so no problem as that's where the turbo will come in,it will fill in the bottom end and once the boost comes in it will quickly reach lift   s:D :D s:D   seems to rev for ever though ,feel like a right hooligan trying to get into lift   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  can see blokes at the side of the road thinking FFS will you change gear ,and i'm only just reaching lift   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

What cars are suitable to provide the 2ZZ please Steve?

steve-m-uk

Best donor is a celica t-sport (also known as a celica 190) 1999-2002 as with this you can use the ecu (providing you have the key) and the throttle body still uses a cable operated butterfly.

Second comes the Corolla t-sport , again upto 2002 ,you can't use the ecu as it won't drive the roadster clocks so budget for an ecu.

Third is either corolla or celica 2003 onward, with these you need to swap the inlet manifold for an earlier cable operated one as they went drive by wire and also fit the roadster single wire knock sensor as the later 2zz's went to a two wire sensor.

Fourth is the Lotus elise or exige , not too sure on this but i do know the throttle body is different and ecu is likely different too.

In all cases you will need to mod the gearbox if you want to use the 2zz box and add LSD,or you can use the roadster box plug n play, your clutch and cover will fit the 2zz flywheel.

Anonymous

Is the Celica 190 the one with the letterbox in the front bumper?

steve-m-uk

Yes but not sure if the 1zz version has that too , best way to check is under the bonnet.

Jubal

Wow. I blinked and missed it! Nice job  s:D :D s:D   I saw the engine on the floor of Ste's garage a few days ago and had visions of you guys having sleepless nights with soldering irons trying to bring a Frankenstein to life. Looks like a much simpler job. Great result.

steve-m-uk

Thanks  s:) :) s:)  it was made much easier by having a boomslang harness ( goes in-between the ecu and the loom) so I could do 99% of the wiring up at home on the desk and then just plug it in either end when the engine was in. Ste soldered the remaining 3 wires inside the storage bin next to the ecu and that was all that was required on the wiring front.

steve-m-uk

Today i tidied up some of the cables and coolant pipes and routed them securely , whilst i was in there i removed the make do and mend air intake we cobbled together to get the car going and took measurements to order some silicone hoses to make an induction kit.
I will re-use the maf tube from the corolla airbox which i cut out leaving just the tube and the vane at it's entry and on the end will fit this

The Apexi filter, not the cat,she just turned up one day and never left   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I have also fixed the blowing exhaust flange with two Toyota gaskets, the one that came in the kit was useless and didn't seal at all as can be seen by this picture

Note that i had to trim the outer holes just so it would fit at all   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

And here is a pic i took last night, myself PeteT and my mate John went out for a carvery   s:D :D s:D  and when we came out we had been joined by this little thing, i thought the roadster was small   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

dcod

Looking great.

Just found this on YT (2zz turbo)    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

[youtube:lmfusf9z]qXg_Zgt3V4g[/youtube:lmfusf9z]
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

triz

Steve would you mind posting a pic of the transmission wiring. What Im looking for is the black ground and where to connect it to. Transmission to ???? and the other thick black cable. I believe its part of the positive battery terminal but it has to connectors and I cant figure out how both connect. I lost my picture and my label somehow when I swapped it. Much appreciated. BTW engine looks great!

Tags: