Steve-m-uk's project MK3 supercharged 2zz

Started by steve-m-uk, May 23, 2012, 01:36

chris3boro

Great work Steve!  s:D :D s:D

steve-m-uk

Thanks guys, Triz i will go outside and take a couple of photo's for you.  s:) :) s:)
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

steve-m-uk

Triz i hope these are what you need, if not ask and i'll get more

inner strut tower earth connection .goes on from here to negative terminal on battery

same cable coming up inner strut tower, and also positive cables

The positive has two heavy cables and they clip together as can be seen in this photo

steve-m-uk

Yesterday over at the Spitstop we swapped Nic's rear beam and did some other tinkering , i also fitted some A2 grade stainless hex bolts i found from a seller on ebay, just went round replacing any m6 bolts that were visible,it's a small but effective mod , just waiting for the Lotus coil pack cover to turn up now   s:D :D s:D   Just been out to take the photo's above and whilst there i checked the oil and water,not used a drop of either and i have been using lift as often as possible   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Mike_V

Nice  :-) :-) :-)
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

steve-m-uk

Today as it was warm out i decided to do a bit of tinkering after work so went outside and fitted the Lotus exige injector cover that i ordered a few days ago, it needed a tiny bit of cutting down on one side as it fouled the fuel rail pipe on the roadster but tidies up the look of the engine a treat, it is of course bolted in place with stainless bolts   s8) 8) s8)  

I also keep feeding this little beauty oil and spinning it every few days just to keep it healthy   s:D :D s:D  

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

chris3boro

Mmmm, I bet lift is epic!...nevermind knowing a turbo is yet to come! Lucky thing! Keep at it Steve!  s:D :D s:D

steve-m-uk

It's entertaining Chris ,worked out by the revs it can pull nearly 85mph in second gear without hitting the limiter   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

puma2

s:D :D s:D  well done on at all the work and all the top men on this 2zz mr2.  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  
its all bean worth it, for you  to drive, the others to work on and for us to see and admire all the money/work/love that gone into this whole project  s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)

triz

Hey Steve these are the cables in question. I think I may have an extra cable and thats what messing me up. The ground on the top left. Where on the body does that go? That other wire I cant remember for the life of me. I think thats the extra wire. The end of that wire seems like it was from the other harness but Im not sure.

steve-m-uk

Hi Triz, don't think i have that one on mine   s:? :? s:?  like you say it looks to come from the 2zz loom , if you have all the 1zz earths in place i'd say your safe to remove it.

steve-m-uk

Been in the shed again tonight having a look at the turbo, first i fit a 90degree adapter to the oil line as i had to clock the turbo to get the drain to be perfectly vertical when on the car and in it's new position the oil line would foul the housing without a 90degree fitting.

I then checked the blades on the inducer,these should be good as i had a new CHRA (all moving parts in centre cartridge) fitted by a garrett dealer not long ago and the turbo can't have done 2000miles since.

Looks ok

Next i moved onto the manifold itself, you can see where the port matching was out by the soot marks on the 1zz,don't get me wrong it worked very well indeed but as the exhaust ports on a 2zz are oval i may aswell port match the manifold to suit.

This is where i need a bit of advice, what kind of stone do i need to remove material from a cast iron manifold?
 i have a dremel type tool but will buy some genuine dremel bits to do the job.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "steve b"Rogue Motorsport when i collected my 2ZZ from them, knowing I have a GT2860RS MX5 said whatever I do don't turbo it as if used on track or hard in general it'll last all of 5 minutes.

These are not strong engines.

Stock cooling system doesn't cope with just the 2ZZ, quarter of an hour of track work gets me up to 108oC, they said all the V6 or 2ZZ track only / race cars they build have the front reworked to have a high volume rad and vented ducted bonnet a la Elise.

Would a remote high flow water pump be a good idea too?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

steve-m-uk

I'm not sure, i haven't noticed any overheating at all, in fact my oil temps are lower on the 2zz than on the 1zz, the coolant reaches the normal temp and just stays there no matter what i do. If i do see any rise in temp i'll look into a higher flow radiator but for the moment it is behaving very well.

triz

Steve thanks for the pic. It did help me with one of the wires. Seems I didnt remove it when I did the transmsiion swap and that where my negative battery cable went. Still trying to see where that short black wire went.

Your build is coming along great!

steve-m-uk

Well it's been a while, and i can report the 2zz is running perfectly still and has proven itself to be a good reliable engine,so it's time to start stage two and turbocharge it. As mentioned earlier in the thread i will be using the che cast turbo manifold from my 1zz, on the 1zz much like the Hass kit the turbo sits very low and the oil drain isn't great,also the intake sits very near the gearbox so over the last few days myself Nic and a few others have been thinking of ways to overcome this. Today whilst porting out the manifold to suit the 2zz's oval exhaust ports i had a bonkers idea, looking at the ports they are symmetrical so i offered the manifold to the engine upside down and an idea popped into my head, if i re drill the mounting holes i can fit the manifold upside down and use it as a top mount setup   s8) 8) s8)   a few bits of tinkering later and here are the results, clearance appears good too on the car,here it is fitted to my old 1zz for test purposes.

Doing it this way has a few benefits, the drain can be vertical and has sufficient drop to allow gravity to do it's work, the intake is high up and clear of any obstruction making the boost circuit very simple and it looks great too   s8) 8) s8)

AmeR

Top mount looks like an interesting route and sounds like it has a good few plus points too!!

Have you given any thought on bracing for the turbo in that position??

steve-m-uk

Yes once i fit it to the 2zz i will brace it to the block and fix it in its final position, still in the design stage at the moment.

loadswine

If the 2zz has the exhaust brace points on the block, it should make for a nice neat brace solution, with say, and adjustable turnbuckle as the strut or something like that. Looks good. How willl the efficiency of the turbo be at the higher revs of the 2zz Steve?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

steve-m-uk

I'm sure i can find a suitable bolt hole, in fact there is a stud sticking out of the block in pretty much an ideal place on the 2zz block,think it was for supporting the stock corolla manifold. I'm not sure how the turbo matches up with the 2zz to be honest,but as it's the only turbo i have guess i will find out   s:D :D s:D  it's a gt28r so it should be reasonable and i don't want any more than 6-7psi anyway.

loadswine

I'm sure 7 psi will be, er 'sufficient!' lol Actually, flipping immense!!  s8) 8) s8)  
Good luck with it mate, hope it all installs well.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

dj2k21

Boost gets you laid mate  s;) ;) s;)

Or so the sticker on my tuners car says lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Wabbitkilla

One question .... does this fit in the space between the engine and the panel running across the engine bay where the lid cover catch is?

It does make the intake a lot more friendly like this though   s:D :D s:D
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

steve-m-uk

According to the cardboard template i made it should fit in, it's close but enough to allow some movement of the engine assembly,only way i'll know for sure is when i offer it to the 2zz and see if it will go into the space available. The latch beam isn't an issue as it sits below that, if anything it will be the triangulation bars that go from the chassis rail to the latch beam,if that's the case i'll notch them out where required.

Anonymous

My PE turbo mounts the turbo that way. Be interested on what it produces on boost as im looking at having my max pressure at 6psi so I can try and stay below the 280bhp gearbox eating level.

Tags: