Steve-m-uk's project MK3 supercharged 2zz

Started by steve-m-uk, May 23, 2012, 01:36

steve-m-uk

I'm going to use the Greddy E-01 boost controller that came with the Hass kit so i can reference the boost pressure against RPM, that way i can limit boost until say 4000rpm then bring it upto full boost gradually and reduce the strain on the gearbox, that is the plan at the moment anyhow.
Now a member of the ding day "hide by the bins" club  s]

Anonymous

That's what im looking at doing with the emerald ecu as it can control its own boost controller.

markiii

Quote from: "rbuckingham"My PE turbo mounts the turbo that way. Be interested on what it produces on boost as I'm looking at having my max pressure at 6psi so I can try and stay below the 280bhp gearbox eating level.

you will be safe a PE at 6 psi won't even get close to 280bhp

PS its torque that kills the gearbox, not the power
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

dj2k21

Everytime I drop my gearbox fluid there is mote and more copper in there lol oops

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

markiii

copper?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

dj2k21

Yeah from my synchros wearing away into nothing lol they leave a coppery colour residue floating in the oil

[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "rbuckingham"My PE turbo mounts the turbo that way. Be interested on what it produces on boost as I'm looking at having my max pressure at 6psi so I can try and stay below the 280bhp gearbox eating level.

you will be safe a PE at 6 psi won't even get close to 280bhp

PS its torque that kills the gearbox, not the power

I know its the torque that does it mate, but if I remember the conversations with Chris its around that power the torque getting a bit to much. Thinking out loud what would be the gearbox eating torque figure???

Oh and the turbo not a PE turbo anymore its a turbo from a Nissan skyline gtr the new r35 so should have the guts.

s12vea

Interesting project, I'm too impatient I would want to get everything finished so I could experience the power of a 2zz turbo quickly. Keep up the good work! Plus keep the pictures coming!  s:) :) s:)
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

steve-m-uk

Well as it's Christmas and there is nothing worthwhile on tv i thought i'd update this thread a little. Firstly i discovered the turbo i have isn't big enough for the 2zz ,the gt28r or gt2560 to give it it's correct title will not flow enough once the vvtl-i engages the high cam, it's perfect for a 1zz but would stop me using lift on the 2zz which kind of defeats the object. So the options were sell the gt28r and buy a larger turbo or try something different.
Here is the something different

I picked up an m62 supercharger from an early mercedes slk230 for a very good price, so i think this is the direction i will now take.

My rationale behind this is the exige s uses am mp62 supercharger to produce around 270hp , this would be ideal for me and being a supercharger the power would be instant and the torque curve very flat   s:D :D s:D   The exige charger is slightly more efficient than mine but mine will be chargecooled which should level the playing field. The other advantage of the mercedes charger is it has an electro magnetic pulley which freewheels until you apply 12v to it's connector, this coupled with a vacuum switch would mean my engine can run without any drag from the charger until the throttle is buried ,so on cruise and overrun the charger is disconnected but as soon as the throttle is pressed the sensor will detect the drop in vacuum and activate the charger   s8) 8) s8)  

And now the science bit   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Eaton m62: Displacement: 1.035 liters = 1035cc
Max. Outlet Pressure: 2.0 Bar
Max Speed Cont (inst.): 14,000 (16,000)
Flow at Max. Speed @ 1.8 Bar: 810 cubic meters / hour.

2zz-ge engine:

Engine max rpm: 8300 crank pulley dia.: 130mm
Eaton Supercharger pulley dia.: 95mm

Ratio: 130/95=1.36

From the Eaton specs I have mentioned above the M62 flows 1035cc per crank turn. Therefore we have,

1035cc x 1.36= 1407cc per crank turn
1407 - 900 (1/2 engine cc) = Extra flow of 507cc per crank turn
507/900 = 0.56 bar (8.1psi)

At max engine rpm the max speed of supercharger is: 1.36 x 8300 = 11,288rpm

I have used various boost calculators on the net and all come up with a pressure of 7-8psi which should make some good power i hope ,then again i could be completely wrong as i've never played with a supercharger before   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

All sounds right mate but I might hold off the 8 psi. Also anything over 6 psi its recommended to have a recirc valve in the system. How's the fit going to be?

steve b

Much more sensible idea for the 2ZZGE I think, its what i'd do if I ever boost mine.  I think you may need to cut the bulkhead to make room for it, what would be ideal is getting a laminova cored manifold so you are charge cooled supercharged.  Better solution than a rear mount intercooler, just run hose pipes and stick another small rad up front.  Its the VX220 supercharger route.

P.S I did about 5 more track days over the summer with the 2ZZGE, I ended up fitting a high volume alloy rad and that cured it getting hot on track.  Also had it partial throttle remapped by Ryan at 2 bar tuning as wasn't happy with it on very light throttle inputs.

Heres how mine looks now :-

2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

steve-m-uk

The m62 is fairly small and i will either fit it below the alternator on the back of the engine (plenty of room)or i can fit it on the exhaust side of the engine, and will have clearance as i will be having a better manifold made because the che one is rubbish. My setup will be chargecooled as i have a PWR chargecooler and the pump and rad mounted up front still from my turbo setup and unlike the exige where the charger is part of the manifold mine can be cooled easily just as a turbo setup. The early m62 like this one doesn't have an internal recirc valve but that's no problem at all as i can fit one into the boost circuit very easily,however on the merc charger it's not necessary as once vacuum is detected the magnetic clutch disengages the charger so it free wheels and doesn't produce boost. The 8psi is a best outcome situation, taking into account pressure drop and wear etc i may see anything from 6psi to 8psi and it will make what it makes but either way it should be fun.

Anonymous

I see your point but when the butterfly closes you want to remove the pressure in the intake track just like a turbo. But as you say its an easy thing to install to the boost system.

steve-m-uk

To be honest i'm looking at just installing a dump valve, this should just vent any excess pressure out however i may use one of those plastic bosch ones so it's silent.

Anonymous

Well if its of any help mate I got a recirc dump valve from what I was going to use on my supercharger. Now due to turbo and the fact it runs an atmospheric dump valve I a don't need the recirc anymore.

steve-m-uk

Thanks, i'll give you a shout when i get going with it all   s8) 8) s8)

steve b

Spent a bit of time looking at all the after market lotus kits, the one monkey wrench sell you could see if they'd only sell the manifold then plumb your PWR in place of the intercooler that'd be a nice solution.  The katana 2 manifold also looked good.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

steve-m-uk

Well this weekend myself and a friend made an epic ( considering the snow ) roadtrip down to Cardiff where i purchased a second hand ,but never actually been on a car, power fc. I was very lucky to get this for the same price i sold my 1zz version for, and even luckier that Rich ,the guy i bought it from saved it for me until mine was sold  s:grin: :grin: s:grin:  
 I was over the moon when i plugged it in and  discovered it is one of the new EL display versions too, i think it looks the business  s8-) 8-) s8-)

nathanMR2

Nice   s8) 8) s8)
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

PaullyP2010

Love it Steve, great result!  s:D :D s:D  
Did you have to extend the commander wiring?

Cheers,
Paul
2003 Sable Grey
Built 2ZZ Turbo with lots of other goodies.........

steve-m-uk

No oddly enough, i think because the new style commander is universal they supply it with a longer cord.

steve-m-uk

Today i didn't have much planned so i decided to go begin stripping the corolla 2zz gearbox ready for making a hybrid of that and my 1zz roadster box.
The plan is to take the internals of the 2zz box and fit them into the 1zz casing,whilst doing this i will swap the 1zz LSD into the 2zz final drive , another mod i plan to do is to fit the roadster 6th ratio. So the effect should be fast acceleration from 1 to 5 and then a high 6 for motorway cruising.

Here is the 2zz box with the end casing off showing 5th and 6th gears and the selector fork.

Here are all the parts from the 2zz 5th and 6th gear assemblies namely the  gears , synchro hubs,spacers,clips and bearings.

Here is the 2zz box with it's mid case removed and the differential lifted out(you can gently lift the two gearsets as one and remove the diff if you're careful),i shouldn't need to strip any more as the bellhousing is the same,i will bolt the 1zz mid case to the 2zz bellhousing on re-assembly.

And here is the final drive crown wheel from the 2zz differential(1zz and 2zz are different size), ready to have the roadster LSD bolted into it

Next step is to remove the 1zz box and perform the same steps to that, then create the hybrid box   s:D :D s:D

steve-m-uk

On further research i have found that the 6th is in fact the same on both transmissions but here are the ratios to compare

Roadster 6sp                
1  3.166                        
2  1.904                        
3  1.310
4  0.969
5  0.815
6  0.725
R  3.250
Final drive 3.914

2zz 6sp
1  3.166
2  2.050
3  1.481
4  1.166
5  0.916
6  0.725
R  3.250
Final drive 4.529

Looks like i can just swap the whole lot into the roadster casing,fit the LSD to the 4.529 final drive and it will work   s:D :D s:D

steve-m-uk

Yesterday this arrived in the post

it's the che lotus style exhaust, i got up early this morning and went out to fit it   s:D :D s:D  
It's not a perfect fit and requires a little 'persuasion' at the cat joint,the cat heat shiel removing and also the supplies bolts are too short so you need to get your own.These points aside it's not a bad job and is very light   s:D :D s:D  

Here it is mid fitting

and here is the fitted system, sounds quieter than i expected but i suspect it will burn in over time and i'm also removing the 1zz cat section soon for a better solution   s8) 8) s8)  

Once it's burned in i will make a sound clip and post it up   s:D :D s:D

Wabbitkilla

Nice Steve, good to see it fitting the bumper properly.

From a planet somewhere nearby
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: