Started by flipper, May 30, 2012, 15:03

flipper

Afternoon Guys

I have the ABS warning light on.

Brake fluid OK
Tyre pressures OK
Brakes feel OK
Speedo still works so dont think a sensor has come unplugged

Any other simple things I can check before taking it to a garage?

Any help much appreciated

Phil

normanh

Get the code read, where are you based flipper as theres bound to be someone near with a reader - will save a fortune as most garages charge around £50 just to read code which takes mins.

norman

flipper

hi Norman,

I'm in Iver, Bucks, Near Slough, Uxbridge, Heathrow

Anyone local?

Phil

Treboeth

As Norman said do not got to a
MrT your throwing money away UKtotty(Russ) is close send him a pm he`s quite helpful.

But be aware he`ll probably sting you for a cup of coffee  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

flipper

Hi Again

Thanks for you help last week

Have just had the code read by the nice people at Power Engineering in Uxbridge (no charge!). It says 'C0278 open or short circuit in ABS solenoid relay circuit'. Unfortunately Power Engineering don't have the diagnostic equipment to narrow it down beyond this. Does anyone out there have any ideas before I take it to Mr T?

Thanks

Phil

Treboeth

Full list of codes
 l viewtopic.php?t=12480 l

yours is
P0278 Cylinder 6 Contribution/Balance Fault

flipper

Thanks Treboeth

P0278 appears to be a fuel and air fault, however its definately the ABS light that's on. Power Engineering definately said it was a C code. Is there a different prefix letter for braking issue codes?

Treboeth

sorry posting on my phone misread the code, I still think you are better contacting a local member for a code reader and advice.

Anonymous

A search on the internet seems to point to the Brake actuator (skid control ECU) or the ABS solenoid relay circuit,most posts point to needing a new ABS ECU.

flipper

Thanks Bryan,

Quick ebay search suggests that a secondhand ABS ECU will be half the cost of Mr T just doing a diagnostic.

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-RO ... 3a74d2982d m

Is this the part? Is it a simple install? Am happy to risk the cost if there's a fair chance it will work.

flipper

I've now located the ABS ECU under the drivers side dash and matched the part number with this one on ebay:

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-RO ... 415f992e60 m

For £35 and what looks like an easy swap (I have no experience of car repairs) i'm thinking of trying this before taking it to Mr T (who have quoted £801-60 for a new ABS pump and ABS ECU - they say they dont supply the ECU on its own).

Does this seem like a sensible route to you guys or am I missing something fundamental?

Anonymous

Sounds like a plan,you can always re-sell it if this isnt the problem,I would do it this way too.

flipper

Thanks Bryan

Have ordered the part. Will report back.

Regards

Phil

flipper

I've now tried an alternative abs ecu but the light is still on. The only other thing I can think of before giving up and getting a professional to look at it is replacing the abs solenoid relay however I cant find it. In the workshop manual the diagram suggests its in box B in the frunk 2nd top right but thats a front fog relay in my box.

Any ideas?

Anonymous

See if this helps you find it.  [MOD] Sorry this link isn't allowed due to Toyota copyright[/MOD]

flipper

Thanks Bryan

That's a seriously useful web page!

I have the part number now but it 's still suggesting it's in box B - Could the box be stacked into 2 levels?

flipper

I though I would give an update on this as (fingeres crossed) it's finally solved and might help someone else on here in the future.

So I left the ABS light on for a few months as it was driving OK. I finally got round to doing something about it when the battery went flat and the AA told me that the battery was OK but something was drawing a lot of current. I booked it into Mr T for a £54-00 diagnostic.

I leave it at Mr T and they phone a little while later asking if I've replaced the ABS ECU. I explain to them that I did try another ABS ECU (see thread above) but it didn't work so the original one was refitted. I would like to think that the ECU swap was detected with sophisticated diagnostic equipment until I realised i'd left the spare one in the glove box. They mumble something about not being able to clear codes and say they will call back. They call back a little later and say that the technician thinks it needs a new ABS solenoid relay - £70 for the part plus £34 for fitting. I say words along the lines of is he sure this is the problem and begrudgingly agree to the work. A moment later they call back again saying that 2 relays need to be replaced. This rings alarm bells and I ask whether the technician has tested the relays and quote the relay testing procedure in the workshop manual for a C0278 code. He goes off again and comes back saying the technician is checking the relays now!

A while later there is another phone call and they say they have another MR2 in and they are going to swap the relays to see if this is the problem before ordering parts. This actually seems to be a sensible idea and I remember seeing the donor car in question outside that morning - a black pre face lift with very rusty disks.

Another call a little while later and I'm told that the relay swap hasn't worked and the technician is out of ideas! The service mananger says he has talked to his boss and they will waive the diagnostic charge and advise that I take it to another Mr T! I go and collect the car with the only positive that they waived the fee before I refused to pay it.

On recommendation I take the car to a local independnent auto electrician who seems generally interested in the story, writing lots of notes. I leave the car with him. He calls the next day and says that the ABS ECU I replaced is actually a body controls ECU! It's in the same place as shown in the workshop manual but it would appear that post facelift cars have the ECU and relays combined with the pump (see earlier quote from Mr T). This also explains why the 2003 ToyoDIY brake section says the ECU and relays are 'not applicable'. This is also why I couldn't find the relays - see earlier post. It makes you wonder what relays Mr T swapped with the pre face lift car!

The ABS pump gets sent away to Autotek who diagnose that "the valve circuits have overloaded the control module and now the solenoid relay circuit is faulty and replacement control module is required".

So the light now goes off and all is well although the auto electrician could not replicate the current draw on the battery the AA identified (even before the pump was removed) and suggested that the battery is faulty - this was supplied by the AA and is under warranty so might need to cross that bridge soon.

Costs

Original code read from Power Engineering - free - because they are nice people and I'm a regular customer
Diagnostic from Mr T - free - because they didn't do one
Replacement control module £219.75 including VAT and return carriage
Auto Electrician diagnostic, labour, outgoing carriage and brake fluid £220

Now I don't know whether thats a good price or not but I'm glad the car appears to be sorted. I think having a workshop manual from 2000 has not helped - does anyone know if a facelift manual is available? It would be useful to know what else changed other than the cosmetics, gearbox and engine

Hope this story is useful

StuC

Sounds like you have been through the mill and round the houses!

Lets hope it stays sorted, thanks for finishing the thread.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Tags: