Engine Rebuild Failure.

Started by ginger1, June 8, 2012, 14:20

ginger1

I had my Engine Replaced with an '04 1zz 31/10/2011.
07/06/2012 Engine died.
The Warranty was for 6months or 6000miles.
(so out of warranty)

Is there anything I can do?
I rang up and was basically fobbed off, manager on leave we'll get him to call you monday.
As it's out of warranty they are not interested, but surely there must be something I can do...
I did the 500 and 5000 mile inspection and I had only just picked my car up yesterday morning from having the bolts checked and inspection for leaks.
I have been checking the oil frequently as I got in the habbit from the previous oil burner.
The Oil had not gone down, was on 1/3rd when I went to my parents (70miles) and was on 1/3rd when I left but 55miles later...
I heard a loud ticking while doing 70mph on the A34, I'd just passed a lay by and there wasn't another for 2 miles.
About a mile later, ticking still loud... the oil light came on, instantly I thought crap.
100metres after that, stalled while going up a hill... I managed to steer safely on to the grass verge.
Waited 2 hours before our tow came, in the pitch black, while being told we couldn't have broken down in a more dangerous place.

I checked the oil this morning, still on a third... so oil pressure?
I'm presuming the stall meant ceasure, writing the engine off.
I haven't tried to start her again, and awaiting a call from QED monday (not holding my hopes up though)

Anybody have any knowledge on this?
My engine swap cost me about 2k...(engine/parts/labour) an expense job for 8months use!

Thanks in advance
Colin
Broken \":-(\"

mrzwei

How many miles have you done?
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

ginger1

6207miles

mrzwei

The oil light will only come on at a very low oil pressure.
Difficult to be sure but it sounds like a seizure after big end failure.
Try getting a spanner on the crank pulley at the front of the engine to see if it will turn over. (Done this loads of times but never had to on a 2 so don't know how easy it is to get a spanner in there).

Obviously, speak nicely to the supplying garage, you never know how they will react.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

Anonymous

if it stop really quickly when it stalled ie black lines left on the road, then fear the worst if not it might not be stuck. however if the oil light came on and there was still oil in the engine then it will most likely to be a blocked strainer or knackard oil pump. in all cases im going to guess that the ticking was the big ends knocking due to oil starvation and will be shot.

ginger1

Spoke to a few of my friends and they suggested as it has Oil in it may it not be ceased, but unfortunately it is ceased.

No skid marks on road because as I felt it stall I dipped the clutch to try and save it, but wasn't quick enough.

Guess I shall be selling it as Spares/Repairs  s:-( :-( s:-(

Wabbitkilla

1. Why did you replace the engine?
2. Were the precats intact or removed?
3. If the precats had broken down was the main cat replaced?

TBH, I'm sorry to say it sounds terminal, the supplier has supplied the engine with a warranty and the engine did last for the life of the warranty ... there's no come back, you signed a contract and they delivered according to the contract.

If the answer to 3. above is no then this may have resulted in excessive back pressure in the exhaust which will affect the engine, one possible result from this is big end failure. Oil starvation could also be the cause and the lack of oil light really didn't help you   s:( :( s:(
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

mrzwei

Quote from: "ginger1"Spoke to a few of my friends and they suggested as it has Oil in it may it not be ceased, but unfortunately it is ceased.

Yeah, you won't lose any oil with big end failure but you will lose pressure so the bearings can still seize.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

ginger1

I had an Oil Burner (would still be running now just burning oil so 2k wasted)
Precats removed so new engine never had them (though they still look in good condition)

To be honest though it may have lasted the life of the warranty,
They are basically saying that an engine they rebuild is only good for just beyond that.
Sounds expensive to change the engine every year if that.

If this is truely an accident, they should be aiming for possitive feedback by keeping the customer satisfied, the price of one is insignificant.
Though if this happens regularly, then people should be aware to steer clear of them.

Pending the result of the conversation I have with them monday, will directly affect how I inform people of my experience, they are sat with 100% poss feedback.
My feedback at the moment will not be so generous, and if you were looking at an engine swap, checked the feedback and saw that someone else had one done and it lasted 8months, would you think one off? or steer clear?

I agree though, I don't think I'll be seeing any form of help from them.

Also I have AA through my bank, regretabbly.
As if I was actually with the AA, they could have helped me.
My friend had a similar problem a few years ago, and the AA stripped the engine and the person who did it for him had to take the hit even though it was out of warranty.

Thanks for your replies,
I need a beer!
Colin

Wabbitkilla

Anyone who says they rebuild an engine to last just beyond the Warranty is asking for a case from the authorities.
See if you can get that in writing and then take it to the CAB.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

ginger1

I suppose I could try and get them to pull the tape from the phone call?

Anonymous

Did you replace the main cat as Nic has asked, when the rebuild engine went in?

ginger1

When I had the initial rebuild I had a high flow cat installed, the last week I returned to standard, which was a second hand post cat as my original was split

Anonymous

Do you know the history of the 2nd hand cat? Is it possible you bought a blocked cat?

ginger1

I suppose it is possible, but I trust who I bought it from... so I'd like to think the cat is okay.
Is there a way to check?

Anonymous

Not sure tbh. Gutted for you, after the 2k outlay.
Be polite and calm at all times when dealing with the garage, but do emphasis that you are expecting some recourse from them as a goodwill gesture.
I have a 5 year old samsung tv that recently developed a fault which a google search found to be a known design fault, samsung repaired it foc, so worth trying.

mrzwei

I'm starting to lose this thread a bit (age   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )
Was it a second hand engine or a rebuilt second hand engine?
If the former then they wouldn't really have a clue about its condition. If the latter then you have a much stronger case.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

ginger1

Car = 2002
Engine = Second hand 2004 rebuilt, I believe it's a celica/corolla engine.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ginger1"Car = 2002

The one come back you may have is if they didnt install a 2004 engine,check the engine numbers against these:   l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33717&hilit= l

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "life of bryan"
Quote from: "ginger1"Car = 2002

The one come back you may have is if they didnt install a 2004 engine,check the engine numbers against these:   l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33717&hilit= l

Good one Bryan!   s:D :D s:D

mrzwei

Also, if THEY rebuilt it then you would reasonably expect the crank and bearings to have been checked and if necessary reground and oversize shells to have been fitted. This would be fundamental to an engine rebuild.
You would then expect them to last the average life of an engine (Z11 70k?).

First though you still need to establish exactly what the fault is.

All hinges on how they choose to deal with your complaint so just be sure about what you want the outcome to be and maybe have a fallback position.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

mrzwei

Also again, the warranty doesn't alter your statutory rights in that what was sold must be fit for purpose etc. so you could reasonably expect an engine to last for longer than 6000 miles so, as suggested, the CAB will still be an option.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

ginger1

I had a look but I can't work it out, my number is 1ZZU267547

Thanks again for all of your responses.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ginger1"I had a look but I can't work it out, my number is 1ZZU267547

Thanks again for all of your responses.

The "U" should be a number,are you sure you got it right?

ginger1

I know it should be a number that's what's confusing.
Yeah I took it from exactly the same place on the previous engine...
which was 1ZZ090*** not sure why it has a U

Tags: