Engine Rebuild Failure.

Started by ginger1, June 8, 2012, 14:20

Anonymous

Worth contacting Toyota GB and asking if they can tell you the year.

Anonymous

Unless. There is an engine very similar to the 1zz however has smaller valves, might explain the engine code.

Anonymous

Quote from: "rbuckingham"Unless. There is an engine very similar to the 1zz however has smaller valves, might explain the engine code.

If that is the case wouldnt fitting the wrong type of 1ZZ be enough for a small claims court case if it came to it?

mrzwei

I would think that that would be an addition to the evidence ie you didn't fit the right engine (fit for purpose again really).

I think you could build a good argument but just need to organise it in preparation for what the garage says.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

If they did fit the wrong engine, happy days as that means its there fault and they must either refund you or fit the correct engine. However its there choice on which it is.

ginger1

I hope it is the wrong one now,
But they'll just say operational equivalent.

I'd be happy with either, but know I'll get neither  s:-( :-( s:-(
Broken \":-(\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "ginger1"I hope it is the wrong one now,
But they'll just say operational equivalent.

I'd be happy with either, but know I'll get neither  s:-( :-( s:-(

Any difference in the engine no matter how small has an effect. The car was design and the ecu mapped to have a 1zz and nothing else, hence piggybacks and aftermarket ecu. If the engine wrong stand your ground as they are  sfuck fuck sfuck ed

ginger1

I'll ring Toyota with my fingers crossed  :-) :-) :-)
Thanks again

mrzwei

You really do need to have a strategy because you have at least two options.

1. Forget the warranty because what you sold me was not fit for purpose. (Sale of Goods Act stuff)
You didn't recondition the engine properly, it should last at least 70k.

2. You sold me the wrong engine, it's not a 1ZZ for an MR2 Roadster. (Still Sale of Goods act stuff)

It doesn't really matter which one is your first pitch because the other one then becomes the back up.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

Wabbitkilla

I bet trading standards would love to hear about an engine supplier who admits to.supplying engines they have designed to only last just beyond a 6000mile 6 month warranty!

Sent from a planet somewhere nearby
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ginger1

It just started?!!
By no means did it sounds at all healthy, but it's not ceased.

mrzwei

That's good news really, particularly if you can get it to the engine supplier.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

ginger1

Right, had a long day of phone calls.

Toyota - Engine number is fine some just start with letters others with numbers all internals are the same.

CAB - Write a letter containing Sales of Good Act 1979 the information about the failure and the reason and give them 7-14days (at my discretion) to respond, contact again if any more issues.
If paid by credit card, Send the same letter to them too, quoting Claim under Section 75, Sales of Goods Act. As it was bought with their money you have more rights. (NOTE If you consider anything like this then pay by Credit Card)

Engine Supplier - This is where it gets fun.

It's out of the 6month warranty so that's all.
I quoted Sales of Goods Act 1979,
he replied - it's 2013 mate,
to which my response was just as snid - It's actually 2012 and show the law some respect.
His response - Loads of people ring up quoting the law,
My response - Loads of people ring up about problems do they...
His response - No... just on the occasion people to have problems.

After suffering his intolerable attitude, I asked if the Oil pump came with the engine, Response "Yes".
So either bad rebuild caused damage then blocked oil flow, or oil pump failed, both causes are your responsibility.
No out of warranty... not about warranty anymore mate, about my rights as a consumer.

Well we don't know how you drive...
So you're saying I red line everywhere?
No, but it is a sports car...
And my old engine had 66k when I bought it and I replaced WITHOUT FAILURE at 97, meaning it coped with some 31k of my "Red Lining" without fault.
We need to see your 500&5000mile service reciepts and speak to the manager tomorrow, that's fine I'll email you them but it's not under warranty so the conditions of it are meaningless  :-) :-) :-)

Fun day for me.
But hopefully getting somewhere
Colin

Anonymous

Quote from: "ginger1"Toyota - Engine number is fine some just start with letters others with numbers all internals are the same.

I think they just fobbed you off there,not all 1ZZ engines are the same which would explain why some have a letter.None of the engine numbers given on that engine number link have a letter.

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32399&hilit= l

ginger1

He just said the 1zz-fe is the same for all cars.
In that link you gave it says the avensis only has 127bhp according to spec, then suggests it could be down to mapping or something, which is irrelivant if the block is the same?
I will try another Toyota tomorrow just in case

Colin

Anonymous

We have the 1ZZFED fitted to the MR2,I can't spoon feed you everything you are going to have to do your own research into the specifics but I believe they have different con rods and head.

ginger1

Don't mean for you to feel like you're spoon feeding,
But when I spoke to Toyota, they told me a 1zz-fe is a 1zz-fe.
Now one has to be wrong so I shall ring a different Toyota tomorrow and ask them instead.
I will let you know my findings anyway

Anonymous

Ask yourself why would they have different engine codes if they are the same? With the 1ZZFED  fitted to the MR2 and celica and the 1ZZFE fitted to more run of the mill cars.

ginger1

I didn't realise there was a D... You make a good
Point though.
I will question to where my donor originated as well as asking
Toyota.
Cheers

mrzwei

Quote from: "ginger1"I quoted Sales of Goods Act 1979,
he replied - it's 2013 mate,
to which my response was just as snid - It's actually 2012

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Absolutely classic, some lines you just can't make up!

So well done really. I'm telling you what you are already doing because it's 'broken record technique' , uncomfortable as it is, from here. Stick to the 'forget warranty' line and concentrate on 'you didn't recondition the engine properly', not fit for purpose, it should have lasted for at least 70k (or whatever).

There was a fairly recent post on here where a member went as far as the small claims court and won but I can't find it.

I wouldn't complicate things with the engine type issue until you see how plan A progresses. Just keep it up the sleave.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrzwei"There was a fairly recent post on here where a member went as far as the small claims court and won but I can't find it.

I wouldn't complicate things with the engine type issue until you see how plan A progresses. Just keep it up the sleave.

Was it this one?   l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36088&hilit= l

mrzwei

Thanks for that link Bryan, I feel I've just read War and Peace   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

No, I'll try to get the brain cell working!
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

ginger1

I just read it to, took a while.
I sent her a few questions anyway, see if she has done anything different and maybe cut some timely processes out as I need a car...

ginger1

So I have spoken to the manager.

He offered - I remove engine, they will collect
Investigate the problem, if they find it to be them at fault,
Then they will pay half of the cost to rebuild it.

He said that their solicitor thinks from what he's seen they won't lose so it's a good offer and anything else will take a lot longer.
Think he's playing a scare technique?
They still haven't replied with engine info, so still the waiting game.

AckersMR2

Quote from: "ginger1"So I have spoken to the manager.

He offered - I remove engine, they will collect
Investigate the problem, if they find it to be them at fault,
Then they will pay half of the cost to rebuild it.

He said that their solicitor thinks from what he's seen they won't lose so it's a good offer and anything else will take a lot longer.
Think he's playing a scare technique?
They still haven't replied with engine info, so still the waiting game.

1. Will he pay half your costs of removing the engine?
2. Thats a big 'if'
3. Is that half 'their' cost or half they would normally charge for a rebuild?
4. So the solicitors a mechanic too?
5. It will take longer you can be sure of that, legals charge by the hour and by the stamp!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:( :( s:(
6. As your looking to sell it anyway I guess you have to look at its current value as it stands or stripped (added hassle/time?) against the cost of fixing it up and its value as a runner?
7. (most important) is the hoover on its way  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Its a bit off to say "well if we find we've messed it up we'll only charge you half to put right what we should have done in the first place!"
I'm surprised they didn't say "well you only asked for our Level 1, don't worry i'm selling it on rebuild" rather than their "Level 2, this ones a keeper rebuild"
Are you sure they didn't just gunk and jet wash your engine and put it back in?
My only car is a Ducati 

Tags: