Beginning of the End already?

Started by shanej2k8, June 9, 2012, 23:42

MattPerformance

Quote from: "shanej2k8"so these wuldnt just fail on their own accord?

No.  They will have failed due to oil starvation.  You need to figure out why they were starved of oil.

shanej2k8

Quotebut I would sell the car on pretty quickly

Giving me great confidence there... :/

shanej2k8

So... If worse comes to the worst... What about this?

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-AVENSI ... 19d1d5511e m

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "shanej2k8"So... If worse comes to the worst... What about this?

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-AVENSI ... 19d1d5511e m

It would do the job, price seems ok, and the feedback seems fair.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

shanej2k8

Ok with all that in mind, what then would be a reasonable fitting price? How many hours am I looking at?

Obviously the mech that works on my cars is looking at it today at some point. So ill more than likely get him to price up both rebuild or replacement and see what he says... They are usually reasonable on labour and part prices tbh...

Just read up about the pre-cats aswell... So when i either decide to get it rebuilt or replaced am I wise to remove the pre-cats and get a de-cat manifold system installed to stop them causing issues there? What will I be looking at for Emissions problems if I remove them?

AckersMR2

Gut the internals of your standard pre cat manifold is free or for a bit of engine bay bling buy a new cat-less manifold £110-£250 or 2nd hand £60-£100, depending who from and leave off the heat shields?
Pre cat is only there for the Californian emissions laws so no issue over here  s:) :) s:)
My only car is a Ducati 

smarty72

Quote from: "AckersMR2"Gut the internals of your standard pre cat manifold is free or for a bit of engine bay bling buy a new cat-less manifold £110-£250 or 2nd hand £60-£100, depending who from and leave off the heat shields?
Pre cat is only there for the Californian emissions laws so no issue over here  s:) :) s:)

Bear in mind though that if the precats have been injested by the engine (instead of removed by the previous owner) you may need to replace the main cat as its likely to have become clogged with the precat material.  To replace/rebuild the engine and run it with a clogged main cat is likely to lead to further problems.   s:( :( s:(
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

shanej2k8

This does just get worse and worse then.. So my best bet if its that is to replace engine, manifold and whole cat?

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "shanej2k8"This does just get worse and worse then.. So my best bet if its that is to replace engine, manifold and whole cat?

That is ... the most sensible course of action, now you see why many of us recommend removing the precats before you encounter any problems.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

shanej2k8

Ye see why now  s:( :( s:( ... Didnt even know such thing existed tbh though... well guess all I can do is sit back and let them do the work  s:| :| s:| ...

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "shanej2k8"Ye see why now  s:( :( s:( ... Didnt even know such thing existed tbh though... well guess all I can do is sit back and let them do the work  s:| :| s:| ...

I feel for you, it's really not a happy thing to go through.
In these situations it's a toss up between figuring out why it happened by stripping the engine, or cutting losses and just replace the engine, gut the precats (or what's left of them), and replacing the main cat. The reason why is because you can spend as much trying to save a broken engine as it would cost just to replace it and it would take less time replacing it. If you do replace the engine be sure that you put decent oil in it and keep a close eye on everything   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Spotting if the precats have broken down is a relatively straight-forward thing to do for the competent mechanic.
Pulling the plugs will show if the engine has swallowed precat or has burnt a large amount of oil.
You can take the sump pan off with the engine in place to check the big end bearings, all something the mechanic can do in an afternoon.

Anonymous

CTP are doing a brand new built bottom end for only a few bob more than that. Got all the upgrades and everything.

shanej2k8

Been to garage, he refused to do just the shells and said wud be a rebuild or drop one in... so im gna go for the drop one in option and get decat manifold and possibly normal cat too all at once... is there anything else that i shud get done too while theyre in the area? baring in mind clutch it fekin new already lol...
its a good job my second ppi claim come thru today xD... someone might actually be looking down on me afterall...

mrzwei

That's sensible advice from the garage. I did just shells once (I had no money) and 500 miles down the road, guess what, I needed more money   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

smarty72

Am I right in thinking you purchased this car barely two weeks ago with 66k and a fsh?

And since then you've had to replace a knackered clutch, the engine management light has come on, the engine has drunk all its oil and lunched on its big ends?

Where did you get it from, cos I think that's too much of a coincidence!

smarty72

And you only paid £1580 for it?

Anonymous

QuoteCTP are doing a brand new built bottom end for only a few bob more than that. Got all the upgrades and everything.

Just correcting a mistake in my previous post. The CTP engine bottom end is in fact rebuilt, prebuilt. Not brand new. In which case youd be better off going to Mattperformance.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "dick2ski"
QuoteCTP are doing a brand new built bottom end for only a few bob more than that. Got all the upgrades and everything.

Just correcting a mistake in my previous post. The CTP engine bottom end is in fact rebuilt, prebuilt. Not brand new. In which case youd be better off going to Mattperformance.

The CTP / Toyota (TMD) block that Toyota would supply and fit is a rebuilt block incorporating  all of the 2005 modifications. This is why they will take your old engine back even if there is a hole in the side. You will be getting a 1ZZ with the latest spec and hopefully with all previous issues avoided. For a further £300 or so, you can have a brand new block. CTP work out cheaper than going to Toyota, particularly for all the other bits you need for the build (bolts, gaskets, water and oil pumps etc). With Matt fitting it for you, you will have a reliable solution. Not the cheapest way to go, but if you intend to keep the car, it is the smart way to go.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

shanej2k8

Right ok so where are these places and whats the links? :S

So this isnt just gna be a case of getting a new lump and dumping it in? I need new pumps etc aswell? Cant i just reuse the old stuff?

ChrisGB

Check the Forum's affiliates section. Parts from CTP (cheap toyota parts), Matt  (Mattperformance) for the work.

Parts wise, you need a minimum of the short engine, head bolts,  top end gasket set. Worth renewing oil and water pumps while you are in there but if fundage is tight and the oil pump in good condition, not essential.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

smarty72

Quote from: "smarty2072"Am I right in thinking you purchased this car barely two weeks ago with 66k and a fsh?

And since then you've had to replace a knackered clutch, the engine management light has come on, the engine has drunk all its oil and lunched on its big ends?

Where did you get it from, cos I think that's too much of a coincidence!

Don't want to be a pain, but if this is the car you bought a couple of weeks ago (depending on where you bought it) you may have some come back on the seller!

shanej2k8

bought it private paid in cash, sold as seen :S not much come back on that really

StuC

being picky, do you have a reciept that says 'sold as seen' or the original advert stating that?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

shanej2k8

Ye got a receipt saying date time sold as seen and signed by both of us...

shanej2k8

Does the VVTI use HT IGNITION LEADS to connect the plugs with dizzy? Or does this engine use some other sort of fuel igniting process/parts? Just wondering as I wouldnt mind changing the leads too if thats whats on this model...

Tags: