problems after K&N induction install?

Started by dansage, June 13, 2012, 20:51

dansage

Hi all,

Ive just fitted the K&N induction kit without any issues, but my engine wont tick over?

The MAF sensor is connected correctly, and i followed all the instructions.

The engine starts perfectly cold and revs at around 1400, but then just dies as though starved of fuel?

i have half a tank and it was perfect before i installed.

Any help or ideas?

Thanks
Black 2000 Mr2. 17 inch alloys, 35mm lowering kit, Full stainless proflow double twin exhaust, K&N cool air induction kit, led light upgrades, blue plasma glow white dial dash, short shift kit, push button start, hard top.

mrzwei

Can you still drive it ie does it just stall on tickover but if you rev it a bit you can drive it?
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

dansage

in short - no.

ive tried feathering the throttle to get it to run but it just wants to die
Black 2000 Mr2. 17 inch alloys, 35mm lowering kit, Full stainless proflow double twin exhaust, K&N cool air induction kit, led light upgrades, blue plasma glow white dial dash, short shift kit, push button start, hard top.

mrzwei

Can you get a code reader on it?
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

dansage

ive ordered one but its not yet arrived.

ive just had a thought - when installing i do remember thinking that the MAF sensor looked as though it was the wrong way round from original intall? it cant be installed wrong as it only fits one way, but i wonder?

dansage

i think ive installed the induction pipe the wrong way round and hence the MAF is the wrong way. I assume this would DEF give the issues ive got.

Run out of time now, but ill try tomorrow.

Dang, these instructions really arent that clear!

loadswine

Is the MAF housing exactly the same size as stock? If not, it will not run properly on a stock ecu.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

mrzwei

The maf is the obvious suspect because I think the cold start is a different system (not sure).

Check any connections you had to remake between the maf and the engine, an air leak or something could really mess up the signal to the ecu

EDIT: You've probably solved it   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

dansage

im convinced the induction pipe is the wrong way round. ive fitted the filter on the wrong end  s:( :( s:(

should have investigated when my instincts told me it appeared the wrong way round!

The MAF just bolts straight into the new induction pipe, which is the same bore as the old one so will make no difference.

its a 45 degree bend in the middle, so is easy to get wrong. - Im trying to convince myself  s:) :) s:)

mrzwei

If you still get a problem then post a pic.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

loadswine

if it doesn't have the vanes that the stock pipe has, problems are to be expected. maf housing matching stock is critical really.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

dansage

update

SORTED! - it was the wrong way round. refitted and reset ECU and all ok. not driven yet as chucking down  s:-( :-( s:-(  but love the intake sucking sound at tickover!

Cheers for your help as always

porscheguy944

how did you get the side vent out to install the air pick up tube?
I just bought this for my 2000 spyder would love to see install pictures of yours for additional help in my install
My name is Roger and I am a gear shifting tire burning low flying High output Carbon aholic.......
Thank GOD there are normal people out there
which leaves all of the fun cars left over for us

Current rides: 1997 Lotus Esprit TT 3.5 L V-8 482 RWHP 2005 SLK55 AMG 5.5L 366 HP 2008 C63 AMG 456 HP

E

Quote from: "porscheguy944"how did you get the side vent out to install the air pick up tube?
I just bought this for my 2000 spyder would love to see install pictures of yours for additional help in my install

here you go    m http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/57i-9002_inst.pdf m

porscheguy944

Thank You but I have the instructions.
I want to know how do you get the side vent out without breaking it????
Do you just pull it and hope for the best?
Or is there a couple of fasteners that need to be accessed first?
Photo's would be great of how this comes out?
My name is Roger and I am a gear shifting tire burning low flying High output Carbon aholic.......

Current rides: 1997 Lotus Esprit TT 3.5 L V-8 482 RWHP 2005 SLK55 AMG 5.5L 366 HP 2008 C63 AMG 456 HP

E

Ah I see what you mean. From the how to section, you only need the 1st part,  l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12587 l   whilst you are in there make sure you clean out those drains.

E

Even more relevant also in the how to section  l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12582 l

porscheguy944

I did the install last night and today driving in to work after 45 minutes it now has a really bad bog................... and slight missfire too????
I have the vsv hanging out in the middle of the the area where the old air cleaner box was located as it di not say anywhere to drill the tube for reinstalling it at all???
Any ideas guys?

E

Did you reset the ECU, if not then disconnect the battery for 20-30 mins.  If I remember correctly my  VSV is also loose I think I cable tied it to one of the pipes knocking around there just to keep it tidy.

trevsmr2

Show us a picture of your fitment

is it this kit ?

heres a pic of one fitted to a car (google images)

heres a pic of it fitted on my car
ive routed the intake pipe through the side vent though

porscheguy944

I am trying to add the pictures now still runs like sh*t ................. darn I am unimpressed so far with this upgrade!

porscheguy944

Here is a link to todays upgrades ( drilled & slotted rotors / ceramic pads strut tower brace and under chasis brace rear. New front hubs rt and lt sides.
I was going to do this anyway so did it today and then did some drivability checks and still runs awful so installed two new O2 sensors the two that were previuosly up by the precats now down in the test pipeforward end . still popping the p0125 code and p0135 p0145 p0155 codes after new o2 sensors and scan and clearing codes after

m http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee29 ... =slideshow m http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/rhedstromii/2000%20MR2%20Spyder%20silver/?albumview=slideshow
let me know if this worked?

porscheguy944

porscheguy944

chris3boro

Quite a few complain that the k&n ind kit dont work well on these, maybe just go back to standard with a k&n panel filter, sell the induction kit? Bet it sounds good if nothing else now though

Tags: