problems after K&N induction install?

Started by dansage, June 13, 2012, 20:51

Wabbitkilla

If you send Spit a pm, he has an e-Manage Ultimate on the shelf which has all the jumpers set up correctly.
It's a great piece of kit, if you get the software and connect a laptop via usb it will tell you loads about your car, probably more than the OBD2 port does.
Be wary of upgrading the e-Manage software, the ecu immobiliser has a habit of cutting the power when it's only part way through the upgrade.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

porscheguy944

PM sent to spit About pin jumpers and set up for first time user info help.
I was just up at the dealer new TPS is installed and did a pull of the ecu fuses to clear all codes that were locked in.
Runs better but still no o2 sensor out put from pre cat o2's.
Having them install a set of factory o2's now and rechecking for signal out put.
If still no signal then looking at a possible ECU failure and replacement?
Or wiring issuses?
Will update latter today on findings.
My name is Roger and I am a gear shifting tire burning low flying High output Carbon aholic.......
Thank GOD there are normal people out there
which leaves all of the fun cars left over for us

Current rides: 1997 Lotus Esprit TT 3.5 L V-8 482 RWHP 2005 SLK55 AMG 5.5L 366 HP 2008 C63 AMG 456 HP

Wabbitkilla

Incredibly rare to have ecu failures on our cars.
If they can compare the traces of the two o2 sensors, then you will see the difference between the banks. It does seem counter-intuitive thatyou would end up with a difference when they're in the same pipe ... but it happens every time in my experience.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

porscheguy944

one sensor is in the passenger side of the pipe up stream about 4 inches of the other which is on the drivers side of the same pipe 4 inches down stream and in the begining of the bend in the pipe.It may have to dowith how lazy air is and the laminer air flow caricaristics of the interior of the pipe causing a disrution of low or boundery air flow seperation along the length of the bend.Like water flowing around a curve in a river faster out the inside slower on the outside of the bend.
My name is Roger and I am a gear shifting tire burning low flying High output Carbon aholic.......

Current rides: 1997 Lotus Esprit TT 3.5 L V-8 482 RWHP 2005 SLK55 AMG 5.5L 366 HP 2008 C63 AMG 456 HP

Peter Wright

Im still having slight problems having tried different set ups with one o2 would like to try this setup  m http://www.power-enterprise.co.jp/USA/c ... s/mrs.html m  but a bit scared to mess around with the ecu
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

porscheguy944

Just picked the car up from dealer:
O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2 was new but inop ( no signal ) replaced it
 and slaved it into bank 1 sensor 1 (just the blue signal wire ) white is ground and blacks are for heater curcuit.
and then found a spike on the TPS check out with a occilliscope sign wave check ( throttle position sensor ) was intermitent .
Replaced TPS sensor and retested curcuit.
checked fine now
Road test two trip method to cofirm faults.
second trip after full warm up cylinder #2 fuel injector low flow when commanded to go rich via laptop and software provided by dealer.
Replaced bad fuel injector
road test two trip runs out fine now!!
4 hours of testing and parts replacement and road tests latter $467.00 US and she now runs fine!!!!!
I am going to push my luck tonight and put the K&N back in when I get home from work and go for a spin again......crossing fingers this does not over tax the remaining fuel injectors by upping thier duty cycles..........this is what the tech thought had happened to #2 injector.

side note: I believe the OBX header system is of poor lay out for the location of the o2 sensors
and that they need to be set up more like the factory version.

So I have made a appointment for friday to have two stainless steel 18m bungs welded onto the #1 cyclinder Bank 1 &   #2 cylinder bank 2 to mock the factory system and thus have two signal for the ECU to set fuel independant of each other.

I am planning on buying a wide band o2 to add to the E-Manage Ultima system I will be installing soon.
Thank you for all of the support guys!!!!!!!!!!!! It has been a new learning curve to get past to this point for me.

porscheguy944

On the drive home last night after work the CEL came back on
but drivability stayed good for an Hour drive......
got home scanned the ecu came up with code P0420 cat low efficiancey.......
 cleared code with scanner and pulled efi fuses for 1 minute
installed K&N cold air kit took two trips at full engine temp and over 65MPH for 20 minutes no codes....
drove in to work over 65 MPH for 45 minutes still no codes.................
This may be the final fix for this issue?...............I will up date as things progress miles and weather or not I get any more codes.................
Thanks again guys for the help.

ChrisGB

Good to hear it seems to be fixed. Always a bind when you get multiple codes displayed.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

porscheguy944

I failed to mention the differance with the K&N cold air kit on now.
The header with the cat eliminator pipe  and OBX/CHE twin tip lotus exhaust made a nice seat of the pants differance in proformance pulls nice up from 3300 rpm through red line.
The K&N cold air kit added to that feeling but added quite a bit of intake noise.
Over all the two together are a nice increase in HP milage went up a little too.............NICE!
I would recommed these to mods to all for the low cost and the gains.

porscheguy944

Just e-mail modern automotive proformance to see if he can fit me in for the added o2 bungs in the down tubes for this morning.
I hope to some what duplicate the original layout from the factory with two up by the head on banks 1 and 2 for a more balanced o2 signal before going into the E-Manage Ultimate for fuel curves  and tuning.

porscheguy944

on a side note I did all nighter saturday night and hellped my son put a set of shorty stainless steel headers in the 2009 ford 45th aniv mustang.
Picked up a couple of horsepower and deepend up the exhuast note a tad.
Today put in the ford racing cold air kit and reflashed the ecu noticable power uptake!!!

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "porscheguy944"Just e-mail modern automotive proformance to see if he can fit me in for the added o2 bungs in the down tubes for this morning.
I hope to some what duplicate the original layout from the factory with two up by the head on banks 1 and 2 for a more balanced o2 signal before going into the E-Manage Ultimate for fuel curves  and tuning.

I doubt it considering the first place your header pipes meet is right down at the collector for the eliminator pipe.

FGrob

I suggest you fix the bungs in pipes 1 & 3 (working from the timing chain end) just above the collector, something similar to this:

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

spit

Quote from: "porscheguy944"PM sent to spit About pin jumpers and set up for first time user info help.

I didn't receive a PM from you   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Looking through this thread and others you might be beyond needing EM-U jumper info by now ..... but if you want pics or info let me know. I'll be no use for first-time user info though ...... as Nic said, the EM-U is sitting on a shelf! Hoping it will find its way to the car eventually when I'll likely be asking you for setup info   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

porscheguy944

thank you.....I did get some help on this and have found the jumper set up.

Tags: