Very Worrying Rattle @ 2000rpm

Started by Anonymous, May 9, 2004, 15:21

Anonymous

Folks,

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions...

My 2 has developed a very loud metallic rattle as it accelerates and decelerates through 2000 revs.  By the process of elimination I've worked out the following:

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   It's definitely engine and is coming from around the manifold / spark plug area. The nearest thing I can liken it to is it sounds as though there's a very large screw bouncing around on a metallic plate.  In fact at first I thought it might have been something along these lines - but now I think it's a bit more serious.

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   It's motion-related, i.e. it doesn't happen if I just rev the car past 2000rpm whilst stationary and/or in neutral.

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    The rattle is pretty much continuous if I hold at 2000 revs but disappears as I accelerate.  When I take my foot off the pedal and let the revs come down it happens again at the same point.

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    There is no discernible loss in power at all.

Recently (before this rattle) I've been thinking that there's been a change in the engine note - a little bit louder on idle - but I put this down to my Apexi CAI (although that's been on there a while).  The other thing that might be a factor is that I floored it a bit coming home on the motorway last night but this rattle wasn't there when I came off onto the slower roads.

Any thoughts folks  s:?: :?: s:?:    Frankly, I am absolutely sh*tting myself but the one calming thought I have is that I'm still under warranty - for 1 more month   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:!: :!: s:!:

Tem

Quote from: "R2MUL"The rattle is pretty much continuous if I hold at 2000 revs but disappears as I accelerate.  When I take my foot off the pedal and let the revs come down it happens again at the same point.

I got this one when Toyota replaced my engine, symptoms are just like yours. I also noticed that I don't get the sound with cold engine, only after it warms up...is it the same with you?

I'm guessing it's transmission/clutch, but that's only a guess. I already decided I won't be bothered with it for now, unless something actually breaks  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"I got this one when Toyota replaced my engine, symptoms are just like yours. I also noticed that I don't get the sound with cold engine, only after it warms up...is it the same with you?

Tem,

It there when cold and warmed up.  The bizarre thing is I need to go up a moderately steep slope to get home and it didnt happen coming up there but did everywhere else.  I'm reluctant to go out and try it again for fear of doing more damage   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

are you sure it's not one of your heatshields that has cracked and vibrating against the exhaust? ive already had one taken off as it was vibrating on the cat when everything was warmed up. now i think the other (near the manifold) has developed a crack because it still sounds clattery around 2000-3000 revs

these are common problems btw

Tem

Quote from: "R2MUL"It there when cold and warmed up.  The bizarre thing is I need to go up a moderately steep slope to get home and it didnt happen coming up there but did everywhere else.  I'm reluctant to go out and try it again for fear of doing more damage   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Yeah, it doesn't seem to show up when you load the transmission a bit. It's perfectly quiet under load, doesn't matter if you accelerate fast enough on level or go uphill. Only comes on constant speed "cruise" with light throttle and when slowing down.

Since you're still in warranty, you should definitely go nag about it  s8) 8) s8)

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"are you sure it's not one of your heatshields that has cracked and vibrating against the exhaust? ive already had one taken off as it was vibrating on the cat when everything was warmed up. now i think the other (near the manifold) has developed a crack because it still sounds clattery around 2000-3000 revs

these are common problems btw

Yeah, some old posts mentioned those, so I ripped them all off, but no difference  s:? :? s:?  And shouldn't they clatter at the gives revs even when you depress the clutch..?

Anonymous

QuoteAnd shouldn't they clatter at the gives revs even when you depress the clutch..?

if it's the exhaust/manifold heatshield than yes they should still clatter when the clutch is depressed as it doesn't have anything to do with the transmission.

ive no idea then mate, what oil are you using??? ive heard a lot of rattley engines beacuse of the wrong oil being put in.

Hpefully one of the tech guru's will be along soon i.e markiii etc..

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"ive no idea then mate, what oil are you using??? ive heard a lot of rattley engines beacuse of the wrong oil being put in.

Hmmmm...whatever Toyota put in there for break in. Should change it for good stuff any day now...I'll let you know if it makes a difference  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Sounds exactly the same as what ive just encountered...

got toyota to take a look while in for its 30k service and the problem is with the front pipe of the exhaust.  nothing they can do but replace it under warranty.

Suggest a visit to mr t ASAP as the invoice for the new front pipe was over £600.   apparantly it also has the cat attached hence the price.

darrenjuggins

Hi,

Agree with above post, I got a real matallic sound from rear a while back now, took it in and they had had a recall on some part or other on the exhaust.

It sounding like somthing bouncing of metal, a pinging type sound, they new exactly what it was and replaced it under warranty.

apparently it is some weld, which has now been modified.

take to dealer for warranty repair.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Cheers Guys,

Not that I would anyway but it's so loud it's far too embarrasing to drive   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Straight over to Mr T in the morning me thinks.  I wasn't going to extend the warranty but I'm beginning to doubt the sense in this now...

darrenjuggins

Hi,

yes the embaressement of the noise was evident with me, driving round sheffield, shiny car, matallic rattle with roof down was very   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:     s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  !!!!

They will know what it is, if not get them to Ring Listers in Lincoln and check the Warranty (Long as your arm list) for Juggins......

It's on there on 1 of the 3 pages !!!! tee, hee !!!! (Please note I am a very demanding customer, therefore, most things changed would have probably never have been noticed by other customer!!!!)

let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

Tags: