bubbling alloys now beginning to flake

Started by Anonymous, May 11, 2004, 09:25

Anonymous

just thought i would share with everyone that  my alloys started to bubble after my warrenty had ran out. this i was very mad at.

but to top it off i have now noticed that they arent just going to stay in the bubbling state but have now decided to flake off leaving black patches on my alloys.

looks like i will have to go and get them refurbed out of my own money

Anonymous

I think thats the stage they get to... ive yet to have mine replaced and they have started to bubble and now flake in places. Im not too fussed as they will be replaced under warranty.

You might want to try KN Wheels that Sean (slacey) uses for his wheels - they seem to do a good job for little money. You could also try Pristine in Milton Keynes as they did a top job on my wheel i had done there... but they are expensive (compared to KN anyway).

Anonymous

ive found a place closer to me that does refurbishments but need to get a price from them.

kn was my prefered place but telfords abit far from me.

Anonymous

Yep, same happening to me. I have to refurb mine too and still looking for a refurb place near me, but just can't find one..............

Annoying isn't it? At least when we do get them refurbed, we should know that they are going to last a hell of a lot longer than the MrT jobs do!!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"Yep, same happening to me. I have to refurb mine too and still looking for a refurb place near me, but just can't find one..............

Annoying isn't it? At least when we do get them refurbed, we should know that they are going to last a hell of a lot longer than the MrT jobs do!!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

I'm in exactly the same position. They are down to the rusted metal on several spokes and look really bad. I'm guessing they are not covered by the anti-corrosion warranty?

I'll hopefully use KN wheels when I get chance but they require the wheels delivered without tyres which is a bit tricky when you don't have a garage to keep the '2 in? Hopefully I'll be able to sort something out so I can get them sorted or buy a secondhand set.

dave.

Anonymous

i wish these were covered by the anti-corrosion warrenty as i think its a joke that the alloys go this way.

i'm sure its about how many miles youve done in the car as against how old the alloys. and as ive done under 30,000 miles but my cars over 3 years old i think this is wrong that i cant get them changed free of charge.

Anonymous

Quote from: "keninski"i wish these were covered by the anti-corrosion warrenty as i think its a joke that the alloys go this way.

i'm sure its about how many miles youve done in the car as against how old the alloys. and as ive done under 30,000 miles but my cars over 3 years old i think this is wrong that i cant get them changed free of charge.

well, in reality, its not rust but oxidation on top of the metal... your anti-corrosion warranty works only for car body thats protected with anti-corossion treatment and only if there is a hole in it... little bit of rust on top of the metal is normal for exposed metal...

OZ Racing makes some nice, light alloy wheels   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I went to see my service manager at Mr T yesterday, to arrange for the replacement of my 4 wheels which have bubbled and flaked over the last few months.   Car is almost 2 years old, regularly washed and always garaged.

No problem with a new set and they will be fitted under warranty.

I asked about future problems and was 'told' that the new wheels are better prepared and should be okay, but he admitted that one of his customers is on his fourth set in 3 years!!!

I was also advised that he would ensure any future problems will be rectified as the car now has a 'history' of the problem, even if such problems arise outside the warranty period.

Wonder how I can get this in writing?

Andrew

Anonymous

I had mine replaced under warranty, now 2 years later they have gone again.  "No problem", I stupidly thought, "I have taken out the extended warranty".

"Oh no" says extended warranty man, "the policy only covers sudden mechanical and electrical failure".

So, I look at the small print in the warranty booklet and it seems he is correct.

I only took the extended warranty out after receiving a letter from Toyota stating "when you bought your Toyota it came with a 3 year manufacturer's warranty...I thought you may wish to take this opportunity to extend it".

The extended warranty is called "Manufacturer Equivalent".

In light of the above, I would have thought it was not unreasonable to expect it to be a like for like warranty, but it clearly is not.  It was obviously misrepresented to me and will be to anyone else.  Please bear this in mind before wasting £300 on extending yours.

Anonymous

Evo: someone else had the same problem, however when he kicked up a fuss he got them replaced IIRC. might be worth a quick search of the forum to see if you can find their post - could save you some money.

crankshaft

Hi Evo;

Hmm, that's very interesting as I am considering extending my warranty, and like you, was led to believe that it was identical to the original warranty.

If this is not the case, then I think we should kick up a stink on all of the Toyota Forums and let everyone know that this is a con, (fraud actually comes to mind), and I am certain that there are many (hundreds or thousands) of people who are also being misled !

Crankshaft.
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

I am just about to write to Toyota GB, asking them to clarify the position.  Either they misrepresented the extended warranty, or they should replace the wheels.

I suspect that they will try and fob me off, but I have had enough of Toyota (and my dealer) one way and another. I think I will take them to the Small Claims Court if they try and mess me around.

Anonymous

My Alloys are bubling after being just 2 years and 2 months old with 26,000 miles.

took it to Toyota and they are replacing all 4 under warranty. No quibbles at all so im very pleased.

Anonymous

My warranty runs out in two weeks. Took the car to Toyota in Sidcup and they are replacing them under warranty. Anyone know how much the extended warranty is?
P.S. It's good to be back.
  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
[/b]

Anonymous

Quote from: "keninski"just thought i would share with everyone that  my alloys started to bubble after my warrenty had ran out. this i was very mad at.

but to top it off i have now noticed that they arent just going to stay in the bubbling state but have now decided to flake off leaving black patches on my alloys.

looks like i will have to go and get them refurbed out of my own money

Phone a friend with an MR2 under 3 years old, swap wheels and go th the dealer $%%^&^& my wheels! Change them   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  Just joking!

Liz

Quote from: "Hot Wheels"My warranty runs out in two weeks. Took the car to Toyota in Sidcup and they are replacing them under warranty. Anyone know how much the extended warranty is?
[/b]

Found on search, HTH!

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 42&start=0 m
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hot Wheels"My warranty runs out in two weeks. Took the car to Toyota in Sidcup and they are replacing them under warranty. Anyone know how much the extended warranty is?
[/b]

£395 for 1 year or £610 for 2 years, or if you do under 10k a year its £360 for 1 year, £560 for 2

Anonymous

Thanks. I think it is worth taking out the 2 year extension. I dont want the pre cat problem killing the car yet
Alec

Anonymous

Had my car at the dealer yesterday to look at the bubbling wheels and fogged up headlights while it's still under warranty.
Parts are ordered and will be in next Tuesday, no problems.

When I asked if they wanted the old wheels back, they said maybe not! It will probably take Toyota months to decide if they want them back or if they should just be scrapped.  So I might as well leave them on the car instead of taking up room in their shop.
This works for me, because I use the stock wheels for my snow tires, and I don't care what they look like when the car is covered with salt anyway.

Anonymous

Mine have started to flake out of warranty too, but at the 50k service my Toyota garage painted the black patches silver!

It was interesting to note that they're aware of the problem, and went to the trouble of covering it up!

I would have still preferred a new alloys as a gesture of goodwill however!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Ours is 15 months out of warranty, 40k miles, and the alloys have been bubbling for the last 12 months.  They had been replaced at 2 years old under warranty with previous owner for the same problem.

I was considering taking out the extended warranty - I know I have read another post that says they are not covered but there is no detail about wheels (other than the MOT cover exceptions) and it basically says manufacturers equivalent which includes wheels.

I have put a copy of the form I have at  m http://homepage.ntlworld.com/leon.judge ... n_form.pdf m

is this the same as others have used for extended warranties ?

Also, even if I manage to get Toyota to look at it, I have had one of the front wheels 'touched up' from being kerbed but the flaking is still visible - should that affect the warranty ?

thanks

Leon

Anonymous

Quote from: "leon_judge"Ours is 15 months out of warranty, 40k miles, and the alloys have been bubbling for the last 12 months.  They had been replaced at 2 years old under warranty with previous owner for the same problem.

I was considering taking out the extended warranty - I know I have read another post that says they are not covered but there is no detail about wheels (other than the MOT cover exceptions) and it basically says manufacturers equivalent which includes wheels.

I have put a copy of the form I have at  m http://homepage.ntlworld.com/leon.judge ... n_form.pdf m

is this the same as others have used for extended warranties ?

Also, even if I manage to get Toyota to look at it, I have had one of the front wheels 'touched up' from being kerbed but the flaking is still visible - should that affect the warranty ?

thanks

Leon

if you read the form, it is very obvious that covers mechanical or electrical breakdown, it even has a list of things COVERED and NOT COVERED.

Anonymous

There are three areas on the form though.

1) Manufacturers equivalent for vehicles up to 7 years old but under 100k miles.

2) Bronze cover for vehicles up to 7 years old but over 100k miles.

3) MOT Test Warranty.

Section 1, for which our car would fit into, doesn't appear to have any exclusions on top of those that would be in the original manufacturers warranty - those are the 18 items on page 3.  - No mention of wheels!

Section 2, doesn't technically have listed exclusions, but does have a pre-determined list of parts that are INCLUDED (I.e. not many - bit like those cheap RAC warranties you can get with second hand cars!).  Wheels would not be included here!

Section 3, is only for the MOT test warranty, again as in section 2 has a list of those items INCLUDED.  Wheels would not be included here!

I would assume, will call them to confirm, that if you fit within the section 1 manufacturers equivalent warranty that wheels should be covered ...

Thanks

s:D :D s:D

Tags: