Unexplainable noise... can anyone help?

Started by Anonymous, May 11, 2004, 13:00

Anonymous

Hello folks. I know how clever most of you lot are and I'm sure someone must have an idea what's going on with our '2! But I haven't, please help?

There is a noise coming intermitantly from the engine bay. I can only describe it as a metallic rasping/rattling sound. It seems to be when accelerating or decelerating but not when the revs are constant (i.e when your driving along). So pulling off, changing the lower gears, and slowing down... the noise is there. It's fairly loud!

Mr T looked at it when she was serviced about 2 weeks ago and said "it's the wire from your neon light rattling on the heat shield"... which I can comfortably say it isn't as I've strapped it up out of the way. Nothing seems obviously loose and after the service, the noise seems to have ecome worse rather than better.

We can't put up with it any longer (has been like this for a few months now) does anyone know what the problem is/might be?   s:? :? s:?     s:( :( s:(     s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

I can't say your description immediatly rings a bell, but as you live nearby if you want to drop round, show me what you mean, maybe I'll be able to put my finger on it a bit better and or add a second person who's heard it to help with suggestions here.  Send me a PM if you wanna do that.

Anonymous

Cheers for that Phil, Have PM'd you.

What do other people reckon?

Anonymous

heatshield itself?

Anonymous

Can check it out definately. All suggestions welcome!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

sound like the problem i had, it will be one of the heatshields that has cracked/corroded and is vibrating against the exhuast. most noticeable when changing up at around 3000 revs.

its only half hours labour to remove.

hope it is just that and not something more serious...  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

That sounds possible. Half an hour to remove, Presumably you need to replace this too?! Expect that'll cost me a small fortune?

Anonymous

you dont need the heatshields at all, although if you wanted a new one (the one on the cat) then you'd have to pay for a brand new cat as its all the same part number and will cost you £600

Anonymous

I had a rattle similar to this, sounded like a tapping consistent with the RPM of the engine and noticeable when idling.  Turned out to be a drive belt tensioner.  I got it fixed under warrantly by Mr T but had to pay for the cost the new belt (around £30/40).

Hope this helps.

Anonymous

Well, I met up with Jono & Emma this evening and had a listen.

It does indeed sound like a raspy rattle.  Metallic, quite loud.

It's not rev dependent and happens on accelerating and decelerating.

It doesn't seem to happen when going over bumps, and isn't predicatable... but happens lots and lots, very short pulses.  It'll also happen when revving the engine when stationary.   But doesn't happen on tick-over.

I had a listen in the engine bay and sounds like it's coming from the left side of the engine/gearbox and low down.  (nowhere near the accesory  belt tensioner)

I also had a squirrel under the car, and can't see anything obviously banging around, hanging off or loose, but it's hard to see.

Also I'm pretty sure you can rule the neon out... it's far too loud, in completely the wrong place and the wrong sound.

markiii

based on my experience.

just before where teh cat pipe enteres the cat,i.e where it goes from 2 to 1 (with the flexi pipe stuff) there is a heatshield, it has 3 - 4 bolts but is also tack welded. Teh weld has a habit ofcracking but the bolts make it seem like it's on tight.

I remeoved mine and  a noise very similar to this dissapeared.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

She's booked in for an appointment with Dr T on Thursday. We flagged the issue at its service about 2 weeks ago, a few days before the warranty expired and were fobbed off so we're gonna make them check it out again and fix it under the warranty as they should have done.

What a bummer eh   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

On closer inspection of the revs, there does seem to be some consistancy. It happens when accelerating at about 2500rpm and when decellerating at the same revs. Basically, whenever you hit around 2500rpm is rattles!

It's a mystery I guess. Will let y'all know what Dr T says and how we get on.

Many thanks for taking the time out to help us out Phil! Spot on mate.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone who suggested what the problem may be... DrT dioagnosed a rattling heatshield this morning. One new bolt later and the noise has gone   s:D :D s:D  

Problem solved, the MR2ROC-Doc's do it again!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Cheers

Jono & Emma

Darth Paul

Gosh, I love a happy ending!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

DP

Tags: