oil filler cap screw thread size

Started by wotugonado, July 6, 2012, 00:18

wotugonado

I have had a dumb moment and managed too lose my oil filler cap   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  i have found an after market one with 35 mm thread, does anyone know if that the correct size ?
let the p*ss taking commence  s:) :) s:)
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Treboeth

No idea about the size.

As for p taking you ain't the first to do it and won't be the last.........

Anonymous

Ive got a spare one here youre welcome to.

wotugonado

hi d!ck, that would be great if you have one, thanks.

In the mean time is there a temporary fix so i can use the car ?

Anonymous

Quote from: "wotugonado"hi d!ck, that would be great if you have one, thanks.

I wouldnt risk it but a big cork maybe?

Anonymous

Thats a tough call as anything getting sucked in or blown out could cause a nightmare. Id avoid using it till you sort something.

PM me your address and Ill pop it in the post first thing. Ill use the "Before 1pm service, Should be with you by 1 on Monday. Make sure its a manned address as it may not go through your letter box.

Anonymous

Quote from: "life of bryan"

I had to read that twice!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I think these are 32mm diameter,maybe you might get lucky and have a flask lid the same size.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

wotugonado

Ha ha id love to see the size of the bottles of wine you drink !!!!

Quote from: "dick2ski"

I had to read that twice!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Problem is im away on monday for the week, i ll try to arrange an alternative delivery address an get back to you, thanks

Anonymous

Quote from: "wotugonado"Ha ha id love to see the size of the bottles of wine you drink !!!!

There is big corks out there for jars.
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Tapered ... _795wt_952 m

Anonymous

QuoteProblem is I'm away on monday for the week, i ll try to arrange an alternative delivery address an get back to you, thanks

The alternative is virtually any breakers yard. Just ask the lads as thats the sort of thing they get asked every day. Probably standard on most Toyotas.

2 of the left

Whatever you do DO NOT use a DIY fix - the caps are designed to work on pressure within the tank Go to Mr T
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

wotugonado

Pm sent

Anonymous

Quote from: "2 of the left"Whatever you do DO NOT use a DIY fix - the caps are designed to work on pressure within the tank Go to Mr T

Not on the oil system. Oil system wants to have no pressure otherwise the crank case gets pressurised and it will then force the oil from the sump past the rings. The water system however is a pressurised system.

wotugonado

Quote from: "2 of the left"Whatever you do DO NOT use a DIY fix - the caps are designed to work on pressure within the tank Go to Mr T

The temptation is killing me, have nt driven it for three days now, i need my fix  s:D :D s:D  . Bloke at halfords said he had a customer lose his cap, so
he stuffed rag in there and drove it  s:roll: :roll: s:roll: , said the rag got sucked into the engine and  caused carnage, so i think ill take your advice and leave well alone.

Quote from: "wotugonado"Ha ha id love to see the size of the bottles of wine you drink !!!!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  thats one mahoosive glass, thats a lost weekend in the making if ever i saw one.

frogger

Just to confirm what D!ck suspected above - The oil filler cap is EXACTLY the same on every Toyota engine from the 1980's to today. Get one from any Toyota from a breakers and it will fit perfectly.

Anonymous

All bagged up for Mondays post. Shame your PM didnt arrive till after the PO shut.

2 of the left

Quote from: "rbuckingham"

Not on the oil system. Oil system wants to have no pressure otherwise the crank case gets pressurised and it will then force the oil from the sump past the rings. The water system however is a pressurised system.
Quite right!! My apologies to all  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   - was distracted when reading posts - My long lost son had returned home 15mins before!!!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

wotugonado

Cheers d1ck, your a star.
just thought id add D!ck asked for nothing in return just a club donation, if i wanted too.
Donation sent.

wotugonado

Been about 10 days since i could last drive the car, but big thanks to D!ck im up and running again   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

For any one else stupid/unlucky enough to do the same i think the oil filler cap thread is 35 mm, and nobody stocks it, at least by me anyway. Lesson learned the hard way.

mwyse005

I know this post was almost two years ago now but thought I'd add this.
 I've just driven 20 miles and then noticed a hot oil smell as I was in traffic with the roof down. I then remembered I forgot to do the oil cap up earlier. That explained the clunk whilst driving as it fell off!

Don't drive without an oil cap as it makes a huge mess! Oil everywhere now and 20 miles back home.  s:-( :-( s:-(
I don't think it's lost much oil compared to what it looks like but it will be a long slow drive now.

Tags: