My 3rd gen 3sgte powered MRS:

Started by 02bluerolla, July 13, 2012, 08:52

02bluerolla

THIS WAS MY OLD SET UP, THE CAR HAD A OVERHEATING PROBLEM THAT I COULDNT FIX   s:( :( s:(  
I have some questions regarding some coolant lines, and bleeding the air out the coolant. But first i want to share the build process, is not the best looking but is not bad either   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen: .

I have slowly modded my car for the past year and here are the results.  s:) :) s:)

First mods were coilovers and wheels

Then came the various engine swaps

'Aug 26, 2011
I wanted to share my project with yall , it all started when I wanted a bit more power and decided to do a 2zz swap. I purchased a 2zz of craigslist and the swap kit of monkeywrench.com. After gathering all the parts and installeda new oil pump and water pump I decided to install the engine. The engine ran fine for days until it started knocking, the bearings were gone.   I didnt know what to do, I could have just put back the 1zz and sell the remainig parts but  I found a good deal on another 2zz on a local junk yard. Long story short that engine didn't last more then a week and the junk yard would only give me credit so I let my bro have the credit and just to pay me.  At this point I was about to put the 1zz back, but my bro decide to give me the gen 3 3sgte hee had purchased from a silver a celica. We had the crazy idea to swap the 3sgte in the mrs.

stock

Wheels and coilovers

Taking down the 2zz

Our helper

Getting the 3sgte ready

3sgte is in!

QuoteWell its been awhile since I updated this thread, we have been real busy fixing the bugs and taking care of small details. On the video I posted the car wouldn't turn on because the fuel pump was wired wrong but we fixed it and here it is running. [url="https]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNZIfYTsh4I...be_gdata_player[/url]
The car wouldn't idle because most of the vacuums weren't connected.  
Now to the pictures

I decided to clean the engine bay a bit

After a few minutes

We also had to fix and filled some of the cutting and welding we did to fit the engine, mainly were the intake manifold seats.
It got late but we needed to finish it before we put the motor back in.

The engine almost ready to go back in

Ready!

Looks stock there's no swap here !

I also got my wheels last week! Konig wideopen.

Wheel

Test fitment

Here is the 2nd time we start her up with no vacuum leaks, but at the end my phone runs out battery  s:( :( s:(  

[url="https]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2aoG90hRAo...be_gdata_player[/url]

Right now we are almost done,  we are just waiting for the front and back mounts. Hopefully the car will be done this week.

UPDATE!!

Well a late update lol. The car has been running for the past 2 weeks. When we first started up the car it would idle fine but it wouldn"t rev pass 3000 rpm. We checked everything that could possibly go wrong. Everything was good! The car sat there for few weeks until we decided to rechecked everything again. We found out that we had the wrong ecu! I think i had a gen 2 ecu idk, but i ordered a gen 3 wrc ecu and it started and rev like it should.
Next up Was the shifter cables . I had try many different cables from various toyotas and none of them work, they were either to long or to short.
so i had to get custom ones.

for 30$  each not bad

I also had to use a 91 mr2 shifter assembly. I later clean it up and painted it.

Once i was done, the car shifted fine, not like i would like to but it shifted. The shifter lost is sporty feel, idk it felt  too smooth. I cant really explain it but i didnt like it. But i had to deal with it since it was the only solution i could come up with. Next came the wheels,i just had gotten some new rubber too.

I really like the wheels but like a moron i didn't research how wide i could go in the front and rear so i ended up with the front wheel poking out a bit too much....

i been thinking of buying or trading my front ones for some 15x7 enkie rpf1, but i really havent put the time and effort to do it.
Well bad luck struck and as soon as i put the car down on its 4 wheels and started it , the transmission got stuck in a gear. It turns out that i  was to excited to drive the car that i forgot to put oil in the transmission :facepalm: The next day  i found a transmission for 100$ in a local forum!  I picked that SOB fast  and started working on the mr2. After that the car has not gave me any problems. The car feels good !  Here are some recent pics after i cleaned her up. I have not pushed the car since the motor been sitting there for awhile plus i have new tires and clutch. My future mods would be putting my heat ex changer in the front instead of the back, get custom ac lines , and maybe get a power fc and a upgraded fuel system.

Quote[quotecelicatrd93]very very nice great job guys, would be nice if you can give more detail on the swap like what mounts? axles and most hard part of the swap that would be great and yessss a video  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  so how does it drive? what kind of numbers are you putting down the the gt30 turbo?

thanks
Well the engine is a 3rd gen 3sgte wrc from a celica st205. The engine has 268 cams, ATS cam gears, Gt3071r turbo kit, stock ecu , stock injectors, new water pump, new oil pump,  new thermostat, and every single gasket was change to a new one. I left the short block alone, since iam not really shooting for high horsepower.... yet lol.  For the transmission i wanted to keep it simple, i knew that E153 would required custom cv joints (axles?, idk the right term someone please correct me ) and also a different clutch kit. So i decide on the NA mr2 transmission (s54), i know its weaker but its a straight bolt on. Plus iam sure the E153 setup would of cost more then $1000, when the s54 transmission cost $100 And i can use the MRS stock cv joint (axle?). At first i was using a 95 celica gt transmission but the problem was that when i installed the shifter cables the car would shift backwards. For example when  i wanted to put  it in first it would go in to reverse.  I tought the problem was the transmission since it came out of a fwd car, so i bought  s54 from a mr2 but it was still the same. The problem was in the front, the stock mrs shifter assembly was making it shift backward. To fix it i bought a 92 mr2 shifter assembly and put spacer so it sits higher. Now the transmission didnt fit inside the engine bay so you just have to cut the crossmember a little bit and just make some space on the driver side of the engine bay to clear the transmission. The Front transmission mount is from the mrs but the transmission bracket is from a 95 celica gt  rear transmission bracket. It does not line up perfect but we cut it and modified to fit perfect. The front transmission mount is from the mrs , but the transmission bracket is from a 91 NA  mr2  front transmssion bracket. The bracket also had to be modified to fit, you just have to cut it a little bit so it clears the crossmember. The driver transmission mount and the passenger motor mount are fully custom. As far as power idk, i haven taken it to get dyno. I have seen similar setups make 300-320 at the wheels but on a mk2. I am planning to contact ATS real soon to see if they can dyno  and tuned my car.
[/quote]

[quote name='02bluerolla' date='Feb 18, 2012 - 12:28 PM' post='951999']
New parts arrived last week so  i decide to install them and since iam working on it i decided to relocate my heat exchanger .

ha the original one looks really thin compare to the new one

The fans bolted on perfectly.

And I also got my vanity plates!  s:D :D s:D  

[/quote]

02bluerolla

Well that was the last update i had until i notice that the car was overheating. I Drove the car to  work and back home, but that usually took 5 -10 mins. It started to overheat on longer trips.  s:( :( s:(   I tried everything, changed the thermoststat twice, Bought the mr2 coolant sensor housing, bleed the coolant system over and over, i even ran it without a thermostat and nothing changed. The temperature would always stay steady around 190-200 and then slowly rise up to 220-230.  The car was harder to start each day  so i just stop driving it. I always suspected that i had connected the heater hoses wrong but i never was sure until recently saw a thread here.
 l posting.php?mode=quote&f=7&p=356378 l

Quote from: "grsymons"Next job to look at is the water pipes. First I had to work out what pipe goes where. Note that the MK3 does not have a heater return line in the engine bay (it joins the main return line in the front of the car)

What i think i did wrong was connect the blue hose in the engine bay to the yellow hose  on the engine. I also block off the blue hose thats on the engine   s:( :( s:(  . What do yall think , could that cause the car to overheat?

grsymons

Note that my diagram is for a rev1 but I assume its the same for later rev's

I dont think that would cause overheating,I would guess the only issue that would cause it to stop the heater in the car from operating properly. Is the radiator fan kicking in when the car is up to temperature?

As per my PM to you I have retained the standard ecu and temp sensor to control the fan. As you are not the first person to pm me about wiring I will try and knock up a diagram of what I did this weekend (no promises though as Im a bit busy)

Oh and nice looking install   s8) 8) s8)

dcod

Quote from: "grsymons"Oh and nice looking install   s8) 8) s8)

+1
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

02bluerolla

Quote from: "grsymons"Note that my diagram is for a rev1 but I assume its the same for later rev's

I dont think that would cause overheating,I would guess the only issue that would cause it to stop the heater in the car from operating properly. Is the radiator fan kicking in when the car is up to temperature?

As per my PM to you I have retained the standard ecu and temp sensor to control the fan. As you are not the first person to pm me about wiring I will try and knock up a diagram of what I did this weekend (no promises though as I'm a bit busy)

Oh and nice looking install   s8) 8) s8)

well this the picture of the gen 3 , is about the same thing . Recently i bought another gen 3, i don't trust the one i have on the MRS right now.I think the head is warped or i have blown headgasket since car now smokes when it decides to start.  Iam in the proscess of installing the new gen 3 as we speak.  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

Tags: