YATT (Yet Another Tyre Topic)

Started by thekickinside, July 21, 2012, 21:55

thekickinside

picked up my '2 today from the dealer.

nearly new potanza's on the back,

fullrun asereezaadz166's (new or near as damn it) on the front -they look nice (name cast into tread etc) but i have worrys - that said in the DRY they felt ok...

thoughts/recommendations (replae them with t1r's or...)?

Treboeth

You really need to change to the same make tyre all round or risk ending up backwards in a ditch  s:( :( s:(  

Search for tyres many many threads discussing mismatched tyres.

thekickinside

that's what i thought TBH coming from a Smart Roadster I am familiar with the concept...

that said on the Smart i used to deliberately miss match my tyres front and back to give better grip on the front and less on the back so the back would slide first (on the basis i could catch that as long as the fronts were holding on...) - also suits my driving style

pretty convinced the ditch finders need to come off the front - is the consensus 'must match' and stick potenzas on then?

I did havea quick read i have to confess before posting...

2 of the left

Quote from: TreboethYou really need to change to the same make tyre all round or risk ending up backwards in a ditch  s:( :( s:(  

+1
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

thekickinside

ok ok i get the point.... (and to be fair it was what I was thinking anyway)- but you gota ask haven't you....now does anyone want to buy 2 nearly new ditch finders (joking!)

VVT-i

Quote from: "thekickinside"nearly new potanza's on the back,

fullrun asereezaadz166's (new or near as damn it) on the front .................. (replae them with t1r's or...)?

No "or".. replace them with the same Bridgestone's that are on the rear... just remember to get the correct size.

As cheap a tyre as the dealer could possibly get.. or, in other words, budget/economy tyres.. or another way, sh*t

If you change the make of tyre.. get the best you can afford and get all 4 tyres the same make and model in staggered sizes.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

thekickinside

to be fair judging by the MOT's pre dealer and the miles since the last mot I think as a cheap as the previous owner could get...but i take your point...

mrzwei

Quote from: "thekickinside"that's what i thought TBH coming from a Smart Roadster I am familiar with the concept...

that said on the Smart i used to deliberately miss match my tyres front and back to give better grip on the front and less on the back so the back would slide first (on the basis i could catch that as long as the fronts were holding on...) - also suits my driving style

I think that is common practice in FWD saloon racing where, in certain circumstances, it pays to mix wet and dry or new and old to get the back end out.
I'm sure that if you mix the tyres with the 2 it will either promote more or less under / oversteer. Problem is there will be no progression, it will just 'snap'.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

thekickinside

that was exactly the issue with the Smart (Brabus), it was RWD mid engine, and on pilots it would just snap (no warning what so ever) - by running pilots front and  452's back (the 452's slide rather than snapping) I found it safer never ever lost the front end and the back sliding gave you information & time to collect it all back up - that said my (very limited) playing with the '2 suggests much less info coming back at you anyway, then again as stated i havent remotely pushed it yet just waffled down a few a-roads an up the motorways...

think i will try the same all round to establish a base line anyway until i get used to it and where the limits lie, goign to be interesting comparing it to the Brabus an the two Subaru's I have at my disposal....(now they REALLY dont like mismatched tyres - then again most tyres dont like them, well not for very long...)

Tags: