toyota front and rear spats

Started by wotugonado, July 25, 2012, 11:01

wotugonado

Right i may have sourced some 2nd hand front and rear toyota spats, problem is they are still attached to the other car.
Couple of questions
what are they made of ?
how are they attached ?
finally any ideas how to remove them without causing damage, as i believe they are quite rare to come across and dont want to wreck them.
Any help is appreciated.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

AckersMR2

Does the other owner of the car know you plan to remove them?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

wotugonado

Quote from: "AckersMR2"Does the other owner of the car know you plan to remove them?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   He/she will do by this time tommorrow  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Just ironing the stealth balaclava as we speak.

PeteT

Your no where near me are you?

The spats are bonded and bolted on. One of my spats came off the other week (were you doing a test run?   s:? :? s:?  )

On the fronts there is a line of bonding stuff along the top edge and bolts underneath the bumper. I think the rears are just bonded on.

You can see the line of the bonding stuff in this pic that Les so kindly took
Pete

wotugonado

Arrghhh the one that got away  s:D :D s:D
so just undo bolts and lever away gently from away top edge ?

simers

the only way to get the bonding off is to cut it wit a very sharp blade...if the back ones are just bonded on you will probably break them takin them off if they held on with tigerseal...
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

Anonymous

If the car is the same colour, why not swap bumpers? Just an idea.

wotugonado

Yeah I did give the complete bumper swap idea some thought, but as they're the wrong colour it would probably be just as cost effective to buy new spats, is there no chemical that would help to soften the glue ?

Anonymous

Ive taken body kits off before. Its possible to recover the bits that have been glued on and reuse, but the bits they were glued to are pretty much goosed, particularly if Tigersealed.

If body taped you might be lucky. Heres one I stripped today, which had been taped. Took a couple of hours to get the tape off one panel.

wotugonado

What are the toyota spats made of ? they re very pricy for fibreglass so i presume they re plastic, or are toyota complete rob dogs......................

Anonymous

Quote from: "wotugonado"What are the toyota spats made of ? they re very pricy for fibreglass so i presume they re plastic, or are toyota complete rob dogs......................

Have you seen their prices? Bonkers!

simers

Quote from: "wotugonado"What are the toyota spats made of ? they re very pricy for fibreglass so i presume they re plastic, or are toyota complete rob dogs......................
well if they genuine toyota they are probably plastic

Anonymous

Yep plastic same stuff as the bumpers.

wotugonado

Good at least if theyre plastic, they might hold up a bit better to being removed   s:) :) s:)  
Even so they re still overpriced new, cheeky toyota rob dogs   s:D :D s:D

roger

Quote from: "wotugonado"Even so they re still overpriced new,

In your opinion, we've had this discussion before.... unless you are willing to make them available to Toyota owners worldwide with all the relevant approvals, paint types, warranties etc for less, then it is only an expression of your financial status, because presumably you don't want to pay what they want.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

wotugonado

Ive never had this conversation with anyone before  s:? :? s:?   It is only my opinion but around £600.00 pounds for front and rear very nice looking tiny bits of plastic is exessive, and is i suppose relevant to financial circumstances, im not on the breadline, but i would also like value for money. considering what else that could buy for the car, i believe they are expensive.

simers

Quote from: "wotugonado"Ive never had this conversation with anyone before  s:? :? s:?   It is only my opinion but around £600.00 pounds for front and rear very nice looking tiny bits of plastic is exessive, and is i suppose relevant to financial circumstances, I'm not on the breadline, but i would also like value for money. considering what else that could buy for the car, i believe they are expensive.

If i had a set of these i could get fibreglass copies made off my mate...the hyundai ones i posted in another thread are copies of genuine ones and there is absolutely no difference only they are firbreglass

wotugonado

Getting them in first place is the problem, unless your willing to buy new, 2nd hand they appear quite rare.

simers

Quote from: "wotugonado"Getting them in first place is the problem, unless your willing to buy new, 2nd hand they appear quite rare.
i no yea mate...i was gonna get TTE spats made up off a corolla to suit the MR-S...what would people think of them??

Tags: