Oil Light when turning

Started by Anonymous, July 31, 2012, 09:31

Anonymous

Morning Guys

My name is Sam, shame this has to be the first post but hey ho, life's a beach sometimes! I don't own the MR2 myself, my partner has recently purchased a 2001 yellow (of all colours!) MR2, with FSH, 45k on the clock. its a really nice fun little car, and we are really pleased with it.

However... She has called me this morning stating the oil warning light is flashing on when she turns corners, luckily she is at work and not stranded somewhere. She purchased it around 2 months ago, and I topped the oil up about a month ago, I've not noticed any smoking when I have driven it myself nor any oil stains on the drive so I'm hoping that negates the possibility of a leak. I know from a friend owning one of these many moons ago that they are partial to a litre of oil from time to time, im wondering if the level has got to the point where on turn in the oil is passing the level sensor and causing the warning light, or weather there is something more sinister here. She has had a look at the dipstick and says that is showing no signs of oil, but having read through half the forum it would appear the dipstick on these cars might as well be made of actual stick from a tree its that useful.

Any help would be appreciated, im going to have a poke around in a while once its cooled down, so any pointers would be great thanks

Sam

doogz

Hmm..

Kinda sounds like there's not much oil in there. It really is something you should be checking on a weekly basis, and it sounds like your problem.

Anonymous

If the oil light is flashing, don't drive it at all until its topped up. Whenever a member has had an oil light come on and stay on in the past the engine has been FUBAR.
Alas it sounds very much like the dreaded pre cats/oval bore syndrome. I will add a link for you in a minute.

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11393 l

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15853 l

Anonymous

Well that's slightly alarming... I do hope it isn't that

Wabbitkilla

Hope is something you need plenty of when an engine starts using lots of oil.
Indeed as M R 2 has stated, get the oil topped up before driving again, the oil light only comes on when there is a loss of oil PRESSURE. This means in corners the oil is swishing away from the pick up in the sump. It does not take long for the engine to be lunched when this happens so you need to keep a very regular eye on your oil level.

I recommend you top it up to max now and then see how many miles it takes for the oil stick to get to minimum. It's up to you, obvuiously, how long you run the car feeding it oil, but it's symptomatic of other problems and if you're using over a litre of oil in 500 miles then you need to be considering a replacement engine or a rebuild. Sadly it's all too common to have new members joining us when they have these problems, I feel for you and your partner.

If caught early enough a rebuild with a bore hone and new piton rings can fully revive an engine, however if it's also ingested precat material (likely) then it's time for a new engine.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Welcome Sammy, if you have the opportunity take it straight back to the garage you bought it from. Thats also the lowest mileage Ive heard of assuming it is oval bore. Might be worth checking the DVLA website to see if the MoT history supports it.

dcod

Unfortunately, many pre 2003/4 cars fail to make 50k due to an engine design fault. Like mine   s:( :( s:(  

As said, top up to full and monitor oil level at least every week. Work out the oil consumption and come back and report.

Many people join due to this event so don't feel bad. You have joined the right place to find out your options and get your car sorted.   s:D :D s:D
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

doogz

I'm new to MR2 ownership, so excuse my ignorance, but is the 1ZZ a dry or wet liner'd engine?

If the bores are oval shaped, i.e. knackered, surely a re-hone isn't going to sort it? And I can't imagine a rebore and new set of pistons being cheaper than finding a 2nd hand engine?

Cheers

Anonymous

Quote from: "dcod"Unfortunately, many pre 2003/4 cars fail to make 50k due to an engine design fault. Like mine   s:( :( s:(  

As said, top up to full and monitor oil level at least every week. Work out the oil consumption and come back and report.

Many people join due to this event so don't feel bad. You have joined the right place to find out your options and get your car sorted.   s:D :D s:D

Mine made 57k. When you say many, how many? Sounds shocking!  I know Toyota fixed some under warranty.

dcod

Quote from: "dick2ski"
Quote from: "dcod"Unfortunately, many pre 2003/4 cars fail to make 50k due to an engine design fault. Like mine   s:( :( s:(  

Mine made 57k. When you say many, how many? Sounds shocking!  I know Toyota fixed some under warranty.

57 isn't much over 50. I'm going by the number that have appeared on this site and have mentioned their mileage. I don't know the actual number, I was just going by my own observation.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

aaronjb

Quote from: "sammyTT"passing the level sensor

The MR2 doesn't have a level sensor - the light is connected only to an oil pressure switch which illuminates the light when the oil pressure falls below ~4.3psi; that's barely enough pressure to maintain an oil film at idle, let alone when driving. Continued use will most certainly result in excessive bearing wear, potentially a spun bearing and/or a completely grenaded engine.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Perhaps replacing "many" with "a few" would be more accurate.

dcod

Quote from: "M R 2"

How many is 'many'? How many is 'few'?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I think this is a pointless argument and I have no interrest on saying anymore on this.

Bernie

Also to be more accurate Pre facelift 2001 models  mine is 2003 currently 80k on the clock and no issues having done 44k in the 2 years I've owned it with no problems.

As said previously get mot records checked.to make sure it's not been clocked and go back to the seller

Good luck
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

AckersMR2

Quote from: "dcod"

How many is 'many'? How many is 'few'?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I think this is a pointless argument and I have no interrest on saying anymore on this.

I've got a piece of string in my pocket, how long is it  s:? :? s:?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

Anonymous

Saying many is scaremongering when there is simply no data to support it.

normanh

Dry liners in the 1ZZ they are actually cast into the block and each is only a few millimeteres in wall thickness which renders the totally unsuited for replacement , rebore you are limited to a plus 0.5mm maximum.

norman

doogz

Quote from: "normanh"Dry liners in the 1ZZ they are actually cast into the block and each is only a few millimeteres in wall thickness which renders the totally unsuited for replacement , rebore you are limited to a plus 0.5mm maximum.

norman

Cheers.

Anonymous

Quote from: "normanh"Dry liners in the 1ZZ they are actually cast into the block and each is only a few millimeteres in wall thickness which renders the totally unsuited for replacement , rebore you are limited to a plus 0.5mm maximum.

norman

Without checking my old block but I think the linner thicker than a couple of mm. My pistons and 3mm bigger than stock.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "M R 2"Saying many is scaremongering when there is simply no data to support it.

Very true which is why I suggested topping it up and seeing what the oil usage actually equates to.
Having re-read this I see it was recently bought, so I'd recommend checking how much oil it's actually using then take it back to the garage and make your complaint. Having the data to hand is always useful rather than just saying "it's using oil".
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

markiii

go read on Spyderchat, many is a pretty accurate statement
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

normanh

Just looked up liner thickness -approx 7.5mm

norman

Anonymous

Sorry about the link, mods, but might help a little.

*MOD* eBay link removed.
I don't think it has been proven that the engine is dead, nor should we encourage the OP to spend their cash without just cause. Please stay on topic

AmeR

I think until it has been determined that an engine replacement or major repair is required, there shouldn't be a need to try and spend the OP's cash unnecessarily.

Let's try and advise him best we can on the original topic rather than scaring people into thinking their engine is kaput.

Steve Green

One has to think that if the engine has been running at less than 4psi oil pressure with the only oil available being what's left in the bottom of the sump, there is likely to be some significant life shortening damage.

The OP may be lucky, and no immediate damage may have occured but none of us can state catagorically that no damage has been done that will not have significantly shortened the engines life, nor can we put a timescale on when the damage will become apparent. It's not just the main or big end bearing that have been starved of oil but every moving part in the engine.

Fitting an oil pressure gauge may give some indication of damage.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Tags: