BC Coilovers

Started by carlclarke, August 1, 2012, 18:04

Two's Company

I've just been to Apex Performance to get the springs changed for softer 4/6. A tour around the warehouse and a look over the skyline drift car they run. Great customer service.

carlclarke

Quote from: "Jaik"Carl, the only real way to see what you think is to go out in another member's car who is running the BCs. They are a lot stiffer than stock, but they worked well on my daily driver and only rarely felt "too stiff". In contrast, I'd say the stock suspension felt "too soft" far more often. There's no subtext when I say I wouldn't want to go stiffer than the 4/6, I think they're stiff, but about right for the road  s:) :) s:)

I got the prices from Toyota to replace a few nuts and the suspension plates just for the front top damper mounting - £230. So I reckon, based on other prices that I found, that to do a complete refresh of front and rear OEM parts is going to go to around £1200. Apex have been very responsive and helpful so I am going for BCs with 4/6 kg/mm with pillowball front and rubber rear plus a soft cushion to put on the driver's seat   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Thanks for everyone's input.

AckersMR2

Don't forget you'll have the extra cash you saved from going OEM to cushion your backside  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

carlclarke

Quote from: "AckersMR2"Don't forget you'll have the extra cash you saved from going OEM to cushion your backside  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

You are right! £400 is 80 five pound notes, 40 x £5 in each back pocket makes a nice cushion. 400 pounds coins could be a bit tough though  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "Two's Company"I've just been to Apex Performance to get the springs changed for softer 4/6. A tour around the warehouse and a look over the skyline drift car they run. Great customer service.

They're a brilliant bunch aren't they!   s:D :D s:D  
I just wish they did more stuff for our cars.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Two's Company

One thing they showed me is Hardcase suspension arms. Look similar to the che items and even the same colour.  Could be an option for more local items.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "Two's Company"One thing they showed me is Hardcase suspension arms. Look similar to the che items and even the same colour.  Could be an option for more local items.

If only they would publish what's available on their website   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Two's Company

Yes they mainly cater for nissan and subarus. Other than BC's they said main things they can get for MR2 is Ksport braked, EBC and Hardcase. Seems they could offer suspension parts in makes popular on skylines and scoobs.

Wabbitkilla

It's actually hardrace ... found them via Google and they look like someone else selling the Che kit with their own name on them...
 m http://www.hardrace.co.uk/productsf710. ... rClass3=87 m

I suppose as the part numbers are on the Hardrace website then Apex could get us a price.
I'll drop an email to Hardrace and see how their prices compare ... looks like they're UK based.

Two's Company

Stupid predictive text when on phone!

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"It's actually hardrace ... found them via Google and they look like someone else selling the Che kit with their own name on them...
 m http://www.hardrace.co.uk/productsf710. ... rClass3=87 m

I suppose as the part numbers are on the Hardrace website then Apex could get us a price.
I'll drop an email to Hardrace and see how their prices compare ... looks like they're UK based.

£136.78 inc vat per pair of arms according to the price list I've just received.

carlclarke

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"
Quote from: "Two's Company"I've just been to Apex Performance to get the springs changed for softer 4/6. A tour around the warehouse and a look over the skyline drift car they run. Great customer service.

They're a brilliant bunch aren't they!   s:D :D s:D  
I just wish they did more stuff for our cars.

I paid for them on Tuesday and they turned  up on Wednesday - I can't fault Apex for delivery or customer service. They chatted through the options and recommended the Pillowball fronts and Rubber rears for my more casual road use. Also some praise for Camskill, I ordered a set of front and rear drop links, explained that I needed them for the weekend, they called me today to explain that their supplier had sent the wrong front drop links and that they would get the right ones to me on Friday or dispatch for a Saturday delivery at their cost if there was any delay, that is good customer service from them too. (I know that I can get by with just the rears but I want to replace all of them while I have the wheels off and everything in pieces). Fingers crossed I should have it all done on the weekend.

Wabbitkilla

Just adding this as it will be useful to anyone searching BC Coilovers.

Front camber is adjustable using the top-mounts.
Rear camber is adjustable using the slotted hole for the hub top mounting bolt.
No need for fancy camber arms, crash bolts, or Ingalls quick cams.

steve b

Any more views on the BC kit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Two's Company

I have the inverted RMs and they are stiff but great with extra bracing and uprated anti roll bars. Virtually zero roll now and goes round corners as fast as your brain can keep up. As an everyday car the ride is a bit harder than I'd like but worth the compromise when you get to some decent roads.

Wabbitkilla

Still going strong with mine.
As above extra bracing, uprated arb's it's firm but handling is formidable.
Mine are BR series with pillow ball rears top mounts added.
Can't fault quality and after sales support is excellent   s:D :D s:D

steve b

How to they cope with bumps, dips, crests - ignoring poor road surfaces but undulating roads?  Do they feel like they have enough travel?

2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Two's Company

I have the softer 4/6 spring combination and they are great on undulating roads. The 5/7 set up that Wabbitkilka runs is more stiffly sprung. It's only town driving on badly surfaced roads where they are a PITA. Then again so is an s-line suspended Audi which has harder suspension that the BCs a lot of the time. On the M62 between Manchester and Liverpool the surface is very undulated and the audis I have been in crash and bang all over the place. The MR2 takes them fine in comparison.

I think it depends on tyre choice as well because I run Toyos so there is some give in the tyre sidewalls too.

It depends what you use your car for, as a daily driver with mainly city driving with speedbumps etc I would probably go with softer suspension. The standard shocks with Tein springs was pretty much a perfect compromise. I hated the BCs at first but they settle down after a few thousand miles.

steve b

Track days and the occasional commute if weathers too bad for motorbike, commute is countryside A & B roads that can be driven fast, hence wanting to make sure they can cope with undulations, bumps mid bend etc.  Car at present is great on these roads but rolls a bit on track.  Last owner put Kyb excelG? dampers on which still look like new (ride quality is great) and I think just the standard springs, they are super rusty and look like they need replacing now, dust boots are basically non-existent.  ARB's are also very rusty and due to the roll and some chaps I see at track days saying the best mod they ever did to their 2ZZ roadster was whiteline arbs I'm thinking do full refresh.  I have a ultra racing front brace already, no others as don't want to add weight if it can be avoided, have a T45 harness bar that possibly helps a bit.

Two's Company

The BCs would suit that driving. I have the Che ARBs too and virtually no roll now. You need an underbody brace with the BCs because they work the shell harder and there is too must flex without one. I have a corky MSMB and trd front strut. Feels like a much bigger more controlled car with that lot.

steve b

Just looked up the Corkey's brace, what was shipping like for that?  Like that its aluminium so not to heavy.

Two's Company

Not sure because i bought it used from here. I know they are very expensive for a new one. It combines the corky breast plate with the TTE style brace. One off Matt performance is the alternative which I believe keeps the standard bits under it.

steve b

Ordered the Matt Performance brace and front and rear Whiteline ARB's, fitted rear ARB today.  Was going to see how I felt about just that, got a trackday on 24th to test it out, if ok was going to leave it at that however just tonight sold my forged MX5 engine that's been sat in the garage so may go for some of the RM's  :-) :-) :-)

steve b

Just ordered BC BR type RH coilovers with 4kg/mm and 6kg/mm springs  Any suggestions as the a good starting point clicks wise and optimal ride height?  Isn't there a difference in pre face lift and facelift standard heights?  Pre facelift being lower?  I may start with pre facelift ride height as sure I read post facelift was only to aid pedestrian safety tests?  Any idea what that is?

Lots of questions  :-) :-) :-)

Two's Company

I'm interested to know how they work with the AD08 tyres.

Tags: