SMT Missing Gear & ABS Light

Started by crankshaft, August 4, 2012, 15:19

mrzwei

Those sorts of electrical errors are very often 'bad earth' related.
To eliminate that as a problem start from the battery and check as many earthing points that you can find. Also, use electrical contact spray.
It may not be the cause but at least you know something it isn't.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

crankshaft

Does anybody have an exploded view of the rear hub assembly showing the ABS stator (Crown wheen), abs sensor and how it is secured to the drive shaft ??

After removing the sensor from the hub, the crown wheel can be rotated independently of the wheel / input shaft and it looks like it has sheared off, although without stripping down the whole hub I can't be sure.

An exploded vew of the area would be a great help !

PeterC
2001 SMT - Pete

mikecobra427

I've looked through the service and repair manual I have (cheap knockoff from fleabay) and the toyota parts list and it appears the abs pick-up (crown) ring is not a service part as only the parts for the inner one are listed? Maybe someone else can confirm/correct this?

The ABS ring appears to be pressed onto the outer cv joint and the part in the manual about disasembly of the drive shaft says:
NOTICE: Do not disassemble the outboard joint.   s:( :( s:(  

Mike

crankshaft

Mike thanks, thats very helpful, can you confirm the left outer drive shart part number with the abs stator ?

I was hoping that this would be a part that was held in place by a location lug and a circlip that could be replaced, but it looks like it the outer left driveshaft which we need, and we only have 2 days to fix it, so finger crossed.
2001 SMT - Pete

mikecobra427

Hi, this is the parts list so you can look for yourself.  m http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread ... Parts-List m  - The same thing is in the Reference section on this site but I am unable to view it all so posted up the Yank version in case you have issues as well.

They look quite expensive new so try CTP in the affiliates if you are going for new as he could get it cheaper for you. Alternatively you could try D!ck2ski or another breaker? He often has this sort of part lying around for a lot less but is unable to trade on the forum any more. Try contacting him via PM* or he often has parts for sale on a well known auction site under the same name and his contact information is there.

*Note to MODS: sorry if this is not allowed but think this may be a cheaper way to sort out a fellow member in distress.

Mike

crankshaft

Mike, brilliant, thanks so much

PeterC
2001 SMT - Pete

crankshaft

Does anyone happen to know what size the drive shaft locknut is ?? - it seems we will need to buy a long socket to fit over the shaft ??

I read elsewhere that it is a 30mm socket, but having just tried a 30mm deep socket it does not fit, but that is probably because it only has 8 flats for a standard bolt head, instead of the socket with notches rather than flats ??
2001 SMT - Pete

crankshaft

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0627470753 m

This appears to be the right hand shaft, not the left hand - can anyone confirm that for me ??

Thanks
2001 SMT - Pete

Tags: