2002 mr2 PROBLEM

Started by Anonymous, August 13, 2012, 18:35

Anonymous

I have a 2002 roadster Auto sm. It seems to be stuck in gear1. if i change the gear it still says Gear 1.. so the car doesn't start or roll... where do I start what could be the problem....also it seems to run the battery dead? Any ideas ?   s:? :? s:?

mrzwei

Is the gearbox light (the exlamation mark inside of a gear wheel ) on the dash staying on after the engine starts? (sorry you said it doesn't start but is the light on)?

Also, you need to put your foot on the brake to start it but I assume you know that.

Also again   s:D :D s:D   the flat battery could be causing all sorts of problems, sort that out first.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

Thanks for you're reply.... uumm no its not a light on the dash board its just where it tells me what gear I am in it won't move from S1 so it does not start at all. Yer i know about the brake thankss.. I bought a new battery today but it doesn't seem to change anything!

mrzwei

So just to clarify, If you turn the ignition on and put your foot on the brake it won't physically shift into neutral using the stick?

Assuming it won't what were the circumstances leading up to the problem? Was it driving OK before?

Sorry to repeat, but did the gearbox light come on on the dash?
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

Sorry i havnt explained this very well have I..... So basically i left the car at my house running fine and didn't use it for a couple of months then came back to it and it wouldn't start.... The gear stick moves and i can move it into neutral, however on the dashboard it says s1 as if it is still in gear 1.... although the stick is in neutral it isn't so when i turn the ignition it does nothing... thanks for your help

mikecobra427

You need to check to see if the car is actually in neutral or in gear by making sure the hole in the selector rod is pointing straight up and down (Neutral). If is is not you can manualy put the car into neutral by putting a screwdriver or equivalent through the hole and turning it so it is in the correct position. You may have to rock the car back and forth as you do this to get it to come out of gear or to free the clutch which can stick if its been left in gear for a long time.  

If the car has been stood a while it is very important the battery is fully charged or preferably replaced because the smt pump pulls a lot of amps on first start up.

Good luck

EDIT: I've just thought that you might not know what the selector rod is?

You will find it under the air intake pipe sticking out of the side of the gearbox pointing towards the back bumper. You will see a rod with a hole in the end about 1.5-2cm dia. sticking out about an inch with a set of rubber bellows just behind. If the car is stuck in 1st the hole in the end will be pointing slighlty towards the near side  (passenger) of the car (make sure the stick is in the neutral position), put your screwdriver through the hole and turn the rod gently until it so it is straight up and down. Again you may need to rock the car back and forth to free the gears). When it gets to the centre it will go in a little. This is the gearbox in neutral.

Mike

Tags: