T400X Track Car Project underway...

Started by MattPerformance, August 15, 2012, 20:48

Goeman

I'm sure I've paid for a good chunk of this car.
Russell

Lippy

Loving the flames in the video! just add sausages on a rather long skewer and you have a portable BBQ!  s:) :) s:)

Looks like you have a shift light wired up in the pillar gauges, Ive wired up mine but cannot seem to find the correct wire to get the rpm signal to connect to mine to get it to flash the lights... any one have any ideas?

Also where do people source the gearstick surround? I need one of those in my life!

Epic build Matt, id be well chuffed if that were mine!
Ex SP240 Owner, looking for another boosted '2

MattPerformance

Quote from: "Goeman"I'm sure I've paid for a good chunk of this car.

Not as big a chunk as Jason  s;) ;) s;)

BTW Steve, Ryan won't map Link ECUs any more.  He feels it's a conflict with his Syvecs involvement so, anything "motorsport standalone ECU-wise", it's Syvecs only if you want Ryan to map it.

That Syvecs/ Ryan set-up combination has saved the engine twice already, not to mention the fact that we have kicked the sh!t out of the engine on track and it is still very happy indeed with the map that Ryan put in it.

steve b

Quote from: "MattPerformance"
Quote from: "Goeman"I'm sure I've paid for a good chunk of this car.

Not as big a chunk as Jason  s;) ;) s;)

BTW Steve, Ryan won't map Link ECUs any more.  He feels it's a conflict with his Syvecs involvement so, anything "motorsport standalone ECU-wise", it's Syvecs only if you want Ryan to map it.

That Syvecs/ Ryan set-up combination has saved the engine twice already, not to mention the fact that we have kicked the sh!t out of the engine on track and it is still very happy indeed with the map that Ryan put in it.

Glad to hear you are pleased with Ryan's work.  I would recommend no one else.  Shame to hear 2 Bar Tuning is effectively over then if he's just doing the Syvecs work.  I did the initial motec training with Ryan before he setup 2 Bar and we talked about working together, I wasn't brave enough to leave my stable and quite good job though & then gave up with ideas of tuning business altogether.  I still have my Knockblock and wide band in a case under the bed should I ever get a car that needs constant fettling due to its evolution again, doesn't seem likely though  :-) :-) :-)  Love the MR2 as it is and I don't even have datalogit to play with it myself - not that I need to as Ryan did such a good job.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

MattPerformance

Quote from: "steve b"Shame to hear 2 Bar Tuning is effectively over then...

He's still doing mapping etc on piggy-back stuff though.

steve b

Quote from: "MattPerformance"
Quote from: "steve b"Shame to hear 2 Bar Tuning is effectively over then...

He's still doing mapping etc on piggy-back stuff though.

Really?  He use to say no way to piggies as saw them as a bodge.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

loadswine

Perhaps he will continue to support things like the Apexi PFC and AEM units, as they don't directly compete in the marketplace with the Syvecs ecu.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

MattPerformance

I think that's about the sum of it Nigel.

I must admit, I was very pleased with Richard's (Redline Tuning) work as his results were always safe and reliable.  Ryan's work is extremely good and he was the obvious choice as we'd decided to go with the Syvecs ECU.

steve b

Quote from: "MattPerformance"Well. there has been a lot going on with said car but not so much to take photos of, yet...

I did however get the half cage in yesterday/ today.  The installation was not at all straightforward (according to Custom Cages, they have not done enough of these kits to have ironed out the "fit").  It does fit, but it required a huge amount of patience and a lot of time modifying the sections.  But the end result is VERY good (I'm not talking about my welding!!) and it is extremely strong.  I'll get some better photos on Monday of it painted and all the trim/ carpets back in but here's how it looked moments after the cutting/ grinding/ welding marathon:

Much more to follow in the coming weeks...

Matt, I have just ordered the CL2 kit which is basically what you have shown in this pic, they are a bit of a pita as they refused to supply the harness bar as that's only part of the full cage kits   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   as a result I have had to order just a straight length to make fit myself.  Have you any more pics of the rear section and where your harness bar goes so I have a better idea of how much grinding I have to do & general fitting?

Cheers

Steve

steve b

Well only 36 working days since ordering :rolleyes: I finally received my CL2 custom cage kit,.. Matt  I see what you mean lots of work to fit it, only bits cut to fit together are the rear supports to the mainhoop and that's it, 2 straight lengths of pipe for the diagonal & harness bar, that's pretty pathetic for a "kit", not even the feet of the main hoop are cut.  Without a plasma cutter its going to a bitch of a job grinding and cutting  s:( :( s:(

MattPerformance

I feel your pain Steve!!

dj2k21

Matt how are you finding the gearbox?  Is it holding up well with just the 3rd and 4th jubu gears?  I'm guessing it's 6 speed too as they only offer the kit for the 6 speed right?
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

MattPerformance

Quote from: "dj2k21"Matt how are you finding the gearbox?  Is it holding up well with just the 3rd and 4th jubu gears?  I'm guessing it's 6 speed too as they only offer the kit for the 6 speed right?

The kit is applicable to the five speed too (had it in the turbo'd 1zz Elise with 5 spd.

Gearbox has held up well so far, done about 6k with 400bhp. Gear oil temps max out at 120C so far. Managed to pull the rear mount out of the gearbox (that was a while ago so you have already seen that) but reinforced it and all is well since.

dj2k21

That's great to know that mat. Bit of food for thought really as I expected especially with track use for it to have died ages ago lol
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

steve b

36 working days and they sent the wrong bloody main hoop out, that is assuming their work isn't that shoddy that supplying a main hoop 15cm to narrow for the car is normal  s:-( :-( s:-( . Means I will miss my LOT track day on 22nd at CC, hope they will defer it for me  s:-( :-( s:-(

george_m

Quote from: "steve b"36 working days and they sent the wrong bloody main hoop out, that is assuming their work isn't that shoddy that supplying a main hoop 15cm to narrow for the car is normal  s:-( :-( s:-( . Means I will miss my LOT track day on 22nd at CC, hope they will defer it for me  s:-( :-( s:-(

I ordered the same rear cage from Custom Cages and was told 15 working days which is next Tuesday, I hope they don't let me down also as I have a CC trackday booked also Steve

George

steve b

Best of luck, they told me 15 days ended up 36, just had a pm from Matt saying his didn't fit either.  Honestly I'd cancel the order if I were you.

george_m

Quote from: "MattPerformance"Well. there has been a lot going on with said car but not so much to take photos of, yet...

I did however get the half cage in yesterday/ today.  The installation was not at all straightforward (according to Custom Cages, they have not done enough of these kits to have ironed out the "fit").  It does fit, but it required a huge amount of patience and a lot of time modifying the sections.  But the end result is VERY good (I'm not talking about my welding!!) and it is extremely strong.  I'll get some better photos on Monday of it painted and all the trim/ carpets back in but here's how it looked moments after the cutting/ grinding/ welding marathon:

Much more to follow in the coming weeks...
Hi Mat
Good to meet you the wheels are great but the tyre guy managed to scratch one of them fitting my tyres doh !

I got my custom cage rear cage bits after 20 days, but the main hoop is 3 1/2" too narrow, what did you do to over come this or was yours ok. I tried with a jack to open it up which it did but as its cds steel it just sprang back.  Also how did you get over the hard top side mounts. I have emailed them about this but they have not replied

George

steve b

Matt wedged timber through it to spread it then welded one side in place then had a big bloke hang off the bar to flex it in to place and welded up the otherside.  I'd advise you do as I have done phone them up and give them  sshit shit sshit , they sent a courier next day to collect the duff fitting one and said they'd get a new one that fits out ASAP.

Tags: