T400X Track Car Project underway...

Started by MattPerformance, August 15, 2012, 20:48

simers

Matt and Jason, ye guys are nuts... My mate is drivin a mk2 mr2 running 330 brake and it tries to kill you so I can only imagine what a mk3 will be like wit 400 in it... Best of luck wit the build guys
Mr2 mk3 1.8vvti 01,93 mirage 1.5,94 pulsar 1.3, 00 306 2.0 hdi

If its not broke, don\'t fix it!!!!
The only way forward is sideways!!!! ;)

MattPerformance

Been busy sourcing parts and have updated the spec.  Flat out for the next few days then away for a week after which I will make a concerted effort to get some decent pics together.

andydicko140

Can't wait to see this monster!
[size=85]2003 8M6 Blue Roadster
Cobra Sport Quad Exhaust, Stainless Decat Manifold (Heatwrapped), Denso Iridium Plugs, Fuchs Pro S 5w40 Oil, Vent Mounted K&N 57i Induction Kit, Ultra Racing Front & Rear Upper Strut Bracing, Ultra Racing Front & Rear Lower Braces, MattPerformance TTE Brace, CHE ARB\'s, HEL Braided Lines, Tein S Tech Springs... More to come![/size]

Anonymous

Still waiting on more info for the flat bottom plates

MattPerformance

Quote from: "rbuckingham"Still waiting on more info for the flat bottom plates

Naturally a picture will paint a thousand words but the basic idea is that the floor pan will be reinforced with a "load" of 35x15 box section steel. Rivnuts will then be positioned in the box section to which the aluminium sheet will be screwed.
Additional steel sections will be extended forwards for the splitter to attach to.
It's all clear in my head but I expect the execution to be more challenging in reality!!
It's going to be a busy couple of days with the welder and the angle grinder!!
I'll get some snaps once it's done, besides which, only once I've done the welding can I actually do the templates for the ally sheet so it'll be a while after before I can get that bolted on.

Goeman

That reminds me; I'll scan and send you those Track Driver magazine articles about aero I told you about. They're very good at explaining the practical application of flat floors, splitters, diffusers, wings and ducting.
Russell

MattPerformance

Well. there has been a lot going on with said car but not so much to take photos of, yet...

I did however get the half cage in yesterday/ today.  The installation was not at all straightforward (according to Custom Cages, they have not done enough of these kits to have ironed out the "fit").  It does fit, but it required a huge amount of patience and a lot of time modifying the sections.  But the end result is VERY good (I'm not talking about my welding!!) and it is extremely strong.  I'll get some better photos on Monday of it painted and all the trim/ carpets back in but here's how it looked moments after the cutting/ grinding/ welding marathon:

Much more to follow in the coming weeks...

steve b

Looks a good cage, ideal for a track day car which doesn't need a soft top.  

Custom cages come just as pipes with the ends cut to slot in place, you then have to weld ALL the sections?
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

MattPerformance

Not ALL the ends were cut to fit which was the most disappointing thing.  Absolutely everything needed to be welded.
It's very robust though and pretty cheap at £320

simers

You'd make your own cage a lot cheaper but that looks tidy mate...

MattPerformance

You'd be hard pressed to make anything this strong yourself without the use of industrial size RSJs!!
Hoping to get the chassis stiffening/ flat floor prep finished on Mon then off for MOt before I can start working on set-up and seeing what different all of this extra steel has made!

MisterK

Looking good Matt.  Is the plan to fit the hardtop over the cage or won't it fit now?  Let's hope it passes the MOT OK.
Mark
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

PaullyP2010

Loving the progress Matt - good luck with MOT, and I can't wait to see the end result!  s8) 8) s8)  

Paul
2003 Sable Grey
Built 2ZZ Turbo with lots of other goodies.........

lars_mrs

trackcar mk3 with that spec must be awsome, looking forward to see the development on the car over this summer  s:) :) s:)  

one thing why this: TRD front ARB no rear ARB.... this is new to me  s:?: :?: s:?:  
and what kglbs is your springs?
2000 toyota mr-s turbo trackday spec

MattPerformance

So far (although this may change) we have found that a more compliant (softer) back end works better for gaining traction out of the corners.  This is especially valid in the wet but we in the dry we can stiffen the dampers to reduce the roll to our satisfaction.  It is of course in development so this might change!!
The suspension is under review so I can't comment on the spring rates... yet!

ninjinski

Matt looking very good - keep me posted if you ever get to a point where you are offering a fit of that half cage  s;) ;) s;)
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

MattPerformance

Hell will be well and truly frozen over James before I try to tackle fitting another one of those half cages!!  If however CC finished the job (and I don't mean that as a derogatory remark, but it is a rather unfinished in its current guise) then that would be a different proposition.

ninjinski

Fair enough! Sounds like it was a PIG to fit mate - Looked very good though nice work!!
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

Jubal

Quote from: "MattPerformance"So far (although this may change) we have found that a more compliant (softer) back end works better for gaining traction out of the corners.  This is especially valid in the wet but we in the dry we can stiffen the dampers to reduce the roll to our satisfaction.  It is of course in development so this might change!!
The suspension is under review so I can't comment on the spring rates... yet!

l viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40234&p=476201#p476196 l

Same thing here. Mike was faster without the ARB than I was with one.

MattPerformance

Got the front bumper back from having the brake duct scoops fitted - great job by a bloke who calls himself Mad Karl - thankfully I just paid the asking price so didn't get to find out why he's call that!!

Just got to work out how best to mount the number plate.  I've got some lime green touches to put on too.

Here's a peek of the side scoops with the meshed TTE inserts behind (very extravagent!!) (I've rotated the photo so it's the right way up but for some reason it flips it back on here!)

The new exhaust is on and the car's being mapped right now, so hope that that all goes to plan!  Will post up some pics of the dyno result and the new exhaust as soon as it's back.  Still plenty to do before it's fully (ish) ready for the end of the month.

loadswine

Liking that bumper, very cool.   s8) 8) s8)  
Pete for the exhaust? Looking forward to seeing the dyno sheet.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

s12vea

Be good to see the finished article! Plus it's gonna be a scary fast roadster......  s8) 8) s8)
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

MattPerformance

I can confirm Steve, it is scary fast...
Initial dyno work done and whilst there are some boost control (stability) issues to the resolve (so I'm not publishing the plot for the time being) I've very pleased with the results.  So here goes...
We're running a very conservative 22psi of boost and getting 390bhp and 365ftlb, err, at the wheels!!  When we switch to the more advanced ECU we can go a few PSI higher (and 10psi on top of that with an "overboost" switch) the performance will be frankly ridiculous.  So, as it stands we've got roughly 450bhp and 435ftlb at the flywheel.  Even on dry roads I'm feeling decidedly edging about trying out the new set-up at full bore.   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

When we decided on "T400X" we always knew that the X was the "Xtra" from the overboost, but didn't imagine the 400bhp would be at the wheels!

Jason and I have some work to do now to get all the gauges in so we can keep a close eye on everything.  Then I can work through whatever this issue is with the boost control...

The brakes will be going on soon, just waiting on some parts.  Big, no, massive "thank you" to Nath for his help machining the caliper adapter brackets.  So much to do, so little time   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

simers

When's release date matt???

MattPerformance

Going to Spa for 31st March/ 1st April so hoping to have it 99% complete by then.  Should be having a bit of a shake down session at Abingdon airfield on 22 March if everything goes to plan.

Tags: