Wiring Help Needed For Gauges Please

Started by p3t3, August 18, 2012, 18:15

p3t3

ok so i got my gauges today so im going to get them all wired up in this next week. Now i can swing on the spanners all day long but when it comes to wiring im useless! been colour blind doesn't help things ether   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Few questions...

1. All 3 gauges have got the same 4 colour wires coming out of them Green (signal), Blacl (- earth) , Yellow (+ ignition switch), Red (also + ignition switch).... Now is there any problem connecting the 3 Black wires together and just routing one wire to the earth? same with the Yellow and Red going to the Live? Why route 9 wires if you can just route 3??

2. The red and yellow wires. Am i correct in thinking one is a constant live (ignition?) ant the other is a switched live (headlights?) which is which?

3. what/where shall i connect the Earth, Live to? Cig lighter? Headlight?

Ta for any help  :-) :-) :-)

Opinions good or bad in here please:
 l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39739 l
Any landing you walk away from is a good one!

p3t3

wiring instructions i got with

trevsmr2

Quote from: "p3t3"ok so i got my gauges today so I'm going to get them all wired up in this next week. Now i can swing on the spanners all day long but when it comes to wiring I'm useless! been colour blind doesn't help things ether   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Few questions...

1. All 3 gauges have got the same 4 colour wires coming out of them Green (signal), Blacl (- earth) , Yellow (+ ignition switch), Red (also + ignition switch).... Now is there any problem connecting the 3 Black wires together and just routing one wire to the earth? same with the Yellow and Red going to the Live? Why route 9 wires if you can just route 3??

2. The red and yellow wires. Am i correct in thinking one is a constant live (ignition?) ant the other is a switched live (headlights?) which is which?

3. what/where shall i connect the Earth, Live to? Cig lighter? Headlight?

Ta for any help  :-) :-) :-)

Opinions good or bad in here please:
 l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39739 l

Not sure about your wires ,but on a stereo, the yellow is permanent live, and red switched live

cigarette lighter would have them on when the ignition is on ,light circuit would have them on when your lights are on
again not sure if the live is needed to power the gauges ,or just light them up ? yellow might be for the illumination, red for power ?

Sounds easy doesn't it   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Hold one black wire from a gauge on the negative and try yellow on the live and visa versa on using black with red. One power will light it up the other will move the needle.

p3t3

Cheers,

Ok so i nearly exhausted all my electrical knowledge today and  ive found that the yellow is for the lights and the red is for the constant live, ive got the pod all wired up now ready for wiring in to the car, even had the vac gauge working on the kitchen table   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Now... is there any problem with wiring the constant in to the cig lighter? i dont want to have the gauges on then try charging my phone with the lighter and see smoke   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:     s:? :? s:?   or would anyone recomend a better place to splice in to??

Also... where do i find a wire to splice in to for the lights? same applies, am i going to see smoke when i turn the gauges/lights on   s:? :? s:?  

On a plus note i managed to get the batteries in the tv remote the rite way round this evening   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  (this just about wasted all my left over electrical knowledge   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

pick a colour, any colour   s:D :D s:D  

roger

I can't recall which one, and can't look up since I'm on holiday, but my constant live comes from the equivalent to the radio, and I have sliced earths together!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Wabbitkilla

Cigar lighter should be fine for moth battery and eartg, it's designed for the current draw of the lighter so can easily cope with the gauges and a charger or two.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

p3t3

cheers.
I got this wired up to the cig lighter no prob. I put a 5amp inline fuse in too for price of mined. maybe over kill though but as im not too clued up with this sort of thing I thought it wouldn't harm anything.

just in the process of routing the sender wires to the engine now

Tags: