Vandalized soft top

Started by fstsven, May 17, 2004, 18:34

fstsven

Yesterday afternoon, great weather, I go outside to take the '2 for a spin, I discover that some f***ing a**h*le has very carefully put a burning cigarette at the exact middle point of my roof!    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Result: the soft top material has melted, bulged and cracked.  So now I have a small hole in the outer layer of the hood!  REALLY p*sses you off, I can tell you that!!   s:x :x s:x  

Has anyone any experience with this?
Will I get water ingress, and how bad could it be?
Would there be some kind of repair possible?

PLEASE don't tell me I have to change the soft top...    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Any answers will be greatly appreciated!

PS: If I only knew the sc*mb*g who did this...  I'd be in jail by now!    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:     s:x :x s:x      s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

fstsven

PS2: Sorry for the rant, but my sense of humour has left the building now...    s:( :( s:(
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
3.ORACING breastplate
25 kgs extra lightness

Anonymous

don't worry about that mate, I'm afraid I cant help with the roof repair knowledge, but can say I share your sympathy, not sure how I'd react upon finding this happened, but am quite sure it would be rather ugly.
Sorry mate

Anonymous

Jealous mother f*ckers.  Its always been a bit of an urban myth about damage to softops, but some w*nkers are out there.

I wonder if these people get home and think about the distress and upset it causes, not to mentioned financial implications

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"I wonder if these people get home and think about the distress and upset it causes

Of course not: they're far too busy having sex with their mothers.

Anonymous

Harsh but true

Anonymous

I believe you can get repairs done, not sure by who, MR2blue may be able to help I'm sure he has knowledge of someone who can repair your hood.

Oh, sorry it happened in the first place these kind of scumbags want the balls snipping or if a female snip the clit off very very slowly.

You see I'm not prejudice.

Anonymous

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Just realised where your at. Still I'm sure you have someone in Belgium who can repair your hood, good luck.

heathstimpson

Sorry to hear that news; I just can't understand the mentality of some idiots. I'm sure that there must be a company that can do repairs due to the cost of a full replacement, and the demand they would get because of this.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tem

Quote from: "fstsven"Will I get water ingress, and how bad could it be?
Would there be some kind of repair possible?

If you have a hole in the outer layer, water will get in. Do a quick repair with black duct tape to keep the water out. I have no idea about a real repair though...  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Just had a look on the net and there is a company based in Southampton. Now I know your in Belgium but it might be worth a phonecall/email to these people and they could point you in the direction of one local to you...

m http://home.freeuk.net/caradan/index.htm m

Really sorry to hear what's happened... I dread to think what would happen if someone defaces Sean's car...   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "AnnMarie"Just had a look on the net and there is a company based in Southampton. Now I know your in Belgium but it might be worth a phonecall/email to these people and they could point you in the direction of one local to you...

m http://home.freeuk.net/caradan/index.htm m

Really sorry to hear what's happened... I dread to think what would happen if someone defaces Sean's car...   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
What they do on the MX's hood looks to be alright. As ours are black it should not show as much  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

fstsven

Thanx for the sympathy guys, makes me feel a little bit better...    s:) :) s:)  

Contacted a local Toyota dealer today and they said the small hole wouldn't be a serious problem (aesthetics apart) since, according to them, it is the second, rubber layer of the hood that is waterproof, not the outer layer...  Do they for once know what they're talking about, or not, as usual?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    Any ideas?

They also said a repair wasn't possible, and should I decide to replace it, they weren't going to do it themselves since they have no experience whatsoever in that area  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:?: :?: s:?:     Typical!    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

s:? :? s:?     s:? :? s:?
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
3.ORACING breastplate
25 kgs extra lightness

Tem

Quote from: "fstsven"Do they for once know what they're talking about, or not, as usual?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    Any ideas?

I guess you should pour some water to it and see what happens  s:? :? s:?

SteveJ

The outer layer is sealed (mainly to prevent it getting dirty) and stops most of the water, but they are correct that the inner rubber layer stops the water getting right through (the hood material is called DoubleDuck)

kanujunkie

really sorry to hear about what happened mate, there really are some bas***ds out there  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  , you can always try this company.

http://www.autohoods.co.uk
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "SteveJ"The outer layer is sealed (mainly to prevent it getting dirty) and stops most of the water, but they are correct that the inner rubber layer stops the water getting right through (the hood material is called DoubleDuck)

Makes me wonder where the water goes, once it gets in there?  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Makes me wonder where the water goes, once it gets in there?  s:? :? s:?

Into the luggage bins ?

fstsven

I'm kinda worried too where it'd go...   s:? :? s:?  
It could dry out on its own, I guess...  or it could be wedged between the two outer layers and keep the whole top permanently wet     s:( :( s:(  

Anyway, still trying to find a company that can do a repair, and, in the meanwhile, hoping for the best...   **fingers crossed**
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
3.ORACING breastplate
25 kgs extra lightness

Tem

Quote from: "fstsven"Anyway, still trying to find a company that can do a repair, and, in the meanwhile, hoping for the best...   **fingers crossed**

Why don't you uncross your fingers and just put black duct tape (or similar) on it...it's not too visible, it works and gives you time to find a company to do the job properly  s8) 8) s8)

spyderman

ok, here is a good solution i did to my vandalised soft top i had.

just go and visit a place where they replace the windshields. they use a special black glue(silicone). use that silicone to cover the hole. it works perfectly, and its water and heat resistant. i guarantee you that it works.
As you set out for Ithaka
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery. Cyclops,
angry Poseidon - don\'t be afraid of them.you\'ll never find things like that one on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high

-SOT-

fstsven

Okay, duct tape in place!    s8) 8) s8)  

Next step, calling a few places to try out Spyderman's solution    s:D :D s:D  

Ahh, the joys of a good owner's forum    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Thanx for the support all you guys.  Cheers
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
3.ORACING breastplate
25 kgs extra lightness

Anonymous

Quote from: "spyderman"ok, here is a good solution i did to my vandalised soft top i had.

just go and visit a place where they replace the windshields. they use a special black glue(silicone). use that silicone to cover the hole. it works perfectly, and its water and heat resistant. i guarantee you that it works.

On my old '2 I had some cracks in the soft-top where it folds. Used the black silicone to fill these in (from the local DIY shop). It lasts well, and is elastic enough to cope with daily folding etc...

Before you visit a windshield replacement centre - you may want to try fixing it yourself. As the silicone is drying, rub/pad it gently with a towel or similar cloth to set the 'stippled effect'.  

Hope this helps.

M

SteveJ

I've been trying to remember what my father and I used for sealing around the screen on our kit-car (along with sealing all sorts of other stuff) and it finally came to me at about 02:00 this morning - there are 2 manufacturers - Sikaflex and TigerSeal - that produce a caulking/sealant compound that is positively evil-sticky but once cured (approx 24 hours) forms an extremely flexible waterproof seal.

This stuff would be absolutely ideal for repairing small holes in our hoods as once cured it takes on a similar matt black finish, and given a little artistic flair it should be possible to get the course-woven cotton look as well.

HTH

PS. They are NOT silicone based - silicone based sealants are prone to breaking down under UV light and should be avoided for obvious reasons  s;) ;) s;)

fstsven

Hmm, Sikaflex...   That rings a bell... somewhere...     s:) :) s:)  
I think I heard of this before ( in a different context however).

I'll see if I can get hold of that.
Thanx!
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
3.ORACING breastplate
25 kgs extra lightness

Tags: