Fitting standard air box

Started by adscan, August 25, 2012, 10:07

adscan

I have a secondhand standard air box that I want to install. My car came with a cone type fitted so I am after some advice.

There is a hole for a pipe on the left of the air box I assume for the air feed. I don't have the pipe to connect this though. All I have is a pipe running the length of the rear wing that stops short before the engine bay. What pipe do I need to connect up to the air box?

FGrob

Quote from: "adscan"I have a secondhand standard air box that I want to install. My car came with a cone type fitted so I am after some advice.

There is a hole for a pipe on the left of the air box I assume for the air feed. I don't have the pipe to connect this though. All I have is a pipe running the length of the rear wing that stops short before the engine bay. What pipe do I need to connect up to the air box?
You need a Markiii pipe or you can manufacturer your own pipe from flex tubing, the Markiii pipe will give you a better air flow as the original pipe as a reducer in it;

The Markiii pipe looks like this:

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

trevsmr2

Quote from: "adscan"I have a secondhand standard air box that I want to install. My car came with a cone type fitted so I am after some advice.

This might help ,last picture, i guess you are missing the smaller pipe)

m http://driftopia.com/blog/2008/02/06/mr ... heel-well/ m

adscan

yes that is the pipe i need...can i use any induction hose?
what is the size diameter i will need..any ideas?

FGrob

Quote from: "adscan"yes that is the pipe i need...can i use any induction hose?
what is the size diameter i will need..any ideas?
It's about 70mm I/D, yes you can us induction hose but are you looking to sell the car on or keep it, if you are keeping it then get yourself a Markiii pipe, also don't remove the overwing pipe that will just give you loads of induction heat from the expansion bottle an exhaust, generally it's a poor area to pull air from otherwise.

I do have an original somewhere, you can have that for a small donation to the club.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

adscan

If you have an original that would be great!

I am keeping the car but would rather use the correct pipe than a piece if universal hose.  The pipe from the wing vent that travels to the engine bay is in place. I am missing the final pipe that connects to the lower left part of the air box.

pm me to arrange payment etc.

Many thanks

FGrob

Quote from: "adscan"If you have an original that would be great!

I am keeping the car but would rather use the correct pipe than a piece if universal hose.  The pipe from the wing vent that travels to the engine bay is in place. I am missing the final pipe that connects to the lower left part of the air box.

pm me to arrange payment etc.

Many thanks
OK - just give me a day or so to dig it out and I'll post it to you, can you PM me your address.

Once sorted if you want to make a donation (value is up to you) to the club you can using paypal, following the info in this link  l viewtopic.php?f=65&t=21393 l

Rob

Tags: