Random Tyre Discussions

Started by Anonymous, November 20, 2009, 00:32

Wabbitkilla

I have heard good things about the Rainsports too, but again it is subjective.

If you try something new then you will be expanding the options for everyone, which is a good thing. If you find they're carp then you've done a good thing ... Err.... For the rest of us..  s;) ;) s;)

No one said trying new things was without risks.

sent from a planet somewhere nearby
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

chris3boro

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"I have heard good things about the Rainsports too, but again it is subjective.

If you try something new then you will be expanding the options for everyone, which is a good thing. If you find they're carp then you've done a good thing ... Err.... For the rest of us..  s;) ;) s;)

Haha well this is it,it'd be like a service to mr2roc. I have looked at the best prices for the 3 options,incl delivery they are:

Toyos   £216
Rainsport 2's   £244
Sportrac 3's   £257

Mike_V

Quote from: "chris3boro"Hmm after some searching the general thoughts FOR AN MR2 seem to be very mixed at best for the vreds and uniroyals. Its annoying that this is such a subjective topic as it means you dont know if youll be happy until youve been using them for months! My ideal tyre would be Vredestein Sessanta, but not available in the right sizes  s:( :( s:(

I have the Sessanta's on my car and i also had them on my M3, they're a terrific tyre in the wet and dry but i had to get 71/2" wheels to get the right sizes.
Mike
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

chris3boro

Quote from: "Mike_V"
Quote from: "chris3boro"Hmm after some searching the general thoughts FOR AN MR2 seem to be very mixed at best for the vreds and uniroyals. Its annoying that this is such a subjective topic as it means you dont know if youll be happy until youve been using them for months! My ideal tyre would be Vredestein Sessanta, but not available in the right sizes  s:( :( s:(

I have the Sessanta's on my car and i also had them on my M3, they're a terrific tyre in the wet and dry but i had to get 71/2" wheels to get the right sizes.
Mike

Not heard a poor review on them yet,wish they did my size!

Mike_V

Neither have i and in my opinion they are one of the best tyres on the market, without doubt!!
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

carolineasb

Just a quick note, had e-mail from Hot UK deals saying that 195/50/15 Toyo T1R Proxes are £29.89 + £2.99 P&P from CamSkill Performance.  Haven't had time to check other sizes but thought maybe someone might even need this size for another car.
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Anonymous

Quote from: "chris3boro"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"I have heard good things about the Rainsports too, but again it is subjective.

Haha well this is it,it'd be like a service to mr2roc. I have looked at the best prices for the 3 options,incl delivery they are:

Toyos   £216
Rainsport 2's   £244
Sportrac 3's   £257

Our MR2 is getting close to needing new tyres, hence considering looking into Toyo's instead of the RE040's. Do you mind revealing where you got your prices from?

On a general note I have noticed that some owners have run Toyo's at an increased width (say 195 instead of 185), is there any reason for this??

AndrewMason

For about 5000 miles I ran Rainsport2 on the back and RE040 on the front. Standard wheels on pre FL 02 plate. The front felt as if on rails but was badly affected by road finish so gripped well but tramlined and at times scared the hell out of me. Rears in comparison seemed to sway a bit and sit into corners.

Now have T1Rs on front (standard size) for 1000 miles and these are more forgiving to poor road surface. I'm not sure if grip as well as the RE040 but they are more predictable so the car goes where you want rather than where the road chucks you. Still have the RS2 on rear.

Tread pattern on T1R and RS2 is near identical and yes the side walls are softer than RE040. Car feels more balanced so suggest the 2 tyres are similar. Overall the grip and predictability means that for me a better (faster) drive.
2002 Red. "Go-Fasta" stripes and matching wheels

chris3boro

Quote from: "Starfish"

Toyos   £216
Rainsport 2's   £244
Sportrac 3's   £257

Our MR2 is getting close to needing new tyres, hence considering looking into Toyo's instead of the RE040's. Do you mind revealing where you got your prices from?

On a general note I have noticed that some owners have run Toyo's at an increased width (say 195 instead of 185), is there any reason for this??

I looked through lots of sites and pieced together the best deals...

4 T1-Rs all from camskill for £216.36 posted
2 front sportrac 3's from mytyres, 2 rears from camskill, total £257.00
2 front rainsport 2's from allnewtyres, rears from camskill, total £244.78

All above prices are delivered and for pre facelift standard wheels (15 inch front and 16 inch rear tyres)

Hope that helps

Anonymous

Thanks Chris. Just had a rear pair of RE040's in OEM size for 16" rims fitted. Cheapest I could find was here:  m http://tyresavings.com/ m  costing £246 for the pair fully fitted through Halfords.  s:) :) s:)

chris3boro

Quote from: "Starfish"Thanks Chris. Just had a rear pair of RE040's in OEM size for 16" rims fitted. Cheapest I could find was here:  m http://tyresavings.com/ m  costing £246 for the pair fully fitted through Halfords.  s:) :) s:)

Ouch thats expensive! Shows how much you can save from extensive searching online

Anonymous

Quote from: "Starfish"Thanks Chris. Just had a rear pair of RE040's in OEM size for 16" rims fitted. Cheapest I could find was here:  m http://tyresavings.com/ m  costing £246 for the pair fully fitted through Halfords.  s:) :) s:)

Ouch thats expensive! Shows how much you can save from extensive searching online

Not really Camskills delivered =£212 before fitting. Guess this is the price one pays for keeping things stock  s;) ;) s;)  Tbh as I have used Bridgestone's on many cars to date, I was not 100% sure I really wished to trade down to Toyo's  s:) :) s:)

chris3boro

Most rate Toyos on the roadster but its all personal preference. It sounded v expensive but I guess its because of the different sizes compared to pre facelift. The prices Ive got for the toyos all round, which I rate, is great compared to 2 bridgestones, which you obviously rate too. If you like 'em stick with 'em I guess.

Tags: