FAILED!!!!!DRAT

Started by ray835, August 21, 2012, 16:05

ray835

me thinks i got mister jobs worth mot tester today he failed the 2 on emissions due to the pre-cats being removed,so wondering whats now the best way forward ? i don't want to go putting new pre-cats in only for them to knacker up the engine any idea's ...$%&@ing pre-cats. i explained this to the guy about the trouble these things have caused in the past and he weren't having any of it .....jobs worth!!!.....................mind you i should have known better when i took the 4x4 to them he failed that on a numberplate bulb..
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

Anonymous

for uk emission levels you dont need precats at all, just a healthy main cat. if it failed it will either be due to the main cat not being healthy and you will then need to ask the question y? also if your burning oil this will increase the hc count i think and again it will fail. so the question is what is the cars age / millage and any noticable oil usage?

Jon_G

+1
How did he know the precats had been removed? Either you told him, or he knows a bit about these cars and took a lucky guess!

What actually are your emission test results?

ray835

he told me that a new law came in last year that before a certain age pre-cats must be fitted .the engine had a re-build about 70,000 miles by the son-in-law who is a mech, its now got 84414 on the clock only using the normal amount of oil. 2000 model must be time for a new cat then.
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

FGrob

Quote from: "ray835"me thinks i got mister jobs worth mot tester today he failed the 2 on emissions due to the pre-cats being removed,so wondering whats now the best way forward ? i don't want to go putting new pre-cats in only for them to knacker up the engine any idea's ...$%&@ing pre-cats. i explained this to the guy about the trouble these things have caused in the past and he weren't having any of it .....jobs worth!!!.....................mind you i should have known better when i took the 4x4 to them he failed that on a numberplate bulb..
I take / taken my car to Toyota for the past 4 years with a Zero manifold  / 200 CEL cat and it's never failed - so I would find someone who knows what they are talking about.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

2 of the left

Quote from: "ray835"he told me that a new law came in last year that before a certain age pre-cats must be fitted .the engine had a re-build about 70,000 miles by the son-in-law who is a mech, its now got 84414 on the clock only using the normal amount of oil. 2000 model must be time for a new cat then.
What a load of Tosh!! As stated above all you need is the Main Cat in the UK!! Also have your engine warmed up ,if possible,before the Test
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

ray835

tick over was better than average but when he cranked it up to 3,500 revs it was high  0.3% vol   0.77 %vol on first fast idle test and on the second fas idle test 0.3 % vol  0.72 %vol whatever that means.

Anonymous

he just out for money take it somewhere and ask for just an emission test to see and get exact figures unless you got true figures from him. sort out what needs doing then go back and say all done retest and NEVER go back!!!!!!!!

ray835

Quote from: "2 of the left"
Quote from: "ray835"he told me that a new law came in last year that before a certain age pre-cats must be fitted .the engine had a re-build about 70,000 miles by the son-in-law who is a mech, its now got 84414 on the clock only using the normal amount of oil. 2000 model must be time for a new cat then.
What a load of Tosh!! As stated above all you need is the Main Cat in the UK!! Also have your engine warmed up ,if possible,before the Test
took it for a good run first

onion86

Quote from: "ray835"he told me that a new law came in last year that before a certain age pre-cats must be fitted
If a catalytic converter was fitted as standard then a catalytic must be present on the car during the MOT. This means your main cat, pre-cats are not the catalytic converter and are not required to pass the MOT...
Quote from: "theaa"A catalytic convertor fitted as original equipment but missing will be a reason for failure.

So are you saying he actually said the pre-cats beings out are why you failed (which again how did he know?)? If those are the actual figures then you failed and it's a problem with your main cat, nothing to do with the pre-cats so if he told you that then he doesn't know what he's talking about. Take it somewhere else.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

ray835

he didn't know said i should take it for a diagnostic test to find out whats going on....the son-in-law mentioned to them the pre-cats had been removed . the place is next door to the son-in-laws friends garage thinking they would be ok .the only thing i can think of is that when i had an injector failure it could have goosed the cat up and haven't used it much since then and still have half a tank of go go juice with red x in it

uktotty

Mine was .052 when they first tested it, he revved it like mad and got it down below .2
Job done

ray835

he also said de-cat manifolds are illegal and have stamped on them for track use only   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

ray835

Anonymous

Quote from: "ray835"he also said de-cat manifolds are illegal and have stamped on them for track use only   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Pre cats are totally different from  main cats.

Was there an oxygen tent nearby? Frankly I am amazed that this guy has enough brain function to breathe unaided.

He is conversing fecal matter through his rectum.

FGrob

Quote from: "ray835"he also said de-cat manifolds are illegal and have stamped on them for track use only   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
I will say that bloke is full of sh*t, he's got to be winding you up or he's looking to take you to the cleaners for a new manifold at a nice £1000+ Take it to Toyota let them do your test.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

ray835

son-in-laws a mechanic so repairs only cost me the price of the bits  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

FGrob

Quote from: "ray835"son-in-laws a mechanic so repairs only cost me the price of the bits  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
£1000 is just the bit  s:D :D s:D

FGrob

Quote from: "FGrob"
Quote from: "ray835"son-in-laws a mechanic so repairs only cost me the price of the bits  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
In fact bring it over to Stoke - Pinkstone Toyota, £27 for an MOT at the moment.

ray835

In fact bring it over to Stoke - Pinkstone Toyota, £27 for an MOT at the moment.
just cost me £40 for a failed test can't take it anywhere else it's logged in on the vosa system as a failure

ray835

mind you got a good excuse to swmbo, to get a nice shiny s/steel system now for my 2  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Steve Green

Copy of MOT rules here See section 7.1

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4318326/mot-inspection-manual-pdf-2-9-meg?da=y

How would they know on a retest that you had not changed the manifold since the first test for one that had a pre cat.

They cant dismantle anything to look.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

ray835

now we've hung drawn n quartered and burned this chap at the stake......any idea's on how to get the emissions down too keep mr jobsworth happy  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

uktotty

Yeah take it somewhere else, get it tested by a non moron!
My car has no precal, sports pipe, induction kit etc, IT PASSED.
Go away from Mr helmet cheese and take it elsewhere, if all else fails drive it fast before you get there

Steve Green

Quote from: "ray835"now we've hung drawn n quartered and burned this chap at the stake......any idea's on how to get the emissions down too keep mr jobsworth happy  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

It's going to get worse. The point is though, in this case that a different tester, not told about precat issue, cannot tell wether the precat is there or not without dismantling parts. Today he cant do that.
It might be that if an MOT tester knew about the precat issue, and that if a CHE manifold were fitted, he could fail an MOT test as a standard Cat is clearly missing. The Test does not differentiate between Pre Cats or standard Cats.

Talk to the Motorcycle community they are up in arms over many of the limitations the new MOT is throwing up.

I thin in this case the Original Tester was a little OTT, but reading the rules he has to work to, make his position difficult.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Tags: