FAILED!!!!!DRAT

Started by ray835, August 21, 2012, 16:05

Wabbitkilla

You can take it anywhere you like for an mot, this guy is a stunning con artist.

sent from a planet somewhere nearby
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

FGrob

Quote from: "Steve Green"
Quote from: "ray835"now we've hung drawn n quartered and burned this chap at the stake......any idea's on how to get the emissions down too keep mr jobsworth happy  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

It's going to get worse. The point is though, in this case that a different tester, not told about precat issue, cannot tell wether the precat is there or not without dismantling parts. Today he cant do that.
It might be that if an MOT tester knew about the precat issue, and that if a CHE manifold were fitted, he could fail an MOT test as a standard Cat is clearly missing. The Test does not differentiate between Pre Cats or standard Cats.

Talk to the Motorcycle community they are up in arms over many of the limitations the new MOT is throwing up.

I think in this case the Original Tester was a little OTT, but reading the rules he has to work to, make his position difficult.
I think it all boils down to "what is a pre-cat" - it's certainly not your main cat as these are before it and are fitted within the manifold, so by fitting a none standard manifold you are not removing the main cat which is the what is being tested in the MOT.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

ray835

tbh sooner its sorted i can get back out on the road n the roof off before winter comes .....been that busy with work the 2 hasn't had much use this year.
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

Steve Green

We are debating symantics and interpretation.
It's called a Pre Cat, (a Catalytic converter with another name) and was fitted as standard. So the reason for failure. A catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard is valid.
Just how the OP shoud proceed,is to find a friendly MOT tester who is prepared to accept the emissions numbers as proof of remedial work carried out.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

Anonymous

Surely then, its the "pre" that matters?

Also we are debating semantics.

mrzwei

Basically, the car either passes the emissions test or it doesn't, it's nothing to do with looking for 'cats'.
As Richard said, it could be a failed main cat or the engine may be burning too much oil, the mixture could be too rich or the MAF could need a clean or the O2 sensors could be faulty etc.
What would  I do? I'd put a code reader on it to see if there were any stored codes, I'd clean the MAF because it's easy and, as Totty said, thrash it a bit before the test and make sure they stick the probe up the pipe   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:   before the engine gets cold.
Good luck!
(If precats were an issue then most of the regulars on here would never pass an MOT).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

frogger

Many of these threads go off topic to an extent, as it is VERY simple :

Take it somewhere else

The MOT tester is taking you for a ride. Simple as that.
It is also BS that you "can't take it anywhere else it's logged in on the vosa system as a failure".

Take it somewhere else, never look back to that garage, and live a happier life forever more.

Steve Green

Quote from: "M R 2"Surely then, its the "pre" that matters?

Also we are debating semantics.

Typo, sorry.

MOT test only says Catalytic Converter, and whether that is the first, second, pre, post or other is absolutely irrelevant.

These rules came into force in January 2012. Few MOT testers would be aware of the presence of the Pre Catalytic Converters on an MR2 so will pass a car on emissions only, otherwise the rules he must follow are clear.

This problem will get worse for motorcyclists and the car modification community at large as the legislators apply more and more restriction on what modifications can be legally carried out on a standard production vehicle.

This is the very tip of an iceberg that may come back and bite if the rules are applied retrospecively.

Every time I take my Kit car to a new MOT tester I have to show him the section that says my Zetec powered car is a visual only emission test!
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

ray835

chicken or egg   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

ray835

the maf sensor did come to mind ...the fuel economy on a long run is very good, went to scotland last year for our hols  at a steady 60mph was averaging 50-55 mpg which is good compared with the 4x4 which i only get 30mpg ....

ray835

whats the best way to clean the maf sensor anyone...

Anonymous

ray835

cheers for that will give it a go ......just need to know we're to get some carb cleaner from now

Jon_G

Try eBay

stargazer30

Quote from: "Steve Green"MOT test only says Catalytic Converter, and whether that is the first, second, pre, post or other is absolutely irrelevant.

These rules came into force in January 2012. Few MOT testers would be aware of the presence of the Pre Catalytic Converters on an MR2 so will pass a car on emissions only, otherwise the rules he must follow are clear.

I was thinking this too and I hope I'm wrong.  The new 2012 MOT rules can depending on how you read them mean removing the pre cats is a fail.  99% of the time the MOT tester would not know the MR2 had them and would not check they are present so would just do an emissions test.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

ray835

tweeks is only down the road they should have some

ray835

Quote from: "stargazer30"
Quote from: "Steve Green"MOT test only says Catalytic Converter, and whether that is the first, second, pre, post or other is absolutely irrelevant.

I was thinking this too and I hope I'm wrong.  The new 2012 MOT rules can depending on how you read them mean removing the pre cats is a fail.  99% of the time the MOT tester would not know the MR2 had them and would not check they are present so would just do an emissions test.
so everyone thats got a de-cat manifold is well stuffed next time they go for a test

2 of the left

Well the moral of the story is - Don't say a word about Precats - Have a fully warmed up engine as the 2 goes into test - Should it fail emission test then check/change the main cat- clean the MAF and go for Retest!! (Not necessarily in that order!!)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Anonymous

Or find a really nice tester and **cough** buy them a drink

FGrob

Quote from: "stargazer30"

Well lets see what happens in a couple of weeks time when I take mine to Toyota for it's normal MOT, no changes for the last three years to the exhaust sytem, so if anyone is going to pick up on it, I'm sure it will be Toyota - Don't you think
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

ray835

will keep my fingers crossed for you ....  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

ray835

apparently a re-mapping is also an immediate fail ...

FGrob

Quote from: "ray835"will keep my fingers crossed for you ....  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
Toyota are more worried about scratching the car with the jack then anything else, in fact last year they changed the MOT jack so they could lift the car without causing any issues.

I've had an aftermarket manifold (Che then Zero) on my car for the last 6 1/2 years, even during it's warranty period it was never questioned, am I worried - well yes but that's only normal when you take any car for MOT.

Quote from: "ray835"apparently a re-mapping is also an immediate fail ....

Well that confirms the bloke is a complete  sarsehole arsehole sarsehole  then - you can't re-map a standard ECU, also how will he tell the car is fitted with a replacement ECU without removing all the rear box- not allowed according to the rules. This sounds more like a wind up than a person talking sense.

ray835

the thing that peed me off it passed all the major safety checks with flying colours for it to be road worthy.......

ray835

got the mapping and chipping info from another forum  m http://www.smartz.co.uk/showthread.php? ... -MOT-scope m

Tags: